CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

C classes with CLK grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
my c-class came with a clk type grill, 2 doors, flat hood badge, CLK switch row, etc...
and it has CLK W209 AMG wheels (fitted straight on without any fitment issues).
But then again, my W203 is a C-Class Sport Coupé.

W209 and W203 share more than the ordinary person on the street could notice.

non-C55 W203 Sedan owners place the "CLK-style" grill on their cars because when you remove the hood star and replace with a hood badge, the car screams for a star somewhere. So various aftermarket manufacturers replied by making the CLK-style grill. Why it's called the CLK style grill, in itself is a mis-nomer, because other than the star in the middle, just like an ML or a C-Class Coupe, it all looks the same. So why not call it the ML-type grill or the C-Coupe type grill ??? Now, regular W203 Sedan can have something added to their car that keeps the Mercedes-Benz star appearance alive when they remove the hood star.

It's funny how many parts numbers on my W203 begin with: A 209 xxx xx xx !!
Wouldn't be surprised if you found some A 203 xxx xx xx part numbers in your W209 !!
So who is copying who ??? (rhetorical question)

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-18-2005, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Keep it down, you screwing with my nap!!!

This thread is dead>>>>>>>Too many sensitive people withway too much time on their hands.

(your welcome for the sample photos)
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 AM

E500 , G55 , GS300
just my opinion

C-class < CLK
but still is still a mercedes
even if C-class is kinda cheap
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
I thought, this is an interesting threadl at least Predator met his objective i.e. drawn reponses and attentions. It could even be 'better' if he posted his comment to the W203 threads ( or at least proven that so many W203's were reading the W209 thread ). There are still plenty of mixed situations that W203 to have a star grill. Obviously, C55 has a whole of CLK front end, and it is the only W203 can fit an 'original CLK star grill'. I would say, it was MB's intention to give the C55 a non-AMG W203 look through giving it a very unique so called 'normal 2004 W203 look CLK-grill'. What it means, the C55 actually already comes with a CLK-grill without a star ! i.e. the C55 original grill is so unique that no W203s have the same grill as the C55. As said, it is an interesting topic being discussed and at least a conclusion is drawn that a 'star grill' is not just CLK can own. Predator did not go and tell the A, CLS , CL and SL owners that they are using his CLK grill because he thought A, CLS , CL and SL come with a star grill of their own and and W203 doesn't. And even more interesting point is, why CLS, CL and SL owners do not complain W203 using 'their grills' but only CLK W209 owners think W203 is copying theirs!? (By all means, only C55 can close to perfectly imitate a CLK front-end by using a CLK grill.) The final conclusion is C and CLK are brothers and same for human, some brothers can share clothes; and some brothers don't want to wear what the other wear. :p
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cntlaw
I thought, this is an interesting threadl at least Predator met his objective i.e. drawn reponses and attentions. It could even be 'better' if he posted his comment to the W203 threads ( or at least proven that so many W203's were reading the W209 thread ). There are still plenty of mixed situations that W203 to have a star grill. Obviously, C55 has a whole of CLK front end, and it is the only W203 can fit an 'original CLK star grill'. I would say, it was MB's intention to give the C55 a non-AMG W203 look through giving it a very unique so called 'normal 2004 W203 look CLK-grill'. What it means, the C55 actually already comes with a CLK-grill without a star ! i.e. the C55 original grill is so unique that no W203s have the same grill as the C55. As said, it is an interesting topic being discussed and at least a conclusion is drawn that a 'star grill' is not just CLK can own. Predator did not go and tell the A, CLS , CL and SL owners that they are using his CLK grill because he thought A, CLS , CL and SL come with a star grill of their own and and W203 doesn't. And even more interesting point is, why CLS, CL and SL owners do not complain W203 using 'their grills' but only CLK W209 owners think W203 is copying theirs!? (By all means, only C55 can close to perfectly imitate a CLK front-end by using a CLK grill.) The final conclusion is C and CLK are brothers and same for human, some brothers can share clothes; and some brothers don't want to wear what the other wear. :p
hey lets not make this how all clk owners feel. its just me. this is my opinion. i am not speaking on behalf of all clkers.
I am not gonna tell other cars that already come with the star grill from factory that they are copying clk cuz thats rediculous.
any case its weird how so many c class owners are replying here since i posted on clk room. i am glad i didnt post on C class room cuz there would be hell haha. any ways hey im not saying dont put a grill, its ur car do what u want. I like the idea of personalizing a car but i just dont want to personalize my car by trying to make it what its not thats all.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I also think the CLK grill just doesn't look right on a c class. It just doesn't flow with the lines of the car and actually makes it uglier. But thats just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
so if i wanted the rims off of a c55 am i a wanna be?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by clkcadet
so if i wanted the rims off of a c55 am i a wanna be?
i think the c55 amg wheels are the same as clk55amg.
i dont think u are a wannabe c55amg. just dont put clk320amg on the back of ur car.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Predator
just dont put clk320amg on the back of ur car.
or a model that doesn't even exist like "M 420" on an old c class.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:20 AM
taylor192

I'm happy the W209 and CL203 share so much in common. I am looking at a VDC kit for my car and thankfully the W209 will bolt right on.

Back on this topic, I think Predator belongs to the 'snob' MB group that believes in only OEM modifications, thus his arguement the entire time 'my car came with it, you added it'.

The CLK grill update for the R170 SLK is one of the most popular mods. A lot of C-class owners are responding here cause we read this forum, there's so much in common between the W209 and W203/CL203 that we're interested too. Post this same thread on the R170 forum and see the reactions - especially considering the price of the cars is about the same and Predator cannot hold his snobby nose higher than a SLK owner based solely on price.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by taylor192
I'm happy the W209 and CL203 share so much in common. I am looking at a VDC kit for my car and thankfully the W209 will bolt right on.

Back on this topic, I think Predator belongs to the 'snob' MB group that believes in only OEM modifications, thus his arguement the entire time 'my car came with it, you added it'.

The CLK grill update for the R170 SLK is one of the most popular mods. A lot of C-class owners are responding here cause we read this forum, there's so much in common between the W209 and W203/CL203 that we're interested too. Post this same thread on the R170 forum and see the reactions - especially considering the price of the cars is about the same and Predator cannot hold his snobby nose higher than a SLK owner based solely on price.
snobby?? how come im snobby? just because i dont like the star grill on the c class sedan? I never said clk was better than C-class. I am anything but snobby. I don't even think my clk is all that. Dont get me wrong i like my car but i am never the type to look down on anybody's car especially another MB.
I realize on this forum if i post my opinion about other people's cars, its going to offend people. i really think people need to lighten up and not be so sensitive.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:03 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Predator
snobby?? how come im snobby? just because i dont like the star grill on the c class sedan? I never said clk was better than C-class. I am anything but snobby. I don't even think my clk is all that. Dont get me wrong i like my car but i am never the type to look down on anybody's car especially another MB.
I realize on this forum if i post my opinion about other people's cars, its going to offend people. i really think people need to lighten up and not be so sensitive.
Do I really have to quote all the times in this thread alone you've put down anything lower than a CLK?

Opinions are like @$$holes...
Old 08-20-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by taylor192
Do I really have to quote all the times in this thread alone you've put down anything lower than a CLK?

Opinions are like @$$holes...

Yes. He did !!!

well sorry you had problems with ur CLK, luckily for me(knock on wood) i havent had ur problems or any others.
hey c55 is a good car but i wouldnt say c55 is a superior to clk, yea performance-wise but other than that clk is a notch higher since it is a higher class than the C classes. Clk has better interior, its a coupe, pillarless, bigger, wider. its like saying c55 is superior to s500 because its faster? come now.
if c55 was so much better it wouldnt be priced the same as clk500 which is slower.as far as ur comment on distinction, yea i guess it makes it look more like a clk, guess that is distinction.

funny u say we are wll Merc bros and than afterwards u are saying a c55 is better than clk500.
btw clk500 with options comes out to over 60K.so because your car is a amg its better than E500? S500? you have nappa leather but we dont so your car is better?my original post was that C class cars are copying the CLK grill. Do you see CLK cars copy anything from C class cars? hey im not looking down on C class. they are good cars, as is of course the c55 but my point is that C class cars copy the CLK grill to look like a clk from the front. And while clk is not the only car with a star grill, our cars comes from the factory like that.
i have nothing against moding. i love moding. i just am not crazy about copying.like i.e a accord with bimmer front conversion.

lol. so sensitive are we? well my car came like that from the factory that way. Besides all modern 2 door MBs has the star grill. not saying some 4 door doesnt have the star grill.
lowly clk? hehe see i like the c class so im not going to say c class is lowly.
think someone needs some class & style.

think the c55 amg wheels are the same as clk55amg.
i dont think u are a wannabe c55amg. just dont put clk320amg on the back of ur car.

And, I guess he was just another guy saying the right thing in the wrong world! As 50% of MB cars have a AMG logo , and so as the BMW 3 series have a M3 logo. At least the cars themselves are real and not fake LV , Gucchi bags, $30 dollars Rolexes.
Attached Thumbnails C classes with CLK grill-sl600amg.jpg  

Last edited by cntlaw; 08-20-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 PM

CLK320
lol
nice
Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 AM

05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
Fact...... Fiction......and Taste.

From the Postman "Live....and let live".

I personally believe anyone can do anything to their ride. Creativity is a great thing and many of us in this forum really appreciate that!

My rip at my old CLK was a fact. That particular car was BAD. I mean REALLY BAD. The kind of car that brings the reliability stats down for MERC. So bad that they sent the car back to Germany for analysis. It could and does happen to any brand.... any platform. I believe it is less likely in a limited production car. Smaller chance in a small statistical sampling. Does Merc AMG cars portend to a higher level of "quality"? YES, quality of materials. In addition to performance, that's what AMG sells.

CLK's have incredible residual value. (Mini is second) Know why? Great looking car and in high demand!!!! And if you get one that runs great, you should be in heaven!!!

Does the CLK have issues? Yea, so does every Merc, BMW, Porche, Audi and every other brand.

Back on task....

Once again, I like the 209 CLK grille, I like the new 06 CLK grille more. I have a C55 de-badged and I have 2 badges that I readily interchange depending on my mood. I may or may not replace my stock grille for an 06 CLK grille. My taste.

Some of you 209 guys may replace the old grille for the new. That doesn't make you 06 wanna bees or cheesy.

Here's something to think about. Lay people driving wouldn't know what we are talking about. Many of them would think we're nuts......including and starting off with my wife!!! Thankfully though, she lets me play with my toys!

When I told my wife I was putting on cross-drilled rear rotors. she said, "What is that"???? Hummmmmm

You know what's great....nobody has my ride.....exactly. That's called.....individuality.

Anyway, my thanks to the parts mfgs that make that happen for all of us!!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:38 PM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
Originally Posted by Chi500
It's not nearly as bad as this idiot. I saw it when I was in California and had to take a picture. What's an M 420?
"marijuana 4:20"
Old 04-27-2006, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by blkc230k
"marijuana 4:20"

haha how the hell did you find this 8 month old thread
Old 04-27-2006, 03:53 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
I just got a CLK 350 2 weeks ago.. well my original plan was to buy a C350 and put on the CLK grill on it. Nothing bad about the CLK grill on a C-class.

But i do have to say CLK sits higher than C class and it is a fact. C class is entry level Mercedes and CLK is in between C and E. if they were the same, MB would've offered 500 engine in the C, and they wouldn't put E class guages, SL style air vents in the CLK...and etc.. you gotta give it to MB and their pricing strategy.

Last edited by termigni; 04-27-2006 at 03:57 PM.