CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Window/Trunk Release Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Convertable
Angry Window/Trunk Release Not Working

I've read through all of the widow posts, but not have seen anything on this issue. I had a faulty EIS. Had it repaired and reprogrammed. The car starts and runs great and the SRS light is no longer flashing, the turn signals and wipers are now working. However, the front window switches are not working and when I use the rear window switches the front and rear window goes down and up simultaneously. And, the trunk release switch is not working. The trunk opener button on the key fob also does not work. Not sure where to start on this issue! I am sure, however, that I was getting many shorts trying to start the car with the bad EIS. Perhaps I shorted out the CAN. I ran a scan and everything was historic except B1056 Fault CAN Communication with: TSG4 N69/4.
Thank in advance!!
Old 03-30-2021, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Sounds like your version coding (programming) is incorrect, the EIS is also the gateway between the power-train CANBus and interior CANBus and the power window and central locking system infrastructure and operation are entirely different in the coupe and cabriolet .

Last edited by Serndipity; 03-30-2021 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2dogsrock (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info! I let the guy know who programmed the EIS. He seemed to know what you're talking about.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:52 PM

to make sure I understand, seems as though the programming of the EIS was incorrect???
Old 04-02-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by 2dogsrock
to make sure I understand, seems as though the programming of the EIS was incorrect???
I was curious as to why you replaced your EIS and read your prior post during the last month or so.

Essentially you were having intermittent no crank no start issues, which likely was a problem with your drive authorization system (DAS) or a malfunctioning power train module, as well as an a number of malfunctioning interior system modules (e.g. turn signals, windshield wiper, SRS lamp warning, horn etc.).

Then you found a guy on eBay to repair and reprogram it, which must be done using you VIN.

The good news is that all of the aforementioned malfunctions appear to have been solved, but several new issues related to the interior CANBus have developed, where each of which is specific to only the cabriolet model.

As example, as shown below, your B1056 Fault CAN Communication with TSG4 N69/4 DTC, for a right rear window control module makes no sense (e.g. there only N69/3 or N69/4 window control modules in the coupe model).

Here is a diagram showing how the window system works in the cabriolet models.

Note that there is a profound difference between the coupe and cabriolet.

The next diagram shows how the remote trunk release works on the cabriolet.

More specifically, the N52 power roof controller communicates (e.g. via 2 way CANBus signaling ) with the N73 EIS, N70 overhead control panel, N72 lower control field and A37 central locking PSE control modules and if the signaling is incorrect, you'll get the all of the anomalies that you're currently experiencing.

I trust that, since your windows and remote trunk release worked properly prior to the EIS repair and programing and now doesn't, you know where to initially focus.

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-02-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:22 PM

Yes, I do. I think the issue was that he programmed it for the coupe. He has ordered another cabriolet EIS, has my VIN, and when he receives it he will reprogram. He does understand the issue and explained, like you have, why the new issues have appeared.
Thank Again!!!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:07 PM

The repair guy got another EIS from a Cabriolet and programmed it to my VIN. The vehicle starts and runs great with none of the no crank, no dash lights, no start issues. The remote trunk release now works, but the front widow switches still do not. When I press the rear window switch both front and rear go down like they do when I put the top down. I don't think the guy can do any more to help this situation. The old EIS would cause shorts within the vehicle sometimes. I would have to reset the car to even get power to the overhead lights!. The original EIS may have shorted something within the switch.