CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sell my CLK500 for this???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:47 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In the zero to sixty sprints the CLK takes 5.4 seconds, versus the G35 at 5.9
Actually Road and Track has the CLK500's 0-60 @ 5.2
Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No
Old 06-21-2005, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by RJC
Actually Road and Track has the CLK500's 0-60 @ 5.2
I stand corrected. The G35? He's flat on his back in dreamland.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Here's one of the biggest truths in life: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Stay with the CLK.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
not only no.. but heck no! what are you crazy? swap a Benz for a Nissan???
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
to me it just feels like nissan just put this car together to make ppl happy and for them to have a cheap 2dr unlike anyone else, ive driven it and many other cars but a benz you can just feel the quality and the time put into it, its a much different experience you cant explain.. dont get me wrong it is a great car (g35) but i just wouldnt give up a clk for it... if i had a certain budget on mods and whatnot i would go with the cheaper car from the begining...luckily i dont mod heavily lol
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
A link to the an article regarding the turbo for the g35.
http://www.turbo-kits.com/g35_turbo_kits.html
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The turbo kit they had on there goes for $6000 with 100HP gain and the supercharger for $5500. HPS makes a supercharger for the CLK for $7000 which produces at least an additonal 135 HP with torque gains to match on pump gas. The G35 supercharger doesn't put out nearly as much torque, there's no replacement for displacement.

Last edited by Chi500; 06-22-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Guys, heres why I would consider this G35 Coupe...

First of all it's a gorgeous car that has EVERYTHING in it, this is why I am considering, I know buying a car fully loaded takes all the fun away from modding a car, but my wallet doesn't like my hobby too much, and I want too much in such a short period of time, why not buy a car reasonably priced with all the mods that I would do to the same car. The CLK without a doubt is faster, more luxurious, and a lot more rare.

School is 45 minutes away so I will be commuting back and forth, so having a V8 doesn't seem logical, gas prices are soaring.

Also, I plan on adding some more mods that make my wallet happy to the G if I get it (Blitz Nur Exhaust and GReddy Turbo Kit) something that would cost me $1,000 for an exhaust and $14000 to supercharge for the CLK when I can mod the car a heck of a lot more for the money.

Can someone back me up here, I'm not 100% sure on this yet, the CLK has been too good for me, but for my needs right now, the G35 is winning me over.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
When I was looking for a car six months ago, I happened to test drive G35 as well. I finally settled on CLK500, a decision that I am very happy about.

CLK is more elegant, with just the right amount of sportiness. I did find G35 Coupe quite attractive in the beginning, however now that this car is on the road for more than 2yrs, the design just does not have the lasting quality to it. There are way too many G35s on the road too.

If money is the big concern, then you may want to switch away from CLK. But the white G35 that you are looking at is way over the top in my opinion. Well, beauty is in the eye . Good luck with your decision, but I'd still say, don't give away your CLK.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
I'm getting rid of my clk 320 99, the car was great and gave me no problems. However since then I have had another clk 500 which was bought back because the car was in the shop 8 times in less than a year, for various problems electrical. My weekend toy my dream car 04 cl 500 just got out of the shop with major electrical problems, i.e. abs and esp malfunction and the car ended up dying on me while I was out. I drive this car maybe once or twice a week I've had since Oct. with 5500 miles i'm experiencing these problems. That said the reason im so high on infiniti is because they make nice cars that perform well are comfortable and more affordable. Right now I haven't heard of anyone having problems with infiniti, there is 3 of them on my driveway my moms and 2 of my brothers. Also Mercedes aren't as fun, rather not as easy to tune as Audi or Bmw, so in that category they are also lacking. The mercedes is a great car to look at and gets you lots of recognition when you go out that is way you pay for these days not quality.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I guess I've been pretty lucky with my CLK, only real problem I had was when I took delivery of the car and the steering wheel wasn't on center so that the car felt like it was always pulling to the right. I wouldn't blame you for giving up on MB with all the stuff that's happened to you.

As for viktorious' issue, you can't worry about gas mileage and then want to put install turbos. But if that's the car you want to go with, don't let anyone stop you. Nobody should tell you how to spend your money. We all have our reasons about why we bought the car that we did. My biggest thing was safety, Mercedes has always made safe cars. I remeber my parents' 1973 450 SEL which was built like a tank. My mom drove it and put a huge dent in this other car, but the Mercedes didn't have a scratch on it. German cars made so that the occupants will survive a crash at 100+ MPH due to their autobahn. The German car bodies are stronger than Japanese ones, that's why the Japanese cars are lighter. From the cars I've owned, I noticed that the Japanese sheet metal is thinner and more rust a lot quicker than the MB's I've owned due to the winters we have in Chicago. When buying a car I chose the CLK over the G35 because it's hands down a better car, it's faster, the style, safety, durability (I have a 1983 380SEL w/ 180,00 and runs great). But it's MY car.
If you want that car modded the way it is and it fits your budget by all means get it. It's your money, your car, your style. But just a note, HPS offers a supercharger for the CLK500 that gives out more HP and a lot more torque than the one leggs put up, for $1000 more. Their kit goes for $7000.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Guest0001

I say go for the M35/45. I think its one of the nicest looking cars right now. That car modded would look HOT! But if you dont want to do that then go for the G. Modding a MB to the fullest is just too costly.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
dude ill back you up, to be honest the car has everything you would have done and plus some.... if you are into the car i say try it out..... it never hurts to try it

trust me this g35 is gonna give you a hell of alot more looks (ppl will be like wtf is that!!) the g35 is a great car but so is the clk-class

most importantly that money is the biggest factor... no ifs ands or buts about it
Old 07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Vik, so you decided to stay with the CLK?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Yeah, Im following your advice and looking into an HPS Generation 2 supercharger, hoping to push 500hp. We'll see what I can get for it and install blah blah blah
Old 07-31-2005, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
House of Power has a new supercharger kit coming out. hopracing.com I talked to them and he says some guy came in with problems with the HPS supercharger and had him fix it. Sounds like he was telling the truth, but he is biased. He uses a vortec supercharger, a centrifugal one, and says its better in the top end.
Now I don't know which route to go, HPS, HOP, or Kleeman. I know its been discusssed a million times, but which one is better? Money, downtime, and reliability is a concern.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Chi500
House of Power has a new supercharger kit coming out. hopracing.com I talked to them and he says some guy came in with problems with the HPS supercharger and had him fix it. Sounds like he was telling the truth, but he is biased. He uses a vortec supercharger, a centrifugal one, and says its better in the top end.
Now I don't know which route to go, HPS, HOP, or Kleeman. I know its been discusssed a million times, but which one is better? Money, downtime, and reliability is a concern.
Clearly HPS....It's got instant power right off idle (HPS makes massive power at very low RPM's and continues evenly throughout the RPM band) and it's offered at the RIGHT PRICE $....The (HOP) being centrifugal side mounted, and NOT a roots intake manifold replacement blower, their system doesn't make good power right off idle, it is slow to build up HP and TO, It peaks in the top of the RPM band (Useless unless your driving on a runway strip) (Also has significantly more SC whine) not intercooled and runs less boost and makes far less HP & TO than both HPS, and Kleemanns blowers.... Yet HOP cost $ more than HPS.... Kleemann's a good system but heavily exaggerates their HP, TO, claims and there over priced...So the winner is pretty apparent..... I heavily reserched and test drove 2 cars w/ HPS gen II systems, as well as a few centrifugal SC sysytems (Admittedly not a HOP model, but there all pretty much the same)and I will be getting my HPS gen II installed tomorrow.....

Last edited by Thericker; 07-31-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I talked to them and he says some guy came in with problems with the HPS supercharger and had him fix it. Sounds like he was telling the truth, but he is biased. He uses a vortec supercharger, a centrifugal one, and says its better in the top end.
Side note: That's all I ever hear or read about HOP, their allways giving negative comments on any competitor, When I spoke to HPS they said "Hey do your research and buy whichever system you want, competition makes us all better Co." and didn't give any disparaging comments about anybody
As far as I could find out HOP has been in business for far less time than HPS, & Kleemann, and it seems very evident there trying desperately to lead customers their way....
Old 07-31-2005, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
HPS claims the least power gain at 135HP, kleeman claims 200HP, and HOP claims 150HP. I still can't decide between Kleeman and HPS. Kleeman says they can have it done with install at their facility for $11000.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
HPS claims the least power gain at 135HP, kleeman claims 200HP, and HOP claims 150HP. I still can't decide between Kleeman and HPS. Kleeman says they can have it done with install at their facility for $11000.
At best w/out intercooler and only running 5 psi of boost HOP is only going to fetch 100hp.....And there's a few threads on here confirming Kleemanns stretching the truth, as well as guys like Ted Baldwin (He has a few fully modded Kleeman systems on his mercedes) And he will attest to Kleemanns systems making no more HP & TO than HPS does check out this SC calculator link....And follow the steps try HOP 5 psi of boost w/no intercooler you get a 34% gain on a 300hp motor = 102 hp gain @ the crank
http://www.superchargersonline.com/h...r.asp?submit=1
Do the same w/HPS 7psi boost 2 core intercooler on a 300 hp motor you get 155 hp @ the crank it's basic stuff these other guys are obviously BS!!!!!

Last edited by Thericker; 07-31-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by thericker55
I heavily reserched and test drove 2 cars w/ HPS gen II systems, as well as a few centrifugal SC sysytems (Admittedly not a HOP model, but there all pretty much the same)
They're not all the same bro - ask Steve Millen why he gave up trying to make his Vortech kit for the Mercedes work. If you're going to talk about a roots Mercedes and a centrifugal Mercedes then drive one of each model. Incidentally - which centrifugal mercedes did you drive? LOL

At best w/out intercooler and only running 5 psi of boost HOP is only going to fetch 100hp

And follow the steps try HOP 5 psi of boost w/no intercooler you get a 34% gain on a 300hp motor = 102 hp gain @ the crank
http://www.superchargersonline.com/...or.asp?submit=1
Do the same w/HPS 7psi boost 2 core intercooler on a 300 hp motor you get 155 hp @ the crank it's basic stuff these other guys are obviously BS!!!!!
Uh, the kit makes 8 psi of peak boost, and if you knew anything about the difference between centrifugal and roots blowers, you would know that centrifugal blowers do not need an intercooler on low boost applications because they don't heat up nearly as much as a roots blower due to much better adiabatic efficiency and lower discharge temps. An intercooler on a low boost centrifugal would do little more than cause a pressure drop. On higher boost applications, an aftercooler is used.

And come on bro, you have decent insight on the board - don't tell me you're ignorant enough to believe an online HP calculator. You're telling me that an infinite number of variables can be accounted for in some random guy's javascript? HoP has posted rear wheel dyno's showing exactly what their system makes.

And to be quite honest, Josh R never said anything negative about a competitor. I felt like checking this accusation out so I looked back thru BenzWorld and looked through all of his posts on there. Not once did he start a problem. He never badmouthed Kleemann and the only time he said anything regarding HPS, it was to question the use of an arbitrary driveline loss number they were using to inflate their crank HP claims, or to challenge them to a dyno shootout (which they haven't and probably won't ever attend) when people that don't know much about anything on that other board questioned the power of his (HoP's) system. Go ahead - read all of his posts. If you want to know who started the whole issue it's right here when Adam throws a hissy fit because Josh responded to private messages regarding his system. And just about every other thing was a result of VDOC who came to HoP looking for a handout two years ago and now just tries to instigate things on the board; From his posts, it's pretty obvious that he's ignorant (blindly believes Adam's driveline HP estimate and tries to kill the messenger who questions it, makes comments about slapping Josh around - which I would LOVE to see by the way LOL).

If anyone's remarks could be construed as "negative" on that board, they would be mine (even though for the most part I am responding to and calling people out on obvious bull****)- for a few reasons: 1) I'm opinionated; 2) I'm an a$$hole; 3) From what I've read about Adam on the archive of this board and on BenzWorld, I really don't like how he treats customers who don't have a good experience with his kit or his company. In short, he attempts to destroy their credibility so that his business isn't affected. You say you've had a good experience with him, and you might never have a problem with his kit - GOOD. That's how it should be, but if you read through histories, you'll see that people that have a problem will get fu˘ked if they dare post a negative experience. Read through the history on BenzWorld and you'll see who really badmouths other companies (there's many anti-Ben/EvoSport posts on Adam's behalf amongst others).

I'm not going to bother posting on your s/c thread as I know how it is to get a new toy and I'm not going to steal your thunder on your own thread, but just remember, while Adam gives you one face (which you paid for), if you had a bad experience and posted it, I'm sure you'd be dealing with a very different person.

I hope you have a great experience with your charger, and since you seem like an enthusiast, I hope that you will attend some friendly dyno shootouts and/or trips to the drag strip (since you're in SoCal).

Last edited by Josh K; 08-07-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Vik that G35 is sick. For the reasons you have stated I would definitely make the move for the G35. Modding MB is neither cheap nor easy nor as fun as doing a BMW, G35, Porsche.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Josh K
They're not all the same bro - ask Steve Millen why he gave up trying to make his Vortech kit for the Mercedes work. If you're going to talk about a roots Mercedes and a centrifugal Mercedes then drive one of each model. Incidentally - which centrifugal mercedes did you drive? LOL

Uh, the kit makes 8 psi of peak boost, and if you knew anything about the difference between centrifugal and roots blowers, you would know that centrifugal blowers do not need an intercooler on low boost applications because they don't heat up nearly as much as a roots blower due to much better adiabatic efficiency and lower discharge temps. An intercooler on a low boost centrifugal would do little more than cause a pressure drop. On higher boost applications, an aftercooler is used.

And come on bro, you have decent insight on the board - don't tell me you're ignorant enough to believe an online HP calculator. You're telling me that an infinite number of variables can be accounted for in some random guy's javascript? HoP has posted rear wheel dyno's showing exactly what their system makes.

And to be quite honest, Josh R never said anything negative about a competitor. I felt like checking this accusation out so I looked back thru BenzWorld and looked through all of his posts on there. Not once did he start a problem. He never badmouthed Kleemann and the only time he said anything regarding HPS, it was to question the use of an arbitrary driveline loss number they were using to inflate their crank HP claims, or to challenge them to a dyno shootout (which they haven't and probably won't ever attend) when people that don't know much about anything on that other board questioned the power of his (HoP's) system. Go ahead - read all of his posts. If you want to know who started the whole issue it's right here when Adam throws a hissy fit because Josh responded to private messages regarding his system. And just about every other thing was a result of VDOC who came to HoP looking for a handout two years ago and now just tries to instigate things on the board; From his posts, it's pretty obvious that he's ignorant (blindly believes Adam's driveline HP estimate and tries to kill the messenger who questions it, makes comments about slapping Josh around - which I would LOVE to see by the way LOL).

If anyone's remarks could be construed as "negative" on that board, it was me (even though for the most part I am responding to and calling people out on obvious bull****)- for a few reasons: 1) I'm opinionated; 2) I'm an a$$hole; 3) From what I've read about Adam on the archive of this board and on BenzWorld, I really don't like how he treats customers who don't have a good experience with his kit or his company. In short, he attempts to destroy their credibility so that his business isn't affected. You say you've had a good experience with him, and you might never have a problem with his kit - GOOD. That's how it should be, but if you read through histories, you'll see that people that have a problem will get fu˘ked if they dare post a negative experience. Read through the history on BenzWorld and you'll see who really badmouths other companies (there's many anti-Ben/EvoSport posts on Adam's behalf amongst others).

I'm not going to bother posting on your s/c thread as I know how it is to get a new toy and I'm not going to steal your thunder on your own thread, but just remember, while Adam gives you one face (which you paid for), if you had a bad experience and posted it, I'm sure you'd be dealing with a very different person.

I hope you have a great experience with your charger, and since you seem like an enthusiast, I hope that you will attend some friendly dyno shootouts and/or trips to the drag strip (since you're in SoCal).
I can appreciate your defending HOP, and I don't take any offense to your criticism to my posts...I'm to tired to argue right now about he said,no he said blahblah...Actually as far as I'm concerned you said what you had to and kept it civil w/me. I don't know vdoc, but I will back Adam, he has been a more than decent business man, and I have no doubts he will be there if ever problems arise....So in summation I would love to attend some meets.....And maybe do a little friendly racing

Last edited by Thericker; 08-07-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
So in summation I would love to attend some meets.....And maybe do a little friendly racing
I'll drink to that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sell my CLK500 for this???