CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just saw CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 12:03 PM
sat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw CLK500

I just saw the car in person in one of the South Florida dealerships (the car was there for personnel training). Black/black, looks absolutely fantastic! I'm still deciding between CLK500 and M3, this definitely moves the scales towards CLK. Dealer confirmed that sport package is standard, COMAND is option.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did he happen to give you any more info.? like what other packages it had? i'm dying to know the option list. :P
Old 06-14-2002, 12:39 PM
sat

Every MB dealer now has an ordering giude that outlines all the options, they just don't know the price on them. What particular options are you looking for?
Old 06-14-2002, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm looking for the K3 and K4 packages (I think that is right...xenon lights & sunroof) and probably the nav. system. I noticed on the option list for the E-class on MBUSA.com that ventilated seats will be offered as well as a wood and leather steering wheel, both of which i would gladly order on the CLK but they don't seem to be listed. I think the steering wheel is available as an accessory for all MB models? I called my local MB dealer and I am the 1st to inquire there so they are trying to get info. Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 03:31 PM
sat

Both K3 and K4 are still there, although they had finally moved heated seats out of K4, it is just Xenon HL and HL washer. Heated seats are a separate option.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

At which dealership did you see the car? I'd like to go by and take a look at it myself.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:03 PM
sat

the one of Federal hwy, downtown Ft. Lauderdale. My understanding is though that the car was there just for training of the sales force and will be leaving today (it could be incorrect). If the car is not there, check the dealership on Copans Rd.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
sorry to say this, but if performance is what your looking for.. then M3 is the bargain of the 2.

But hey, a benz is a benz.. NO ARGUEMENTS!!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 01:10 PM
sat

I'd like to emphasize that this is just my opinion/situation, by no means it is applicable to everybody who is on the same boat. I'm looking for a daily driver, highway/city driving time will be split at about 30/70. To me the car's overall markings consist of performance, design/looks, build quality and service quality.

Performance. Weight to power ration of M3 is 10.25. Taking the weight figure from w208 CLK55 (and CLK500 hopefully will be lighter), CLK500's w/p is 11.53, which is quite comparable. 0-60 times are sub 5 second for M3 and sub 6 second for CLK. However, 30-100 times will be practically identical due to I6 vs. V8 deal (more torque). M3 will definitely corner better, but it will corner better when driven hard, in a city driving cornering will be similar with CLK achieving its level with less abuse on the engine/drivetrain. Steering/gearing on the M3 are set intentionally for more feedback, so on CLK it is just a matter of getting used to the amount of feedback the car gives you. Overall conclusion (my opinion): M3 will leave CLK way behind on the track; both cars are very similar from the performance's point of view in a city driving.

Design/looks. Extremely subjective issue. M3's design (E46 design) is essentially 5 years old, first E46 cars were sold in 1998 as 1999 models. This design is probably last good design coming from BMW for a while, look at the new 7, new Z4 (plus this whole nonsense of splitting 3 series into 3 and 4), whatever little info that is available on a new 5 also does not look very attractive. All this is good news, because E46 design and M3 in particular will probably become a classic, just like 993 vs. 996/7. However, E46 design was an evolution of E36, continuing on the same high-tech look and feel. W209 design offers some retro trends from the past and these trends are very well mixed with modern features. My conclusion on this topic: M3 is the last great performance BMW; CLK is just a continuation of MB's overall improvement of the model line up. Buying M3 will mean buying a classic, that means that you have to keep it for a while (5-7 years) before its "classic" value will kick in. Unfortunately I tend to rotate my cars before they run out of warranty.

Build quality. I currently own E46 BMW and the overall quality is very good, after 3 years the car feels as tight and together as it felt on the first day. Apparently though there are numerous build issues with M3, hopefully all of them will be corrected in 2003 MY. Of course, W209 CLK is just entering its first production year, so build issues are expected. However, look at the new S, C and CL classes, no major build issues were associated with them.

Service. MB is light years ahead of BMW as far as the service is concerned in general (different company policies). The main problem with M3 service is that M3 is the car built for both street and track and regular BMW service is not supposed to handle track related issues. That gives "a not very good one to begin with" service department an enormous excuse not to honor or honor with resistance warranty related calls. Personally, I would like to drop the car off, get a similar loaner for the duration of the service, come back and pick up a fixed car without the need to convince the service guy that he actually has to do something there.

So, overall, value wise, I am leaning towards CLK (I have one on order). I will, however, take a very close look at the 2003 M3 when it will come out in September. So far, CLK is ahead in my comparison even though I have not driven one yet. I drove both 6sp and SMG M3, I also drove W208 430. 6sp is out for me (wife factor, also try to put a little kid on the rear seat, drive a stick in the morning traffic and try to handle whatever morning kid issues are, see if you like it), so it's between SMG and auto. SMG is absolutely superior in high performance driving (track) and totally sucks in auto mode (in auto mode it is like you are driving a stick with somebody else shifting gears for you in the times when you are least expecting/needing it). I live in South Florida, there are no roads for high performance driving here, everything is flat and straight, not like say in California. Also, the cure for high performance driving that I have found is 125cc 6sp go kart, it goes from 0-60 in sub 4 seconds and saw people breaking their ribs in the corners.

Man, that was a long one... Again, all of the above is just my opinion. I wonder what others thing along the lines of the same comparison categories (performance/design/build/service) about E46 M3 and W209 CLK 500?
Old 06-16-2002, 12:32 PM

Short response to Sat's novel !!!

Sorry Sat, I didn't have the patience to read your entire epilogue, however, I trust it was worth reading.

I just turned in my '99 BMW 528 and got an '02 430. The day before I got it, I ran into a guy that owned a 430 and a M5. He told me that the 430's performance cant be compared to a 528 or 540. I did not believe him. Unfortunatley, I'm starting to.

I am a bit disappointed in my 430's performance. I can't hug "clover leaf's" comming off the highway, I hesistate a bit before I weave thru traffic, the steering weel is too big, and I think the car rides too high. I just can't feel the road!!!

My buddies asked me if I test drove it before I bought it. I did, but I was blinded with the "Badge" on the car. However, I do love the 4.3 litre, V8 engine. The car does have power and looks !!!!! Anyway, the way to remedy my concerns obviously is to make performance modifications which I intend to start soon.

So, in conclusion, and in my opinion, if you want a performance car, get the Bimmer, if you want heads turning and presitge, and luxury, of course the 3 point star says it all. Dont get me wrong, I do like my car!!! As Ahmed said, "A Benz is a Benz"!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2002, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good analysis sat

Here's my analysis, only 1 question:
1) Do you want to race or to chill? If race, buy the M3, if chill, get the CLK.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:48 PM
sat

I agree, M3 is better for racing, CLK is better for chilling. I also think, however, that it is easier to race in CLK than to chill in M3.