CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is there anything to change??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 Convertible
Is there anything to change??

Maybe one of you can help me with this. In about 6th month i might move to the US. Does anybody know what i ll have to change on my german spec clk so i can register it in the states. Do i have to change the lights and put orange parking lights on my car? Speedometer should be no problem i saw that i can switch that one over in milage. What are the things that i ll have to do?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
When you say change the parking lights do you mean the clear corners? Those are illegal pretty much everywhere but people still have it anyway.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 AM

CLK 500 Convertible
i don't have parking lights at all. Are they a must be. Maybe one of you can tell me a site with the american regulations. Is there some kind of inspection!? Or can you just register it? What is there to do?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Almost a Member!

03' CLK 55 AMG
Don't you have to change everything from the rightside driver seat to the leftside driver seat?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
If your car is a right hand drive, you'll need to convert, the sidemarkers don't really matter, people here do the euro conversion to eliminate the amber sidemarker lens.

The speedometer will need to be converted, other than that, you're good to go, oh... you may need a US Spec trunklid and front bumper for your US license plates.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:28 AM

CLK 500 Convertible
i have just look at some of pictures of the guys in this forum with a clk 500 and they don't even have them sidemarkers. so i guess they are not really law... hmmmh?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The laws vary from state to state, so you're going to have to look up the traffic laws for the one you are going to.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by onkelmarknr1
Maybe one of you can help me with this. In about 6th month i might move to the US. Does anybody know what i ll have to change on my german spec clk so i can register it in the states. Do i have to change the lights and put orange parking lights on my car? Speedometer should be no problem i saw that i can switch that one over in milage. What are the things that i ll have to do?
I am moving my 2004 CLK to the opposite direction from Califronia to Europe. What country are you coming from? Maybe we can swap headlights, the EU specs are assymetrical the US is symmetrical. I have have the Xenon package.
The spedometer scale is different as well, KM/h vs. MILES/h.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 AM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
Originally Posted by MR CLK 55 AMG
Don't you have to change everything from the rightside driver seat to the leftside driver seat?
Only British cars in Europe are made with everything on the right as opposed to the left.

Anything else in Europe is left hand drive. I'm British, living in Germany/Holland and my car is brand new and amazingly, left hand drive
Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 AM

CLK 500 Convertible
do you think we'll have to change the speedometer scale. in the digital mode you can switch it to miles i saw. so maybe we don't even have to change that. i ll check for you overhere. i don't have the xeon package. are you going to work for the american goverment or military overhere. if so, you don't have to change anything just to let you know.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by onkelmarknr1
do you think we'll have to change the speedometer scale. in the digital mode you can switch it to miles i saw. so maybe we don't even have to change that. i ll check for you overhere. i don't have the xeon package. are you going to work for the american goverment or military overhere. if so, you don't have to change anything just to let you know.
The scale is a convenience/cosmetic issue because there is already a digital readout. I actually started a private business in EU, I was born the there anyways and moving back after 20 years so in order to register the car I will need the headlight conversion.