CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK320 rear wheel rubbing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320 Coupe
Question CLK320 rear wheel rubbing

Hi,

I have this problem, and I hope I can get some help for you all.

Just recently, all of a sudden, my LEFT rear wheel started rubbing against the fender lip when I corner hard or go over a bump or dip. This does not happen with my right rear wheel.

My setup is: Bridgestone S0-3 235/40/18 in front, and 265/35/18 in rear; H&R Sport Spring, and stock shock. According to MB services, their records show that the car has the following suspension shims: 2 dots in front and 4 dots in rear.

I've had this setup for 1 year, and I noticed that over time, the gap between the fender lip and the top of the tire has reduced to where I cannot get a finger in between. Just last week, the rubbing started.

Is it possible that as the spring, shock, and rubber shim wears out, the height drops? If so, would it help if I replaced the rear shock with Koni Sport? Revert rear spring with stock ones? Replace rear shim with new ones?

So the question is: what can I do to raised the rear by a 1 or 1.5 inch?

I've explored using a thicker shim, but MB services tells me that the 4 dots one is the thickest for the rear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Buddy
Old 06-02-2002, 11:38 AM

2001 CLK320
I believe (if you haven't already)...

you will need to roll the fenders to give extra clearance for the tires...

When you go with the wider rubber like that the inner lip has to be rolled to give clearance.

I believe this is done on the CLK55's to give more clearance as the ride height is slightly lower than the CLK430, despite having the same 17's and tire sizes...

I don't have personal experience, as I have the stock tire sizes on mine - but I do recall this being mentioned in older threads.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:53 PM

As far as I know, CLK fenders are pretty much rolled from the factory, but it's possible to do more. The main thing that I found catches the tires in back is actually the rear fiberglass bumper- right where the bumper meets the fender panel, there's usually excess fiberglass that the tire rubs against. Shave that down and it'll help. In terms of rolling the fenders, any good wheel/performance shop should be able to hook you up .
Old 06-02-2002, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
What you are experiencing is the sag from the H&R's. They are know to do that. You can go with another tire (most Bridgestones are wider than other brands), or change springs.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Actually, what you are experiencing is likely do to the first signs of shock failure. The shock is weakening, leaving more of a load on the spring then originally intended.

H&R springs do NOT sag. This machine insures that:

Also, your car's fenders can be rolled significantly with the right tool (make sure you use someone that has the right tool, not a bat!), only the 55 in the US has rolled fenders. Grinding the spot newbie talks of is also a good idea.

This is the tool we use:

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-03-2002, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar set up on my ex-CLK430. Originally I had Pirelli PZero Directionale & Assimetrico 235/40/18 and 265/35/18, Koni shocks and H&R springs and it was working fine. But when I changed to PZero Rosso with the same tire size, it started to rub. Then I changed to 255/35/18 and it was getting better, rubbed only on big speed bumps or very bumpy roads.
It has a lot to do with the design of the tires, the original PZero are rounder in the corner and the Rosso are more square. I saw a CLK430 with the exact same setup as mine, it has Toyo T1-S on and there's no rubbing at all.
Also, why the rubbing is only happening on one side....this is becuase no car is perectly balanced left & right, its just you dont notice it visually.
I would rather change the rear tires to 255/35/18 than rolling the fenders. Its not that easy to find a good quality shop that can do a nice job on fender rolling!
Old 06-03-2002, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally posted by Harris
I had a similar set up on my ex-CLK430. Originally I had Pirelli PZero Directionale & Assimetrico 235/40/18 and 265/35/18, Koni shocks and H&R springs and it was working fine. But when I changed to PZero Rosso with the same tire size, it started to rub. Then I changed to 255/35/18 and it was getting better, rubbed only on big speed bumps or very bumpy roads.
It has a lot to do with the design of the tires, the original PZero are rounder in the corner and the Rosso are more square. I saw a CLK430 with the exact same setup as mine, it has Toyo T1-S on and there's no rubbing at all.
Also, why the rubbing is only happening on one side....this is becuase no car is perectly balanced left & right, its just you dont notice it visually.
I would rather change the rear tires to 255/35/18 than rolling the fenders. Its not that easy to find a good quality shop that can do a nice job on fender rolling!
That is for sure on the rolling - it is hard to find a shop that has the right tool to do it! If you do though, you are fine!

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-03-2002, 08:34 PM

Unfortunately, while going to slimmer tires in the back might help my rubbing, I don't know what to do about my front end. The inside tops of the fender wells are worn to a nice shine because of all the rubbing my tires do. At the very top, the tire has rubbed through the rubber lining and polished the strut tower or whatever that is to a nice shine as well :o. One of my many service advisors said he refused to work on the suspension anymore because it's becoming dangerous to drive on, but even the other service advisors agree he's overreacting....

Anyway, what the hell do I do? I'm thinking of returning the whole setup to stock, but the car will look (not to mention drive) pretty goofy with the stock springs/shocks and my big Brabus rims. I hate fender gap .

BTW- otoupalik, that's the tool Globe used to roll my rear fenders .
Old 06-03-2002, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Buddy,

If it didn't rub the first time after the suspension changed and now it rubbed, only one thing, change your shock. This warrantee to fix your rubbing problem.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:47 PM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
Smile

Thanks all for all of your feedback. I think I'll start by replacing my stock shocks, and see how that works. The fender rolling thing is a bit on the exreme side for me.

This is a wonderful and very supportive forum. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
well, there are two reasonable solutions to this, i have identical setup as you and yes.. my rear right is rubbing more often than before.

i think I need to do the following:

1. change my shocks to suit the ride height.

2. install sway bars to reduce roll when turning tight.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally posted by Harris
The stock shocks are supposed to be higher than the aftermarket ones. If you change to the aftermarket shocks (which will make the car sits even lower), and if the aftermarket shocks are not stiff enough, your rubbing problem will only get worse. I think the reason why members here are suggesting to change the shocks is because they think the stock shocks are too soft and they cannot hold up the car now being lowered. Changing the shocks will definitely help but will it completely solve the rubbing problem, I've some doubt.
Actually, the opposite is true. Nearly all aftermarket shocks will raise the car compared to the stock shock. This is due to the internal stiffness of the koni or bilstein being stiffer at rest then the stock dampner.

The car will raise approx 1/4" when you go from stock shocks/H&R's to Bilsteins or Koni's/H&R's.

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-05-2002, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
why wont eibach make shock absorbers?

what are the best and reasonable shocks i can install alongside my eibach springs?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:40 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the rear tire might be too wide. if rubbing still happens after reduce tire size you might want to check your shock like other have said.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM

Well I have rubbing in the front with 18x8.5 and 235/40/18 tires. What should I do? I have a 98 CLK320, has the lorinser shocks, exhaust, not sure what else. What should I do? I couldnt tell what they were rubbing but it didnt look like the wheel well.