CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

w208 CLK320 spring pads and rim size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
w208 CLK320 '98
Question w208 CLK320 spring pads and rim size

Hello everyone!

I am having some troubles figuring out some things regarding spring caps and rim size for my CLK.
Before I begin, I did look trough the forum for this but I did not have success finding what I needed - sorry if I missed it somewhere.

The first part is regarding spring pads, I know what they are, where they go and what they do. The thing is that I have no idea where to acquire them. No way to do that in Croatia that I could find, but anything from EU works, just can't find it. Most shops here just say "your pads are fine" or "what do you mean change spring pads" as there are no real "tuning shops" here, just regular mechanic workshops for repairs. My CLK is sitting on Eibach Sportline springs and because of that it has a low ride height. I was thinking of getting it 5-10mm higher if that is possible.

The second question is regarding wheels. Just a note, my car does has 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 tyre sizes written in car documents. I did find all the tables regarding wheel and tyre sizes here on the forum, but my question stems from 2 different emails that I received when I asked about a specific wheel being put on my car.
Wheel model in question is Japan Racing 12. I want to go for the 17" ET35 8J wheel. I sent a mail to JR and to a a respectable local dealer about the wheels and got two different answers. It is important to note that I did let both parties know that it is sitting on Eibach springs and that it is significantly lower than factory, and that the brakes are completely stock.
Japan Racing Answer:
Hi,

I have found your brake disc in our database, the problem is that hub in your car sticking out so much.

If you would like to mount 17x7 in front you have to go with ET25, but 17x8 ET30 on rear wont fit, there is not any possibility to mount 8J on rear because of this hub..
Local dealer Answer:
Hello,
The wheel will fit on your car as it falls in within spec for it.
These are some picture of my car on stock 16" wheels.

Rear side

Front side

Side shot
​​​​​​​

Any help or information about this is much appreciated as I do not have the option of trying out many wheels before actually putting them on the car so I can't really go by trial and error.

TL;DR
Having trouble finding spring pads where I live or for order online and can't decide on wheels (JR12 ET35 8J) due to contraindicating information from different sources.

Last edited by Sad208; 01-29-2024 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Inserting pictures of current height
Old 01-29-2024, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 320
not sure if the wheels would fit but i wouldnt recommend them. id recommend just trying to find some 17's that came on the car, maybe the W210 or something. older mercedes 17's.

changing the ride height obviously would be major work. even just paying to have some one swap stock springs.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
w208 CLK320 '98
Originally Posted by DeLasse
not sure if the wheels would fit but i wouldnt recommend them. id recommend just trying to find some 17's that came on the car, maybe the W210 or something. older mercedes 17's.

changing the ride height obviously would be major work. even just paying to have some one swap stock springs.
Ride height is already changed. I did consider some MB wheels at 17" but I just don't dig the look and I don't want to go to above 17". I'm asking because wheel characteristics of MB wheels go to even 9J on an ET30 and people still fit them on their car somehow. All I want to see if I will have issues with these measurements.