CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Roof locks out on opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mercerdes clk320 convertible
Roof locks out on opening

So I have read through the many posts on roof issues but none seem to help with my issue, this I believe is a mechincal problem. When opening the roof all the windows operate as they shoud the rear bow unlatches and lifts then the compart lid opens the bow folds back down and then the roof attempts to fold back....then I hear a clunk and the roof stops, I then need to reset the roof control unit to close the roof, even if I assist the roof back it still pretty diffcult. If I manually open the roof it will close all ok using the S84 button, the head resets work ok its just on opening. I'm thinking its ever a solnoid on the pump or one of the pistons for the main roof section seal has gone. I only replaced the pump a year ago although it was with a secondhand one from a breakers, I'm tempted to try another pump as its easier to do this then it is changing the hydraulic pistons from what I can see. To note both cables on the roof are ok as the front section does fold up when the handle is released.

Any help is appreciated
Old 04-19-2021, 03:59 AM

So no one has any ideas or help ?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Hi Jamie,

You can test the pump by putting the rear head rests up and down with the switch on the dash. If they do go up and down, then the pump and the hydraulics are probably okay.

When you manually reset the roof, do you follow this procedure? If not that would explain why it's so hard to assist the roof back.

If the roof closes without any problem then I think all your solenoids are okay.

I had what sounds like a similar fault and was greatly helped by Klaus from TopHydraulics and Serendipity >>>> https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...p-problem.html
Old 04-19-2021, 07:46 AM

As mentioned the headrests work all OK, the roof was working fine. It attemps to open but then just locks out. I can manually open as per the video and it will close fine. I have checked the inputs to the controller all OK. Its just strange how it attemps to fold back the interior light dims as if the motor is struggling then theres click and it stops.
The following users liked this post:
Montreal300 (10-27-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:06 AM

Had forgot about this post as the car has been laid up for the winter, but know the sun is here I would like to resolve this issue, if anyone can provide advice it would be appreciated.