CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Found this on Edmunds...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2002 | 09:13 AM

red bicycle
Found this on Edmunds...

Hey,

I personally like the looks of the new 2003 CLK, despite people saying it looks like a Volvo C70 from the back.

But here's a picture of the new 2003 Honda Accord Coupe...think Honda was borrowing some design cues from Mercedes? But it looks like an Acura (or a Civic coupe in the window line) more than anything else...
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:35 AM

an old Z, of course....
The one thing that upsets me is that the ACCORD GETS TWO SEPARATE TAILPIPES, and the W209 only gets the single!!!!

Not that it is a major item, but Twin pipes add a more "powerful" look to the car!
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:35 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

I didn't read the article before, but Edmunds.com writes:

"If you drink a couple of beers and look at it from the back, you might think it's the new Mercedes CLK."

Haha.

Todd
Old 07-30-2002 | 12:06 PM

'03 CLK500
Does it look similar? Yeah, kinda. But you know what? The CLK is coming out first, the CLK is 2-3 times the price, and the CLK is the better car - in every single possible category, no matter how you slice or dice it.

Kinda like how the Audi TT is the b!tch of the Lexus SC430 (similar look, half the price), the Accord would sell its soul to be considered the b!tch of the CLK.
Old 07-30-2002 | 12:42 PM

red bicycle
Hey,

I think the new CLK is sweet...so what if the Accord just happens to resemble it? I really don't need to defend Mercedes for it.

The TT is the b*tch of the SC430? Not really...I think the SC430 looks like a bloated, overweight TT. And besides, the TT came out long before the SC. Lexus may make quality cars, but they have absolutely no grace to them.

Todd

Last edited by whatup?; 07-30-2002 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2002 | 02:26 PM

'03 CLK500
The TT came out first, but the Lexus is sooo much nicer than a TT. I've driven in a TT and my dad has an SC, and to me, there's no comparison. If you get it in the right color combination, the TT looks hot sometimes, but the Lexus has a better ride, much nicer interior finishing, retractable hardtop, DVD-navigation.. c'mon.
Old 07-30-2002 | 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After seeing the new CLK in person, I can say with much confidence that it does not look the the Volvo C70 or the picture of the new accord (who knows, in person it may). The CLK is very distinct. My quick 2 cents
Old 07-30-2002 | 09:00 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Thumbs up

The rear of the 2003 CLK looks more like that of the 2002 Toyota Camry. The CL500 is the one that looks like the Honda.

Photo from MBUSA Web Site:
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
CLK has finer lines, sleeker, new Accord is more bulky and rounded, that should separate them pretty much. Not to mention the interior and refinement the CLK has
Old 07-31-2002 | 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The new accord does look somewhat like CL from the back...honda probably got some cues from MB. I can say, however, that the new camry and CLK look nothing alike from the back. The CLK is very distinct...the pics don't do it justice. I almost canceled my order because I thought the styling was too similar to the camry, new accord, volvo, etc. but after seeing it in person I am totally sold. Again, just my 2 cents
Old 07-31-2002 | 09:47 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

No, I agree...I really like the look of the new CLK. I'm not comparing it to the Honda. The Accord just resembles the CLK, and not the other way around (if that makes any sense).

Mercedes just seems to have a way of making timeless cars. They'll look great forever...maybe it's a German thing. I can't describe it, but there's just a certain grace to the designs, which other cars try to emulate. That's probably why the Lexus LS430 looks like an oversized Avalon mated to a W140 S-Class.

Todd
Old 07-31-2002 | 09:53 AM

Talking Smart copt do smart ....

and that's for followers.
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
i can't believe this is actually happening on this forum!!!

now we're comparing mercs to honda's
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:15 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

Ummmm...did you read my last post? "I'm not comparing it to the Honda."

Anyway, if that upsets you, then don't look at my last post in the W220 S-Class forum...

I love Mercedes...but there's no harm in comparisons. They're just observations, not sacrilege.

Todd

Last edited by whatup?; 07-31-2002 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2002 | 11:18 AM

ML 500 Sport
Yeah...I just don't get these comparisons...the volvo..accord..camry...look NOTHING like the CLK or any other Merc

for those who think they do: take a design class and learn something about proportion, line, volume, and detailing..

the only thing these cars have in common are 4 wheels, and 2 doors!!!
Old 07-31-2002 | 11:29 AM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
The sad thing to me is that as few as ten years ago, these types of comparisons and conversations wouldn’t be taking place, in my opinion. At that time, MB styling was, indeed, unique and timeless. Not so today. Whether this is on purpose or by accident, I don’t know. People who have forked out a lot of cash for a MB (like me, for example – I have two currently and the third is on its way) would like to convince themselves that the Benz mystique remains. Some of the current Benz models DO IN FACT resemble Toyotas, Hondas, Volvos, and other lesser cars. And, yes Virginia, the ML DOES look a Chrysler, or whatever, minivan from the back. I know it and I have accepted it. (Case in point, I will be buying an ML soon.)

My feeling is that in search of the almighty dollar/Euro (or whatever) MB management has decided to up sales volumes by going “mass market” and, as a result, adopt generic styling and compromise on workmanship and quality of materials. Consequently, this will depreciate the legacy of the marque. And it’s starting to show. We know it and Benz knows it. This maybe a great short-term marketing strategy to rake in fast cash, and provide hefty performance bonuses and cushy retirements for current Benz management, but those who follow them may find it tougher to sustain the momentum as the mystique of the Mercedes-Benz name starts to lose some of its former glow.

(Excuse me for saying “Benz”. It really hurts me to say or write Daimler-CHRYSLER. Do you think the Germans had a clue as to what “Chrysler” connotes in the US? I don’t think they did or they wouldn’t have put the “C” word in the corporate name.)
Old 07-31-2002 | 11:53 AM

'03 CLK500
My feeling is that in search of the almighty dollar/Euro (or whatever) MB management has decided to up sales volumes by going “mass market” and, as a result, adopt generic styling and compromise on workmanship and quality of materials. Consequently, this will depreciate the legacy of the marque.

I don't think that's really it. I understand where all of this talk about lesser cars looking similar to Mercs, but to me, its not THAT big of a deal. Benzes still have "it". They have the aura that the lesser cars flat out don't. They are such better made cars that I feel silly even comparing a Benz to an Accord.

The way I see it - its like comparing how middle-America companies like Old Navy make something like a shirt with the "in" style, and sell it for $10.99, while department stores are selling the real deal or $50.00. Now this obviously isn't a perfect comparison, but that's kinda how it is. You're not gonna get the same cut. You're not gonna get the same material. It's not going to look as good after a few washes. But at a glance, you've got style
Old 07-31-2002 | 12:14 PM

red bicycle
Hey,

I really don't think Mercedes is adopting "generic styling" at all. I would never mistake a Benz for any other car...and I would definately not mistake another car for a Benz. The ML may look like a minivan to some (not me), but I wouldn't mistake it for a Chrylser Town & Country.

So the Accord's taillight mimicks (that's a much better word than "resembles") the Mercedes signiture angled profile...even after a few beers, I would never think the Accord was a CLK. As jco-amg said, it's all about proportion, line, volume, and detailing...something Mercedes knows well.

Todd

P.S. I also think the new Hyundai Sonata mimicks the front end of the W203 C-Class. You can't fault Mercedes for that one. And yes, the name DaimlerChysler bothers me as well.

Last edited by whatup?; 07-31-2002 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2002 | 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
i stand by what i said firmly!

it doesnt upset me.......... IT MAKES ME WANNA PUKE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2002 | 12:51 PM

red bicycle
Originally posted by Ahmed
it doesnt upset me.......... IT MAKES ME WANNA PUKE!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry man...I didn't like it either.

Todd
Old 07-31-2002 | 01:33 PM

SL500
Hi Everyone,

Mercedes-Benz Germany has set up quality teams on their production lines within the past year. There are teams for every production line E-class, S-class, etc. to get a handle of quality issues, so MB is well aware of there slipping quality.

Unfortunately, suppliers have been changing the specifications of parts supplied to MB, without letting MB know. MB needs to simply create a team of German-English-Japanese speaking individuals who are in charge of contacting/visiting all suppliers to make sure quality is rock solid, since many of MB quality issues are a result of poor quality from suppliers. It's a tough one, more suppliers mean lower cost and higher profits for MB but also slipping quality, while less suppliers would allow MB to keep them in check more easily but profits would shrink.

As for the ML, I personally think the back does look like a Chrysler Minivan and the interior quality, while not terrible, is no where near current Mercedes standards. The ML is in a bad need of a redesign. Eliminating the minivan look would not be to difficult.

As for Benz designs looking like other lesser cars, yes and no. Yes there is some resembalance but usually Benz sets the trends, they don't follow them. Also, since the late 90's Benz has come out with some of the most beautiful designs in there history.

On a side note, Mercedes will make Chrysler profitable (probably this year) and in a few years dump them. Although Mercedes is the best thing that has ever happened to Chrysler, they're to dumb to realize it.
Old 07-31-2002 | 02:17 PM

2013 SL 550
I agree with Ahmed, a honda is a piece of ****! How can you compare one to a BENZ?

"The Don"
Old 07-31-2002 | 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Exclamation Hmmm!

Is it me or the Honda Accord is getting small again. Sizing that thing up from my computer, I would think it was a 2003 Civic, LOL!
Old 08-01-2002 | 03:38 PM

2003 BMW 540iT, 2019 BMW X3m40i, 2001 BMW 325i, 1999 C230K Sport
240hp on new accord

240hp on the new Accord?!! WHY?!??!?!, damn, and i thought my Accord Coupe/sedan killing days were just starting...but still this is just Japanese Car companies exaggerating their numbers. The torque curve of their so called 240 hp engines ends abruptly and they have their max torque for a very short period of time, but Mercedes is very conversative with their numbers and if you look at even the V-6's the torque peaks and then stays at that level for much longer time before peaking off. MO

But still 240hp compared to 215 is quite a bit...but nothing that a KN filter and Upsolute chip can't do.
Old 08-01-2002 | 08:19 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
I know a lot of people are upset that we are comparing all these car with/against the Merc. But, if you look at it from this point of view, you might rest a little bit easier. A majority of these cars are
coping MBZ, not the other way around. Like I have said in another thread, Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

P.S.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Japanese manufacturers, but they couldn't come up with an original idea if they had too!!! They are the Puff Daddy of the car world, everything is a REMIX.

MarcusBenz
H.O.I. MBZ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found this on Edmunds...