CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Parking brake warning randomly displays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Parking brake warning randomly displays

[Car - 2000 CLK430] My parking brake warning flashes intermittently at random intervals while driving; sometimes every few seconds to sometimes several minutes even though my parking brake isn't on. I've tested the switch, and even removed it, but the warning keeps randomly appearing. I also confirmed the problem isn't low brake fluid (low brake fluid turns on the same warning light, but with a different message).

Seems like a short in the wire, but I haven't been able to find it. Nothing I do such as wiggling wires, turning or adjusting the steering wheel in and out, or traveling over bumpy roads seems to have any effect on the randomness though.

Has anyone seen this problem before, or have any ideas on what to check? I don't have a good idea of where the wires run. I did remove a panel under the dash and traced the wire as far as I could (from the parking brake switch to the center console), but jiggling it and moving it various ways had no effect.

Thanks