CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Found this on Edmunds...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
What you all are missing is the FRONT of the car and the INTERIOR which for the accord looks terrible. Comparing these two cars is ridiculous based on similarity in the rear.

Handling, performance, quality, etc. make the comparison even more ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:34 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

"Comparing these two cars is ridiculous based on similarity in the rear"

Exactly, I was just pointing out the similarity in shape of the rear light...obviously a rear-drive CLK is much much different than a front-drive Accord in almost every respect. Everyone knows that already. To even have to defend the CLK, that's ridiculous...

Honda makes quality cars...it's unfair to call them "pieces of ****" (especially when most of the loaners at my dealer were Accords)...but who aspires to drive one? They're functional transportation (and that's all they're meant to be), but at least they're reasonably fun to drive for a family sedan. If need be, out of all the bland cookie-cutter cars, I'd take an Accord (if the Passat was out of the picture).

Todd
Old 08-02-2002, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Cant we all get along?

Bottom line guys. A honda will always be a Honda: a good solid japanese car providing good gas milage and dependibility. Their cars are marketed for the masses. MB makes high-end cars catered to individuals who appreciate refinements, styles and quality most people wouldn't care for. MB is not a necessity in life, rather, a desire. MB has exploited this desire by craving a niche in the market that is very distinguishable from the other players.

Any type of copying of style on the part of japanese auto makers is a complement to it's german competitors. Very few japanese autos are in the same league w/ MB and this will not wont change.

I dont think MB will sacrifice their reputation and long history of automotive success to appeal to the mass markets by making cookie cutter designs. So what if an Accord looks somewhat like a CLK, big deal. How is that going to influence your decision to buy a new clk? If it does bother you, then, my friends, you dont' need a CLK, you need an ego adjustment.

djamer
Old 08-02-2002, 01:52 PM

red bicycle
Hey,

Agreed, djamer...now let's put this to rest...

Todd
Old 08-02-2002, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Lightbulb

Every car designer is a copycat - some are better, some worse at their craft. Occasionally, some are original and rarely do you find a great and innovative design/designer. MB is known for its innovative engineering, safety and occasional aesthetic triumphs new SL and CL.

Nonetheless, everybody is a designer. Buy the car you want/like/can afford, not what you want the car to be...just as you choose a wife/husband...
Old 08-02-2002, 05:35 PM

SL 500
good point..Karl..

cheers!

djamer
Old 08-02-2002, 10:04 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Question

Every car designer is a copycat ...
Interesting observation. I guess if you started paying attention to cars after, say, 1994 I can see where that is an accurate assertion. But it wasn't necessarily true before then. Benz's from the early 90s on back were unique - nothing alluded to their styling or the quality of their workmanship...on this latter point, even Rolls Royce. Not so today. (My dad had three different Bentleys and our mechanic told him MBs were better built and it was true. Of course, Benz's cost more back then when, umm I was a kid! (I'm 43.) I think a spartan 240 with MB-tex cost about $34,000+ in 1984. Velour cost extra.)

I believe that in an effort to cut costs and reach out to the proletariat, MB has moved to low-cost, mass market suppliers (mostly located in Japan). Maybe the suppliers tell Benz what their facilities can economically produce. Or maybe after Benz negotiates an order for parts for one of its to-be-released models, the supplier leaks to other customers what Daimler-Benz styling is doing and the wannabe's follow. (D-B...I can't use the "C" word, it nauseates me.) The Japanese cars aren't clones, but as the car rags say, they have very recognizable "styling clues."

Anyway, MB today ain't what it was yesterday...and that's the truth. But what is?

On another note, gawd help the manufacturer that copies the new Cadillacs. If you own stock in those guys, SELL

Last edited by woodyww; 08-02-2002 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:31 AM

Talking Interior of Honda coupe

None of you, CLK buyer will waste one more second sitting inside
It's a Honda !
Old 08-03-2002, 07:39 AM

Repeat this one, you'll never spend the wrong money ...
Old 08-03-2002, 09:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I like the Honda better!
Old 08-03-2002, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
On another note, gawd help the manufacturer that copies the new Cadillacs. If you own stock in those guys, SELL
The new caddies were designed by the AZTEK genius.

The new two-seater luxury sportscar for 2003/4 will also have the same chiseled looks. It will be built at the Corvette plant in Kentucky.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:29 PM

'03 CLK500
Originally posted by pocholin
I like the Honda better!
Are you on the crack? If you'd take the Honda over the Benz... wow. Anyways - you're comparing the interior Honda picture to (in my opinion) the worst looking color-combo for the CLK interior.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:49 PM

I like the Honda better!
4 years ago, I pickuped C70 instead of W208/CLK
One reason is the C70 has fantastic colors outside & interior
almost the same as an F355.(Red + light yellow)
even the "leather" is great,I can't spell its name(same as RS4)
fraction to hold you better than ordinary leather.

while CLK is either grey or black interior , plain looking...
In my country, the two tone interior like the pic of Honda
is everywhere start from 1.3L entry level vehicle, people
like it, and all carmakers are aware of that, copy & copy
Then you find it "standard" in 70% of the cars on the road
some agents won't, name one , Mercedes.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I like the Honda better!
hahahaha, LMAO, I couldn't resist playing this joke on you guys, I hope you find the fun in this

Of course I like the MB much better, I drive one , remember. Still LMAO
Old 08-05-2002, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
I AM FROM PLANET MB.... I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND YOU HUMANS... WAS THAT HUMOUR? WAS THAT A JOKE?

BEEP BEEP BEEP... MALFUNCTION IN MY CENTRAL CHARACTER ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM! WHAT IS HONDA? I WILL REPORT BACK TO MY SUPERIORS WITH THIS REPORT!

HONDA HONDA HONDA!!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Ahmed
I AM FROM PLANET MB.... I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND YOU HUMANS... WAS THAT HUMOUR? WAS THAT A JOKE?

BEEP BEEP BEEP... MALFUNCTION IN MY CENTRAL CHARACTER ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM! WHAT IS HONDA? I WILL REPORT BACK TO MY SUPERIORS WITH THIS REPORT!

HONDA HONDA HONDA!!!!
hahahha, LMAO