CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 500 v. Corvette Vert (C6)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by 32AMGracing
I actually am really sorry this happend to your thread... but when someone gets that ill mannered towards me I can't just sit back and let the guy think I am a fake. I worked hard to own what I do and to have someone just say that really bothers me. Back on track - I really feel since this will be a "weekend" car moreso that the corvette will be a more fun choice. Don't get me wrong I like the CLK - awesome car for DD use, and is very luxurious... but for a weekend car I think you will like the raw power of the vette along with its 6 speed manual transmission.
I really want to see that you're for real and I don't want you to sit back like you did on the other thread.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Life's not long enough for this.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by carthinker
This is ridiculous.

The thread was started for any insight into two cars - and it has been hijacked into nonsense about who really owns what car.

Back on Track - anyone own both cars or have driven them in comparison? I'm thinking of shelling out $60k+ - I was hoping this forum could be useful.

I've been researching quesions (and otherwise lurking) on corvetteforum.com for about a year - and I've never seen any nonsense like this.
I'm really sorry about this mess, but would you really like it if someone who has no idea about what they're talking about gives you advice on your $60,000 purchase?

This guy also sounds like this fake we had on here called YayoE55AMG.

As for the CLK, you'll want to watch out for problems with the 7 speed tranny, thats on the newer ones starting in '05 i think. There are also problems with the ones with the 5 speed tranny, where coolant leaks into the transmission fluid and the tranny has to be replaced. Whatever you do, make sure your car has a warranty!

When I first took delivery of my car, the steering wheel was offcenter, so it looked like the car was pulling to the right. My passanger side headlamp washer has never worked, it was repaired a year ago, but now it doesnt work again. Recently, the feature where the passenger rearview mirror tilts down when you're in reverse stopped working, so I took it in to have it fixed, but now my one touch window feature for the passenger side doesn't work. So most of the problems I've experienced are minor electronic ones.

But now I'm experiencing a problem with the engine, at idle it shakes like crazy and shakes the whole car. The transmission now also shifts very harshly from 1-2 at start up. I'm tkaing it in next week to see what the problem is.

Some owners have experienced severe problems, but I think most have only seen minor ones. If your car is under warranty even a severe problem shouldn't be a big deal because you have 24 hour road side service, and free service loaners, so you're covered.

Picking a CLK vs. the vette shouldn't be a hard decision, just go with whatever suits your needs, a daily driver or a weekend toy. Otherwise you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by Chi500; 02-26-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes

Life's not long enough for this.
You're right, I'll shut up about it unless he shows me I'm wrong, in which case I will apologize.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:09 PM

06 CLK 500 / 07 Honda Ridgeline
I gave you my opinion...lol...and you didn't even look.

This is ridiculous.

The thread was started for any insight into two cars - and it has been hijacked into nonsense about who really owns what car.

Back on Track - anyone own both cars or have driven them in comparison? I'm thinking of shelling out $60k+ - I was hoping this forum could be useful.

I've been researching quesions (and otherwise lurking) on corvetteforum.com for about a year - and I've never seen any nonsense like this.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
This is rediculous... I 1st joined the boards I was - close to either choosing a CLK500 or c32... go look on amgpower.com my name is 32amgracing... I just wanted the same handle.. I am apart of like 3-4 WRX forums from when I had my STI, my name there is inlovewithboost. z0sick6 on corvetteforum, s4biturbo on audilife, 350zrunnin12s on my350z.com - i dont have to prove ****, and it erks me because the vette and the cts r in the same driveway
What no response to the fact that you posted a pic with an STS next to a vette and not a CTS??

I also found a post you made a few weeks ago claiming you owned a c32, now you're saying you didn't:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/136370-few-questions-you-gurus-about-clk-500-a.html#post1465646

I have had my CLK-500 fora while now... (had a c32 amg) Looking to add some more power to the car.. I can't find any sites that sell anything?

I do have a budget so what would be the best to add? Intake - is there one? Chip? Does exhaust do anything or is it just for sound?

Also, what wheels are these (all i know is that they are 19s - thats all i know)

FAKE!! Feel free to post but don't pretend to own a mercedes douchebag.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i didnt read all that b.s., so please forgive me. how old are you and a little about you would be better than just asking what kind of car you should get? a car says a little about who you are, so it is impt. in a decision.

i would rather have an all options vette than a more base clk for the summer!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
If we are to get the CLK550 with 382 hp (so I've be assured) it will be just as fast or faster than the SLK55 and pretty close to the vette. I've owned a new 99 Corvette vert for about 2 weeks before the rattles and poor build quality made me sell it; great power, lousy turning radius (even the C6's sucks) and GM service...not to mention it's still a Chevy. The C6 is a much nicer car than the C5 but the interior is still just not there (among other things) especially when the average C6 vert is $55 to $65K; for that kind of $$$ I'd get the new CLK550 anytime, anyday.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by blume
i didnt read all that b.s., so please forgive me. how old are you and a little about you would be better than just asking what kind of car you should get? a car says a little about who you are, so it is impt. in a decision.

For the price of an all options vetter you're not going to get a base CLK at all. You'll be getting a CLK550 with at least navi, xenons, moonroof, and I think it's called a cold weather package. Probably more.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 PM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
Talking

Corvetteforum... huh... HAHAH same name here as it is over there for me... hahaha.

Yeah... same deal. My hotrod is a 70 Vert... Daily Driver 02 E320.

I gotta tell ya... I have experienced both sides of this coin...

CLK...
Sweet ride, not to shabby on the speed... and you pay for the luxury and tri star symbol status.. Definately a good all around car... After ownership for awhile... you will be looking for more speed as you have had luxury for sometime...

Vette...
Sweet ride, excellent speed, and you get what you pay for on the interior components... (although they are better than 1995...) Definately a speed demon for any amount of money even though at 45K it is a steal...or 53K for Vert... After ownership for awhile... you will be looking for luxury as you have had speed for sometime...

I have had my E320 since May 02... longest car I have even owned besides my 70. After 9 months... I have wanted to trade in on something new... I know the feeling... good luck with your choice... until next year.. he ehe

oh.. forgot to add... (I am gonna get killed on this one..) I have not owned but have driven an M3... The car was quick, handled great and had some leg room in the back.... but something about the word "YUPPIE" prevents me from getting one. I picture guys in pink IZOD shirts and penny loafers driving these cars... HAHHA... could you see a guy in a 70 Vette getting sideways at a red light in this outfit... hahahahahaah

Last edited by Mr.Gearhead; 02-27-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

It's a mid-life fun car - not a daily driver. Might be nice to have the backseat for kids. I've never owned an extra car just for kicks. Trying to see what would be entertaining. I usually drive german cars.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Chi500
For the price of an all options vetter you're not going to get a base CLK at all. You'll be getting a CLK550 with at least navi, xenons, moonroof, and I think it's called a cold weather package. Probably more.
Agreed. The $$s are about the same.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chi500
2006 C6 Coupe, 400hp, 3LT, performance package, and paddle shifters: $52,230 MSRP.

2006 CLK 500 BASE: $55,125. w/ 302hp. Are navi, xenons, moon, and cold weather included in that price?

that is the reason i chose the vette for a summer car! good luck with purchase and dont forget the pics!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
2006 C6 Coupe, 400hp, 3LT, performance package, and paddle shifters: $52,230 MSRP.

2006 CLK 500 BASE: $55,125. w/ 302hp. Are navi, xenons, moon, and cold weather included in that price?

that is the reason i chose the vette for a summer car! good luck with purchase and dont forget the pics!
You're right. I was still in the mindset where you can't get a vette for MSRP, but it's been out for a while now and had to pay at least 60k.

I just remember him mentioning him willing to spend over $60000 in which case a CLK550 with 382 hp and options doesn't seem that bad of a deal. It'll come out to about $63,000 with the navi, xenons, moon, cold weather, and metallic paint. Are xenons standard on a c6? If not then the CLK550 and the vette are pretty close options and price-wise. A whole different world of performance though.