CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Window question - wind/road noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004 | 02:05 PM

Yes
Unhappy Window question - wind/road noise

I searched and read through countless threads, but I did not find a definitive answer...

On my 00 CLK 430, I get a lot of wind noise from the rear part of my driver side window when it is closed (just behind my left shoulder). I find that if I lower the window, then open/slam the door shut and roll the window back up, the noise vanishes.

There were several threads posted about how the newer models have the feature that lowers the window slightly when the door is opened and then raises back up when closed. I assume I cannot retrofit this function.

There were also threads about how the 'nub' on the weatherstripping was causing the window not to seal properly. I replaced the weatherstripping and there is no clearance problem with the nub.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem? Can the door be adjusted? Can the window be adjusted?

The passenger side window does not experience the same wind/road noise.

I am stumped... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dan
Old 12-28-2004 | 04:09 PM

CLK430
I had the same problem on my 01CLK430. I found there was a small gap between the window and the vertical rubber molding. You have to look at the window at an angle to see it.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the molding and readjusted the window (under warranty). Took care of the problem.

-HC
Old 12-28-2004 | 04:34 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by UMR90
I had the same problem on my 01CLK430. I found there was a small gap between the window and the vertical rubber molding. You have to look at the window at an angle to see it.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the molding and readjusted the window (under warranty). Took care of the problem.

-HC
Thank you for the reply. I see the gap that you are referring to, however I already replaced the rubber molding. I guess I will see if the dealer can adjust my window.

-Dan
Old 12-28-2004 | 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by dandingo
Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem? Can the door be adjusted? Can the window be adjusted?
Yes, the door can be adjusted.
Yes, the window can be adjusted.

Make sure you find a tech that "cares" and is knowledgable with the W208. It may take some time, but it can be adjusted to your satisfaction
Old 12-28-2004 | 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chappy
Yes, the door can be adjusted.
Yes, the window can be adjusted.

Make sure you find a tech that "cares" and is knowledgable with the W208. It may take some time, but it can be adjusted to your satisfaction
Interesting I have the same problem. Next time it goes in I will have them look at it. Thanks
Old 12-28-2004 | 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by NorCalGregclk55
Interesting I have the same problem. Next time it goes in I will have them look at it. Thanks
If you get a tech that really takes pride in his work, the problem will get eliminated.
Old 01-06-2005 | 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get the door adjusted. My 02' has the same issue, and it goes away for a short time, and then re-appears. Have the door readjusted 1/2 dozen times by two dealers because they couldn't get it right. The ended up replacing not only the window, but all of the seals. Their explination: Due to the frameless windows, the rubber seals expand and contract more than normal to provide protection during the season change. This change in the rubber seals deteriorates them quickly. The factory is the only place the door should be removed, due to it's weight and hinge. It never sits correctly when adjusted / removed by a body shop, both private and MB. - Ray Catena MB, Edison, NJ.

Nice thing is the car is almost never driven now, so I don't even pay attention to it's shortfalls. Bad thing is, the problem will never go away. :-( Good luck.
Old 01-08-2005 | 01:33 PM

CLK430 designo
There were several threads posted about how the newer models have the feature that lowers the window slightly when the door is opened and then raises back up when closed. I assume I cannot retrofit this function.
I have a 2000 and mine has the capability. When I changed my battery I had to reset codes to get the windows to function normally again. It told in the owners manual how to do this. You could try that and see if it works.
Old 01-08-2005 | 01:42 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by Ironmudd
I have a 2000 and mine has the capability. When I changed my battery I had to reset codes to get the windows to function normally again. It told in the owners manual how to do this. You could try that and see if it works.
Thanks for the reply. I checked the owner's manual and there was no mention of resetting any codes. I also checked the various other documents that came with the car, but I couldn't find the information you are referring to.

Do you recall where exactly you saw this info?

Thanks.

-Dan
Old 01-08-2005 | 02:16 PM

MB
Originally Posted by ldangeli
It never sits correctly when adjusted / removed by a body shop, both private and MB. - Ray Catena MB, Edison, NJ.

Nice thing is the car is almost never driven now, so I don't even pay attention to it's shortfalls. Bad thing is, the problem will never go away. :-( Good luck.
My driver side door was hit by someone and the bodyshop replaced the door. I felt that it was a lot noisier than before the accident but I thought my tires are almost worn out. It was pretty noisy that it almost the same as when I was in my friend's Accord and civic. I have an 02 CLK 430 and I'm running on Dunlop Sport 9000 (235/35 and 265/30).

Might it be the tires? or the door and window?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2005 | 12:44 PM

CLK430 designo
Thanks for the reply. I checked the owner's manual and there was no mention of resetting any codes. I also checked the various other documents that came with the car, but I couldn't find the information you are referring to.

Do you recall where exactly you saw this info?

Thanks.

-Dan
I'll look at mine tonight and let you know. I think it was in the section about disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-11-2005 | 05:21 PM

CLK320
very easy to fix

I had excessive road noise and i spent $11 to fix it. I bought some foam weather molding tape and put it on the window molding. now the window iw tight and i have no road noise.
Old 01-14-2005 | 02:03 PM

CLK430 designo
"To resynchronize, press ^ side of power window switch until the window is completely closed and hold for an additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening procedure of the windows should now be restored."

Hope that works. If not, maybe it was just an option that I had on my car...
Old 01-14-2005 | 03:39 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by Ironmudd
"To resynchronize, press ^ side of power window switch until the window is completely closed and hold for an additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening procedure of the windows should now be restored."

Hope that works. If not, maybe it was just an option that I had on my car...
Thanks for the reply. The instructions sound like the procedure to resync the auto-up/down feature. Just to clarify... wehn you open your car door, does the window slide down a tiny bit and then slide back up to the fully closed position once the door is shut?

I will give it a try tonight.

-Dan
Old 01-15-2005 | 11:40 AM

CLK430 designo
wehn you open your car door, does the window slide down a tiny bit and then slide back up to the fully closed position once the door is shut?

-Dan
Yep, that's what it does.
Old 01-25-2005 | 06:20 AM

17 E220d all-terrrain, 92 SL500, 16 C250D Wagon, 16 A200 (wife)
'There were several threads posted about how the newer models have the feature that lowers the window slightly when the door is opened and then raises back up when closed. I assume I cannot retrofit this function.'

Dandingo, I've made a unit to fit to my R129 to drop the window, considering making a batch of these if there seems some demand. See my R129 forum post...