CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 CLK 430 Cab rear tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
2003 CLK 430 Cab rear tire suggestions

First the Joyous News!

We are officially part of the MB Family! After helping our son get his first car (he's 20, not 16), a 2011 E 350 with 120k, good service records history, and an immaculate interior and engine compartment, I was so impressed with the pragmatic German engineering that we went out and found this gem for my wife.

It's a 2003 CLK 430 Cabriolet with 45,463 miles on it! It is in fantastic condition, must have been garaged, one lady owner prior. Yes, there are a few things to address, and I look forward to joining the conversations here.

First thing I want to do is replace the rear tires. I have never had staggered wheels before. Right now they REALLY sing at highway speeds. So, a few questions . . .

1 - What are the Quietest 245/40/17's out there?

2 - Is that fat outer tread pattern important? I see some tire models have it and others are just the straightforward 4-5 rib design. We will not be hot rodding or driving aggressively in this car. So do I need to match that tread pattern? Which tread pattern will provide a quieter ride? And am I correct to surmise from my readings that you only typically get about 30k out of a set of these?

3 - Finally, I am all on board with MB factory specs and recs (in fact I think it's AWESOME that there is 1 oil and 1 filter choice, don't have to stand there wasting time figuring out brands and viscosities, and thank you MB engineers for putting the filter on top of the engine), but is moiving up in tire aspect ratio going to give me a softer more comfortable ride with no decrease in safety or fender rubbing? Moving from stock 245/40's up to a 245/45 245/50?

Thanks to all who respond!
Everybody loves pics.
Here's a couple.

The new baby! And yes those headlights are OEM and that clear!

Thanks!
Ty

Wanting to understand the importance and need for the fat outboard tread section as it relates to safety and quietness.