CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Changing Front Side Marker Light??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Front Side Marker Light??

I found clear European style replacements for the amber front side marker lights, with amber bulb replacements. Manual says that changing side marker bulbs is technically complicated and should only be done by an MB tech. Looks like simple clips to me but there could be something I'm not aware of. Has anyone out there attempted this? What can you tell me? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
this has been discussed a few times, do a search
Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 PM

CLK500
Check the past threads, and also its in the manual. Try the portion that talks about changing bulbs. I'd tell you how i did it but if you mess up you make harm the side lamp.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM

I appreciate the response and I did a search that yielded one thread but am still stuck: I've been through my manual 3 times, twice before I posted this thread and cannot find ANY direction except this: "Since replacing the side marker lamp bulbs is a technically highly demanding process, we recommend you have the side marker lamp bulbs replaced by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center." That's what has me assuming the process may be a lot more complicated than I think, but I don't know why. Again, can anyone lend experience or persepctive? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:38 PM

none
hmmm. I'm waiting for mine to come in right now too. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days, how technically demanding it is
Old 02-14-2006, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=side+marker
Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Duh on me. Thank you for the link. But now I'm even more perplexed as to why the manual is calling it complicated and advocating that an MB tech do it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tscurt
Duh on me. Thank you for the link. But now I'm even more perplexed as to why the manual is calling it complicated and advocating that an MB tech do it.
As usual, MB wants to milk your wallet. There are a lot of things you can Do It Yourself (DIY) by asking people here on the forums AND SEARCHING using various keywords & combinations (i.e. sidemarkers, side markers, etc) . On the C class, removing the lense is done from the front. I've used a screwdriver covered with a cloth (to prevent scuffing the car body) to SLOWLY pry it at the same time pushing back. As soon as you see the tabs, you can lift up. Sounds like your model is done from the back of the lense and prying and pushing forward.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
anyone know which bulbs go good in there for a xenon (HID) color?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM

CLK500
On my manual it said to push the lens towards the tire ( it made the front clips go loose), then i simply pulled them out. Since i put in the clear side markers its been a little bit tougher, also a credit card works pretty well too. I bought super white xenon bulbs.(http://autolumination.com/festoon_before_after.htm) The direct link would be http://autolumination.com/194.htm they're pretty much at the bottom.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Once again, thanks sincerely for the help and for taking the time.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Once again, thanks sincerely for the help and for taking the time.
So, you got it off? If so, post pics for other members to see.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pth611
On my manual it said to push the lens towards the tire ( it made the front clips go loose), then i simply pulled them out. Since i put in the clear side markers its been a little bit tougher, also a credit card works pretty well too. I bought super white xenon bulbs.(http://autolumination.com/festoon_before_after.htm) The direct link would be http://autolumination.com/194.htm they're pretty much at the bottom.
Ahh I like the look they give, can you post pictures of it lit? If you could that would be awesome. Can I put these in my FOG lights or no? What can I do about my fogs for a reasonable price. I have the OEM xenons from the factory

EDIT: Also, that bulb just screws in replace of the other one?

Last edited by InTheBenz0; 02-15-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM

CLK500
I can take some pics later on in teh next few days, ( i have to prepare a speech for class) But they look pretty nice lit up. As for fog lights, i'm not sure if it would make them good for function because i have never tryed it. The bulbs look bright but may not be bright to use for fogs, but if any member does know it would help out.

edit: the 194 super white xenon bulbs are plug in play, and all you have to do to change the bulbs is pull them out and put in other ones. The LEDs are a different story.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

plug and play- meaning put them in and they work?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 PM

CLK500
The side marker bulbs are ( i believe they're 5w and 194) they fit into a slot.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
So, you got it off? If so, post pics for other members to see.
Uhhh..my only and weakest excuse is the car is brand spankin' new, I waited 3 months for it, got it into the garage and covered 2 hours before the big Noreaster' snow storm of 2/11 and it is black on black. Frankly, right now, I'm chicken to try it myself.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:48 AM

none
Uhhh..my only and weakest excuse is the car is brand spankin' new, I waited 3 months for it, got it into the garage and covered 2 hours before the big Noreaster' snow storm of 2/11 and it is black on black. Frankly, right now, I'm chicken to try it myself.
last night I got my side markers in the mail. The swap was the easiest thing I've ever done.

I used a credit card type card, just in case, not to bend a normal CC. I used on membership card... Anyhow, take the card, and stick under a corner of the marker, that is closes to the wheel. Then grab both corners of the card with two hands and pull it towards you. Don't be affraisd to break it. It will pop out right away. Then you change the bulb, plug in the new side marker and...

Side marker has 2 clips on the back. First, slide in the side of the marker that is AWAY from the wheel and then smack the side that is CLOSER to the wheel, and it will pop back in. Basically the reverse of what you did to take the original one out.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by filip75
last night I got my side markers in the mail. The swap was the easiest thing I've ever done.

I used a credit card type card, just in case, not to bend a normal CC. I used on membership card... Anyhow, take the card, and stick under a corner of the marker, that is closes to the wheel. Then grab both corners of the card with two hands and pull it towards you. Don't be affraisd to break it. It will pop out right away. Then you change the bulb, plug in the new side marker and...

Side marker has 2 clips on the back. First, slide in the side of the marker that is AWAY from the wheel and then smack the side that is CLOSER to the wheel, and it will pop back in. Basically the reverse of what you did to take the original one out.
....and there you have it.
TSCURT, "YOU CAN DO IT!"
Old 02-16-2006, 02:24 PM

My hero!! Thank you. Maybe this weekend and I'll let you know how it went.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:24 PM

CLK-350 Coupe Cadet Blue.. YE YE
credit card technique works like a charm
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM

none
today I've installed the silvervision bulbs (no Yolk effect when they are off, but still light up in orange)... Next step is getting rid of the Yolk effect in the tail lights.

I had a just a minute, and looked at the back of the rear lights... It looks like a weird contraption. Is it easy to take apart? I haven't looked in the manual yet. Any idea on what kind of (turn signal) bulb is being used in them?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I STFF'ed and had my choice of a bunch of wicked old threads to resurrect (chose this one cuz it had the good install instructions). Many of the recommendations in the old threads are no longer valid, like Evosport for Body-Colored Side Markers or Depo for clears. I found this set on eBay for <$50 and they look cool. They come with the amber bulbs, and I know a lot of members have switched to clear bulbs when putting in the clear corners. Aren't amber lights required in US by DOT?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Originally Posted by eddieo45
I STFF'ed and had my choice of a bunch of wicked old threads to resurrect (chose this one cuz it had the good install instructions). Many of the recommendations in the old threads are no longer valid, like Evosport for Body-Colored Side Markers or Depo for clears. I found this set on eBay for <$50 and they look cool. They come with the amber bulbs, and I know a lot of members have switched to clear bulbs when putting in the clear corners. Aren't amber lights required in US by DOT?
Yes, the DOT does require that every vehicle have an amber light/reflector of some sort on the front of vehicle that can be seen from the side. But, I mean...no one really knows that, and chances are..most law enforcement won't know either.

I just ordered a pair of smoked side markers from eBay, and they come with chrome amber stealth bulbs.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by eddieo45

You are the king of resurrection! BTW Evopsort does still have painted corners

Mercedes-ALL W209 CLK-class evosport - Pre-Painted Bumper Reflectors (pair) - W209 CLK-Class (also for C55 AMG) - [EVO.LTG.M09.PL1] $149.00

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing Front Side Marker Light??