CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005 | 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Well...

I just changed my steering damper. It was a 10 minute job using a 5/8th bit on my socket wrench and some ramps to get the car up. It did reduce the "trammeling" and wandering a little bit, but not entirely. It's still there.

Here is what I am suspecting and have witnessed.

The steering damper will help your car if it is not lowered and is at factory alignment specs with factory wheels.

Other causes for the nervous steering problem that we are experiencing is when your car is lowered and the camber is off. I experienced this when my car’s front camber was off, however the problem was fixed when the camber was straightened properly. However, sometimes negative camber cannot be completely fixed if your car is too low, so eventually the inner side of your tires will wear, causing the steering problem once again. This time more noticeable. Wider tires just exacerbates the problem.

It seems as though perhaps softer tires that wear faster and more unevenly will just make the problem even worse, faster.

Last edited by str8ridin; 02-01-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2005 | 02:00 PM

the camber on the w208 is not adjustable is it?
Old 02-01-2005 | 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by mrbon
the camber on the w208 is not adjustable is it?
Rear, depending on how much you ower it, is, but you need a camber kit.

Front, to my knowlege, is. Camber bolts will be needed and the dealer should have them. Depending on how low you go, you might have to take off your front bumper to have them align it properly.
Old 02-02-2005 | 04:12 AM

ok i just went and had the alignment checked and everything if fine except the cambers, which are out on all wheels, but the guy said theyre better like this as the grip and handling will be improved.

if i get the camber bolts and get the camber re-set to the factory values, will the wandering problem i am experiencing go away?
Old 02-02-2005 | 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Once more...

if you want to run wider wheels/tires and lower than stock, it's not going to go away. It will improve with the front camber kit, but will NOT go away. Just part of the cost of the looks and improved handling at the limit (this is what your shop means by "better handling"). But not as easy to live with everyday...
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:18 AM

i see what you mean, i may just get the camber adjusted anyway because any improvement will help, its not terrible as it is, so maybe the correct camber settings will make things a little less obvious.

should i bother doing the steering damper whilst im at it?
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by mrbon
i see what you mean, i may just get the camber adjusted anyway because any improvement will help, its not terrible as it is, so maybe the correct camber settings will make things a little less obvious.

should i bother doing the steering damper whilst im at it?
How many miles are on your car? What suspension/wheel modifications have you done to it so far? Do you have uneven wear on the inside of your tires?
Old 02-02-2005 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by str8ridin
How many miles are on your car? What suspension/wheel modifications have you done to it so far? Do you have uneven wear on the inside of your tires?
its got 55,000 miles on it, and has 18" AMG replica wheels, with 225/40/18 pirelli p-zero neros all round.

the car is lowered 30mm on eibach springs, with standard shocks.

there is even tyre wear across the tyre, on all the tyres.

here is the geometry printout if it helps: