CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CD Changer dead - no power in cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK230 Cabrio
CD Changer dead - no power in cable

Hey all,

I hope you can help point me in the right direction.

I have the Audio 30 APS head unit and a MC3296 cd changer. When I press the CC/CD button on the head unit, I get "no CD" (and "no CC", but that's for another day). The CD Changer seems all dead: no light in the eject button. I have unplugged the cd changer cable and measured each connector across the negative battery terminal and I get 0 voltage on all pins. (I have not been able to find a diagram for the connector, so I just tried every pin). The cable is analog btw - no orange fiber optics cable. And all fuses have been checked.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Take out the back seats and trace the cable to a junction and measure? Take out head unit and measure? It a convertible, if that makes a difference.

Any help is much appreciated!

Pete

Old 03-30-2024, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,044 Likes on 797 Posts
G550
Did you try unplugging the cable at the head unit and ring the cable pin-to-pin / end-to-end for continuity?

Does this connector configuration look right?
Old 03-30-2024, 01:14 PM

99 CLK230 Cabrio
The diagram is spot on, thanks! (at least in shape and pin position).

And good idea about measuring the full cable connection. I will try and find the removal tools for the head unit and give it a shot. Just bought the car...

Thanks again

Pete
Old 05-12-2024, 04:42 AM

99 CLK230 Cabrio
SOLVED :-)

to cut a loooong story short: I pulled out the head unit and spent a fair bit of quality time with my multimeter, but could not find any continuity between the head unit and the cd cable in the trunk. Finally I noticed an empty connector socket on the back of the HU. And after digging around a bit in the birds nest of cables behind the HU, I find an orphan cable and plugged that into the missing socket.

And that was it!

So streborx, you were so right in suggesting to measure the cables. It just didn't realize it would be that easy. Thanks for your help!!

Pete