CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do you change the steering box?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2023 | 07:53 PM

2002 CLK320
How do you change the steering box?

Hey guys, so I have a rough idea on how I am going to change the steering box, but cannot find any exact tutorial on how to do it. I bought a used steering box with the pitman arm still attached, that way I don’t have to deal with pulling the pitman arm off. So from what I understand, you need to syphon all the power steering fluid out, disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm (making sure wheels stay straight), jack engine up a bit to give yourself access, disconnect hydraulic lines, dismount the steering box (from the 3 bolts behind driver side wheel), and then slide the steering box off the steering coupler. Am I missing anything? Also, how does the steering box get disconnected for the coupler? Do you just slide the box off? Or is there a bolt you need to loosen? Also, how do I ensure the steering box adjustment is proper before installing it? Because adjusting it while it is in the car with the engine in is a nightmare, and I’d rather adjust it before installing it. Any info helps. Thank you!