CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheels hop/skid when turning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Wheels hop/skid when turning...

Every since I replaced my spring pads in the front to a #1, I've been experiencing some strange wheel hop. This only happens when I do a full turn at 1 to 2 mph...like in a parking lot or taking a slow U turn. The wheels, when turned, "hop" and scutter as I am turning and then stop when I drive straight. I've just had it aligned and the problem persists...

Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 S550 4Matic
Sounds like you are rolling over the rocks on the road and not grabbing the asphalt. Since you are staying flat through the corner and skimming over the surface imperfections you can feel it more now with #1 pads.

just my idea.......if that isn't it???
Old 12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
That's what I thought at first...I was like, "wtf, am I running over something?" But now it happens ALL the time...even worse when the ground it wet.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally Posted by str8ridin
That's what I thought at first...I was like, "wtf, am I running over something?" But now it happens ALL the time...even worse when the ground it wet.
maybe with #1 pads, your car is too low, and while doing a full turn, the wheels are rubbing against the fenderwell...

if it rubs against it, it won't necessarily hop, but, the car will feel like its choking (maybe a bad description)... it will be like a smooth drive, then it gets a little choppy until you straighten out the car..

it happens to me too... so, nowadays, instead of doing a U-turn, i do a 3-point turn unless there is a ample room for a U-Turn where I don't have to turn my steering wheel completely...
Old 01-22-2005, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by mmgrad
maybe with #1 pads, your car is too low, and while doing a full turn, the wheels are rubbing against the fenderwell...

if it rubs against it, it won't necessarily hop, but, the car will feel like its choking (maybe a bad description)... it will be like a smooth drive, then it gets a little choppy until you straighten out the car..

it happens to me too... so, nowadays, instead of doing a U-turn, i do a 3-point turn unless there is a ample room for a U-Turn where I don't have to turn my steering wheel completely...
Interesting. So does it 'scutter' across the floor, meaning do you feel this rubbing? Man, this problem is getting real bad...even with a small30 degree turn when going slow. It's almost like one wheel is going straight while only one is turning!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by str8ridin
Every since I replaced my spring pads in the front to a #1, I've been experiencing some strange wheel hop. This only happens when I do a full turn at 1 to 2 mph...like in a parking lot or taking a slow U turn. The wheels, when turned, "hop" and scutter as I am turning and then stop when I drive straight. I've just had it aligned and the problem persists...

Any ideas?
I get that sometimes... but it isn't that your car is lowered. I had that problem with my CLK when it was on Stock suspension and wheels. When i come to a stop at a stop light or sign.. it seems my car comes to a skid or something, and u can hear the wheels giving out in front or something. Its wierd, but i heard other people have this problem also. Im talking .. i am going a very slow speed to a halt and the wheels seem like they are skidding in front. Dunno. When you turn, same thing. I've since went with a lowered suspension and #1 pads and rolling on 19's. I still get it at times.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:39 PM

CLS w/ 360 Forged wheels......
I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy so I got new tires and that took care of problem...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 AM

MB
I had that same problem too when I was on my stock 17" wheels after being lowered. When I changed to 19" wheels, the problem went away, but after like a year driving it seems to start coming back. Maybe it's the tires huh?

Solihin
Old 01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Tires, eh? Interesting. And you say that took care of the problem. Do you guys think that it's the tires rubbing against the supension components or fenderwall?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Ill tell you what my car has been doing this as of late and its driving me nuts...When I was putting on a new fender this weekend I noticed that my tires are bald on the inside portion of the tire......I hope new tires will solve this. I almost have to do a 3 point turn if im going really really slow ...like under 5 mph....By the way my car is really really low...not sure if thats part of the problem either??
Old 01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by proform
Ill tell you what my car has been doing this as of late and its driving me nuts...When I was putting on a new fender this weekend I noticed that my tires are bald on the inside portion of the tire......I hope new tires will solve this.
New tires will solve the problem of inner sides wearing out.

...but won't prevent it from happening again. You need an alignement and some camber bolts!

But to stay on topic, I had the car aligned the other day (had to take the front bumper off for their equipment to work) and it is straight as an arrow, but the "scuttering" is still there....MORE so when the car/tires are cold.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
I get the same thing but only when tires are cold and surface/outdoor temp is cold. The colder the temp, the bigger the hop.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:41 PM

a Black
mine does it too. I am surprised that is did not always happen with your ride. The tires and suspension are made to manuver at speed, thus no speed causes the rear tires to push the fronts through the slow turn....ie you get a skipping effect. I am not sure why it would be more noticable with #1 pads, though. However a softer tire may make a difference.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Small Update..

Originally Posted by CLKVegas
mine does it too. I am surprised that is did not always happen with your ride. The tires and suspension are made to manuver at speed, thus no speed causes the rear tires to push the fronts through the slow turn....ie you get a skipping effect. I am not sure why it would be more noticable with #1 pads, though. However a softer tire may make a difference.

Your car did the all the time? Did you buy it brand new? Weird, but what you said makes sense, but would make more sense for a high performance car, not our Mercedes!

Anyway, I just replaced the steering damper under the car to see if that solves the problem, and it did....just slightly though. Not enough to make that the culprit.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Update

Got rid of my Bridgestone Potenzea S03's and replaced them with some Pirelli P-Zero's.

The problem is gone.

It looks as though negative camber on a soft tire created lumpy inner tire wear, which when turned, would "catch, grab, catch, grab" and created this problem.

That's all that it was for me!

And on a side note, these new tires are soooo quite, I had no idea my CLK's engine and 55 Intake sounded so good!

So, check for uneven inner tire wear and that could be your culprit.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 PM

CLK 320
Wow. I thought it was just the floor of our garage that caused this, but I tried to explain this hop affect to the dealer with no usefull response. I have had the same experience on the stock contis that came on the new clk. I noticed it would only really happen when it was wet out or on slick floors like my garage.

Just recently, I put on som Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's 18's and the problem has gone away. I have to say that the wet traction and overall responsivness of these tires are a huge improvement over the Continentals. I don't think I'll be going back.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
I have this same issue too!

I had this on stock 17" with Michelin Pilots ans still get it to some extent on brand new Yokohama EVS100's. Also tried alignment and it seemed to help a little.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Just had new tires put on yesterday and the skipping/skiiding sensation is gone....The inner tread on my front tires was all but gone. New tires will fix this problem.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Just had new tires put on yesterday and the skipping/skiiding sensation is gone....The inner tread on my front tires was all but gone. New tires will fix this problem.

Awesome! But we should remember that inner tread wear is just a symptom of the real problem....off camber/off alignment. For everyday driving, the camber need not be so negative.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM

were can I buy camber bolts?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
were can I buy camber bolts?

Thanks
The dealer has camber bolts and should be able to keep your car aligned to factory specifications. But from what I've read, it seems as though as the weight of the car takes it's toll on the suspension components, over time, slight negative camber starts to happen. This is why a regular alignment is a good investment for your tires.

Once you start modding the suspension, specifically lowering it, then it get's harder and harder to bring the wheels back to stock specs. So Camber Kits are necessary. SpeedyBenz on this forum sells rear camber kits for our cars. K-Mac in Australia sell front and back camber kits for our cars to make them fully adjustable.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
I had this same sensation, and last week replaced the ball joints. Problem gone...for now.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:09 PM

Thanks Str8
Old 03-31-2005, 06:46 PM

99 CLK 320, 2000 GSXR 750
You are to low, my car did it all the time. This is how it was explained to me by the place that did my alignment and front KMAC kit.

If you look at most MB's, when in a complete turn (lock to lock) the tires actually lean at an angle. This adds to the MB's ability to do tight turns in tight spots like when you park. The problem is when you have your car to low and out of alignment as well as having tires that are rubber bands, the actual contact patch of the tire is actually smaller and at an angle. The weight of the car and the tire lean angle makes the tires feel like they are sliding or being pushed when in the turn.

There are many reasons for why you should bring it up a bit but one big one is that the steering geometry is being pushed to its limits and not good for the car. AFter installed the KMAC front kit and brought it up on pad size it works well.

Also, I should have known that my Eibach springs are going to settle, so at best case you will need to have your front end adjusted at minimum of one time after the initial install.

Now, no problems what so ever.