CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dealer Allocations (Long Story and Question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an old Z, of course....
Question Dealer Allocations (Long Story and Question)

A long story and question:

In May, 2002, I place an order for a new W209 CLK with an all-in-one luxury car dealer (8 different makes). The dealer (we'll call him Dealer #1 for this story) said that I was #2 on the list, and my car would be ordered in early July, with delivery early September. Every other week, I would call and get an update...every call would get the same response...the dealership has not been given any more allocations for the W209 CLK...

A week ago Saturday, another immediate family member wanted to purchase a new ML 320. We went to Dealer #1. After three grueling hours negotiating, and everybody on my side feeling pretty beat-up, we came to a final price. Since it was near closing, the dealer asked us to put a deposit down, but wait until Monday to purchase the vehicle. (He must had a hot date or something....)

Just for giggles, I contacted another MB dealer (Dealer #2). To my surprise, they had the exact vehicle on their lot, and were willing to give me an additional $1,500 off the price I negotiated with Dealer #1. Needless to say, we ran over there, where we were welcomed with open arms. Even though they were closing the doors for the weekend, we were able to purchase and take the ML home with us. I was so impressed with the service that I asked what it would take to transfer my CLK order to Dealer #2. He said that orders couldn't be transfered, but I could cancel my orginal order, and reorder with him. He had two CLK's at VPC without any owners. Unfortunately, neither car had what I wanted in options and colors. He said that if I reordered, he would be able to get me a build date allocation in early August, with the vehicle being here in September gauranteed (or they will give me a loaner MB until it arrives!!!).

The question is this:
How do some dealers get more vehicles allocated than others? Can you tell which dealer is the preferred dealer? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:23 PM

'03 CLK500
From what I understand, the biggest factor in being a "preferred dealership" is how many cars your dealership sells. If there's 2 MB dealerships in your area - a HUGE one that's been around for years and sells several cars a week, and a brand new MB dealership that just opened up around the corner from you - you may be #5 on the list at the HUGE dealership, and get your car before the person who is #2 on the list at the new, upstart dealership. That's just the way it is.

However, there's a pro and a con to every situation. The HUGE dealership is much less likely to give you a break on a car than the upstart dealership is. I had a very similar situation like this in June.

We were going to purchase an ML500 for my little brother at the HUGE dealership. My dad was able to get a little bit off of what they were charging, but they would barely budge on the price. The price they quoted us was as low as they could possibly go, so they said. Then, we drive to the dealership that had just opened up, they offered us a MUCH better deal, and got our business.

So the moral of the story is, bigger dealerships get more cars allocated to them, while you have a better chance getting some play on the price with the smaller dealerships that are more in need of your business.

Hope that helps, and good luck w/the car!

Last edited by likuidM5; 07-30-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:53 AM

Lightbulb Performance talks

Not only in Car business, but everywhere.......
I just received a call from Sales mgr, the one takes care of my CLK.

"Are you interested in W211/E55AMG, the plan ex-factory date
is around 1st week of September.
if you want it the No.1 owner,we can arrange that by aircargo
one week later as its debut in Germany car show....."
"and we're now quote your prefer in options & colors"

Upto 6 SL55AMG they sold from Q2, thus be able to delievery
AMG new Models as soon as Debut !!!!
Old 07-31-2002, 05:55 PM

2002M3
Shine,

Your CLK500 is hot!

Where are you located in Taiwan? I might be going to Taiwan, perhap visit you(your cars only, lol) if you don't mind when I'm back in HK around X'mas til New Year.

P.S.
Didn't realize there're so many chinese in this forum