Notices
CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK convertible top problem.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM

CLK 230 Convertible 1999
CLK convertible top problem.

Hi, My 1999 CLK 230K convertible has a wee challenge.

The top opens perfectly with all functions completed successfully,

When I close the hood, though, all systems work until the rear window is supposed to lift up so that the metal case cover can fold back into place.

At this point, the operation stops completely.

The rest of the operation can be done manually by releasing the pressure on the pump, liifing the rear window, replacing the metal case cover, then putting the bow window down. The rear window is then locked into place by raising and lowering the rear head restraints.

Both the complete hydralic pump AND the control unit have been replaced. Neither of which makes any difference.

Any thoughts and ideas would be very gratefully received.

David
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
David.......from what you have described, it appears that your problem is likely being caused by a malfunctioning input/output to the soft top controller and replacing the hydraulic pump and controller was an unnecessary and expensive repair.

As shown below, the fault occurs at stage 6, while closing the roof, which is prohibiting stage 7 to function properly.

The next document shows the necessary actualization's, at each stage, that are required for the power roof operation to proceed.

Further analysis of this information will greatly assist in diagnosing/troubleshooting/repairing the power roof.

Typically, the repair will be a malfunctioning position/limit switch or hydraulic cylinder, which then can be DIY or shop corrected at low cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Serndipity For This Useful Post:
Mercnotworking (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 PM

CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Hi Serndipity,

Thank you so much for helping a lost soul out. It is very much appreciated.

Using your wonderful diagrams it seems like either the soft top open limit switch (S84/13s2) or the Soft top closed limit switch (S84/13s1) may be to blame.

The wonderful Klaus from TopHydraulics has suggested this is on the right hand side by the main ram. Is it just a matter of removing the rear seats to be able to get this sensor out?

Thanks again,

David

Of course, you are right about the expensive pump and control unit but, for me, that's part of the journey of my first "project car".
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Mercnotworking View Post

Hi Serndipity, Thank you so much for helping a lost soul out. It is very much appreciated.

Using your wonderful diagrams it seems like either the soft top open limit switch (S84/13s2) or the Soft top closed limit switch (S84/13s1) may be to blame.

Actually, I've found them more valuable than having the MB STAR diagnostic trouble codes, which tells you that a position/limit is implausible or a cylinder has taken to long to actuate, because of the added information necessary for the follow on troubleshooting process.

You're correct in your initial diagnosis, noticing that for stage 6 operation, not only that S84/13s1 must be actuated, but S84/13s2 actuation should be released from being actuated, as well.

The following document will provide additional information related to the purpose and function of soft top cover locking. Note: Which is also known as the A25/13s1/13s2.

The status of every system position/limit switch can be checked by removing the controllers 55 pin harness connector and with a multimeter (set to read ohms, from a specific harness pin to vehicle ground) to see if a switch has actuated or not, at any stage of roof operation. However, since access to the controller is a PITA, there is another way to do this.

Access to the A25 switch group is very accessible, by only removing a carpet panel inside the soft top storage compartment, where you'll have direct access to the A25 connector pin out. You'll also be able to use the 10mm wrench to manually lock/unlock A25 to verify that it's internal switches are working properly, as well to see if it's hydraulic cylinder is leaking. Here's the electrical diagram that will identify the connecto's color codes, where pin 1 should be solid brown and the W6 ground point.

Should you find everything checks out OK, another suspect would be the rear bow up/down position/limit switch, S84/15, which is attached the left side bow up/down cylinder, described below.

The switch has a sliding arm that is clipped onto the end of the cylinder rod, with a clip, that breaks loose.

Read this thread for more details
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-not-open.html

The wonderful Klaus from TopHydraulics has suggested this is on the right hand side by the main ram. Is it just a matter of removing the rear seats to be able to get this sensor out?

Top Hydraulics has been the preferred go to place for reman hydraulic components and if you haven't been web site recently, Klaus has recently produced a fabulous 12 chapter video series, detailing how to easily access and replace everything related to our A208 hydraulics.

https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/...benz-a208-info

Of course, you are right about the expensive pump and control unit but, for me, that's part of the journey of my first "project car".

Last edited by Serndipity; 12-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM

CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Dear Serndipity,

Thank you so much again for your help. Although, I am not very popular with my wife for spending hours yesterday watching Klaus's wonderful videos.

Seriously, this is very, very helpful.

Best wishes

David
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM

CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Hooray! It works!!

Thank you again for your help. I have found and replaced the offending sensor and now the power hood works well.

Hereís what I did.

Removed rear seats. Top hydraulics FANTASTIC video shows how:

Thank you Klaus!!

I found and removed the sensor which is attached to the frame to the left of the left hand Main lift cylinder. See
and attached pic.

The MB part number is 2088202410. There seems to be 2 versions of this part with slightly different numbers, See attached pics.

My sensor was bought through Ebay and cost 20 Euros and 15 euros for postage.

Itís pretty easy to unclip the sensor, but itís taken 18 months to work out what was wrong.

Best wishes

David

Location of Sensor.

Picture of my sensor

Picture of slightly different sensor
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 PM

Top not closing

I have a 99 CLK that I just bought and in great shape, and when I open the top it's flawless, but when I try and close it nothing happens. Nada! I've watched all of Klaus's videos and still am stumped. What next?

My 99 320CLK, 208.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Repairing your roof begins with diagnosis and troubleshooting.

Start here

Then refer the stages of operation in post #2.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM

CLK 230 Convertible 1999
That is so beautiful. Puts my shabby old banger to shame.