CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I saw the new CLK in person for the first time...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by 500AMG
... I guess the only way to solidify my opinion about the CLK is to take a more in-depth look in person, which I will do tomorrow at my dealer (2 hours away ). I'll ask him to give me side-by-sides on all 3 cars. It's often too difficult to form one's own opinion from other's opinions...which is what I'm trying to do now. Easier to just spend a good deal of time and see for myself ...
Here comes the real in-depth, profound, hard, penetrating, rocket-scientific question:

Is $50,000 closer to

a) $25,000

b) $90,000?

c) both of the above

d) none of the above
Old 08-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good one karl_k..
I think that must NAIL this never ending senseless comparision thread...
Old 08-18-2002, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's actually humorous how personally everyone is taking this...ie. the sarcastic remarks. I thought this was just an enthusiast's forum where educated MB lovers can discuss topics. The only reason I even brought up the CLK and SL comparison is because a CLK/C-coupe comparision was made. I felt like the CLK was closer to the SL than the C-coupe so I decided to voice my opinion and learn from others and thier observations. But I guess that is asking too much and as Karl K has pointed out, it all boils down to the money . I wish we could just compare styling cues objectively w/o looking at the costs for a second as this is not a value comparison. Or if someone wants to e-mail the design team and ask them what they intended, maybe that would make everyone feel better.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:45 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by Wildbill
I have to agree with Accord (John).

The new CLK looks more like the C coup. The width of the new CLK just looks too narrow. The concaved-in appearance around the door does not help either. This may be O.K. for a small car like the C coup, but for a larger car like the new CLK, this makes the W209 look emaciated.

On the other hand, the new SL with its wider proportion just shows power and in-your-face aggressiveness. The new CLK by no means commands that kind of presence.
I do agree that the the "concave" nature of the doors are not flattering and did take me by surprise. This certainly adds to the feeling that the car is not quite as wide. But I think once the car is given larger rims and lowered a bit its stance will improve drasticly.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:51 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by Accord
Benzo, it is good that you're happy with your CLK500. Like I said before, everyone has different opinions. My opinion is the CLK500 is not the prettiest thing on the block, and your opinion is that the car is stunning. You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

I had a CLK500 on order, but cancelled it after viewing more pictures of it and coming to the conclusion that is definetly not the car for me. After finally seeing the new CLK in person, I am glad that I cancelled it and ordered a C32 AMG.

I assure you that I am not jealous.
Again, I will repeat. Although the vehicle is growing on me (appearance-wise, the drive speaks for itself and there is no comparison) I do not feel that it is more pleasing than the W208. Not at all. I simply feel that after driving the vehicle, to me it was a no-brainer as I felt my 430's body was out-dated. I do think the back of the 500 needs to grow on me as well as the 3/4 front shot- which was my favorite angle of the 430. I am glad you understood what I said.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
500AMG

It's in good spirit, without ad hominem attacks (most of us), that we express our opinions, some more rational than others.

Opinions are always a mixture or right/left brain expressions, a mixture of subjectivity, logic and objectivity all based on our own life's experiences and backgrounds.

I enjoy these discussion, because it is always a learning experience and fun.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I enjoy these discussion, because it is always a learning experience and fun
Couldn't agree with you more. I've learned more than I could have hoped on these forums.

I can only speak for myself here and not others, but my purpose for comparing the 3 classes was not to make myself or anyone else "feel better" about their CLK for possible CLK purchase. I only took the discussion further, because it was generally agreed upon that the 209 is a "hybrid" Mercedes, but the models upon which cues were drawn were under debate. The C-coupe was mentioned and I feel as if the SL should also be mentioned (only front styling cues mind you...the rest of the SL is absolutely amazing, while I cannot say the same for the CLK). IMO The hood lines and grill are undoubtably more SL while the headlights seem to be a mixture. Again, the only way to truely know is to do side-by-side comparisons, which I mentioned I intended to do for CURIOUSITY'S sake . Money is hardly the issue, as is the case with many on this board. Many drive CLKs when they could afford SLs or CLs because they like the flavor of car. I did not intend to make the cost of the car an issue in the comparison.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:15 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
The W208 is easily distinguishable, and will definetly turn heads. The W209 is just another average car and will not turn heads.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I really don't want to argue with you but I have to say that this statement seems to be a generalization just as your comment as to why people are going out and buying the new CLK's.

We had a gathering at my home this weekend, and I cannot count how many people told me that it was such an incredible car. As far as turning heads, I've never riden or driven in a C-coupe but I can tell you I get alot more stares than I did in my 430. And, no, it isn't the type of stare you get when you have a bobbing head- jesus on your dashboard. Literally, I see people in my rearview trying to catch up to me then slow down to see other angles etc. I am not here to argue your every point but it seems as though you are just a little bit biased. (which is ok- I can certainly relate!)
Old 08-18-2002, 06:20 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by 500AMG

Couldn't agree with you more. I've learned more than I could have hoped on these forums.

I can only speak for myself here and not others, but my purpose for comparing the 3 classes was not to make myself or anyone else "feel better" about their CLK for possible CLK purchase. I only took the discussion further, because it was generally agreed upon that the 209 is a "hybrid" Mercedes, but the models upon which cues were drawn were under debate. The C-coupe was mentioned and I feel as if the SL should also be mentioned (only front styling cues mind you...the rest of the SL is absolutely amazing, while I cannot say the same for the CLK). IMO The hood lines and grill are undoubtably more SL while the headlights seem to be a mixture. Again, the only way to truely know is to do side-by-side comparisons, which I mentioned I intended to do for CURIOUSITY'S sake . Money is hardly the issue, as is the case with many on this board. Many drive CLKs when they could afford SLs or CLs because they like the flavor of car. I did not intend to make the cost of the car an issue in the comparison.
I think you are absolutely right. I believe that most people that buy 60-65k car could certainly afford to buy any car on the Benz lot. (aside from the Maybach) There is no two ways about it, the CLK is a total blend- what they blended the back with I have no idea and wished they hadn't. There are some changes that I would make to the car but then again, I'd change the rims on the SL55- but I wouldn't kick them out of bed either! Have great end to your weekends guys- I'm going for a ride...
Old 08-18-2002, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
500AMG

You are right. Do a comparative analysis of all 3 models and draw your own conclusions based on your findings.

I had to satisfy my own curiosity - again - and looked in 3-D at all 3 models - SL, CLK, C-Coupe - today at the Bill Ussery used car lot in Coral Gables.

While stylistic similarities among all three models abound among all three types, one of the most notable characteristics of the SL models has always been the sleek, long hood. I had a 2001 SL500; that hood went on to infinity...it seemed.

This long hood design is simply lacking in the new CLK and C-Coupe.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one of the most notable characteristics of the SL models has always been the sleek, long hood
VERY good observation! Observations like this are exactly what I was looking for. I believe the long hood and wider stance give the SL it's aggressive appeal. Now that I think about it, the shorter hood is what gives the CLK the awkward SL look (to me at least). Hope you know what I mean .

BTW. I commend you for taking another look at all 3. Information runs the world and I will hopefully be able to see all 3 tomorrow (weather permitting).
Old 08-18-2002, 10:09 PM

2013 SL 550
You all suck Hungarian ****! In my opinion, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, The W208 and W209 are 2 totally different cars in appearance. The W208 is a totally different exterior than the new one. HOWEVER, the interior SUCKS big time on the W208 compared to the W209. What is wrong with you people, it has no technology whatsoever. Not a headturner. Look, the W208 is a great looking car and when it came out, it was a head turner, now it's not because it's old hat! and the W209 is in BABY!

Ciao,

"The Don"
Old 08-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Almost a Member!

'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
Originally posted by "The Don"
You all suck Hungarian ****! In my opinion, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, The W208 and W209 are 2 totally different cars in appearance. The W208 is a totally different exterior than the new one. HOWEVER, the interior SUCKS big time on the W208 compared to the W209. What is wrong with you people, it has no technology whatsoever. Not a headturner. Look, the W208 is a great looking car and when it came out, it was a head turner, now it's not because it's old hat! and the W209 is in BABY!

Ciao,

"The Don"
soup?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by shoobie
soup?
No, it's a huge load of GOULASH!!

or

KIMCHI??
Old 08-19-2002, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I shouldn't have said the new W209 is ugly even with a body kit. Look at the new CLKDTM, the car is stunning. Mabye a nice Lorinser DTM body kit on the new CLK will be able to do wonders.

Old 08-19-2002, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
It's all relative.

Unfortunately, many of us mortals, won't be able to replicate this bird's-eye-view.

However, we come closer to a worm's-eye-view.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:28 AM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by Accord
I shouldn't have said the new W209 is ugly even with a body kit. Look at the new CLKDTM, the car is stunning. Mabye a nice Lorinser DTM body kit on the new CLK will be able to do wonders.

I am really hoping that the Lorinser kit will finish the car!!!!! The DTM does look hot- nicer than the last I think. Where is th new Lorinser kit- I keep checking the sight but no luck. I am hoping they don't base it off the new SL- too "Star Trek" for me. (but that may be inevitable)
Old 08-19-2002, 09:30 AM

ML 500 Sport
fuzzy math?: 25k is only 1/2 of 50k....50k is more than 1/2 of 90k.

After seeing more and more of the w209...I am beginning to like it...regardless I think it is going to be a HUGE success.

Last edited by jco-amg; 08-19-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by jco-amg
After seeing more and more of the w203...I am beginning to like it...regardless I think it is going to be a HUGE success.
The W203 is already a success .
Old 08-19-2002, 03:23 PM

ML 500 Sport
ayeyayay...I got 203 on the brain ...w209
Old 08-19-2002, 07:41 PM

2005 SL65
hey, this thread got interesting.

accord, i'd like to associate myself with your comments, and with those of others generally sympathetic to your views.

i can't speak to the drivability of the 209, but i'm certain, from all the glowing comments, it's a hands-down winner and a 208+.
but that body...

at a lower price point, i'd bite. not for that retail, though. as i wrote elsewhere on this board, i'll face the so-important decision about what to drive when my 208 goes out of warranty and something major goes wrong.

by then, i could probably find a clean, low-mileage 209-500 at a price my poor, sensitive tummy can tolerate.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:58 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by david_101
hey, this thread got interesting.

accord, i'd like to associate myself with your comments, and with those of others generally sympathetic to your views.

i can't speak to the drivability of the 209, but i'm certain, from all the glowing comments, it's a hands-down winner and a 208+.
but that body...

at a lower price point, i'd bite. not for that retail, though. as i wrote elsewhere on this board, i'll face the so-important decision about what to drive when my 208 goes out of warranty and something major goes wrong.

by then, i could probably find a clean, low-mileage 209-500 at a price my poor, sensitive tummy can tolerate.
It really isn't much more expensice than the w208 comparably equipped. They do offer more options so the price can be over sixty.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A fully loaded CLK500 is roughly the same price as a CLK430 with the equivelant options... around $62k.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:24 PM

2005 SL65
benzo, i understand your point, but my threshold for the 209 is higher than for the 208. it's not a car that moves me much...at least in the direction i like to go.

put another way, i don't very much want to own the thing. so a lower price would make me more likely to look at it seriously as a buy. that's what i should've written in my last post.

i sincerely wish i felt otherwise. hey, my fiancee didn't want me to get the last SL because she thought it looked like a ford mustang. she's infatuated with the brand new body, which, i have to say, is far beyond my threshold. it's such a beautiful beast though. i'd be far more likely to cross my threshold for that, at 99k than for the CLK at 65k.

hey, i'm talking about thresholds far too much. um, i guess the wedding's creeping up. i'd better stop talking about spending on cars because i hear that wives, even the working ones, cost a heck of a lot, too!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:45 PM

an old Z, of course....
Wives and Cars

David_101:

You got that last statement correct...

My wife quit work right BEFORE the wedding, and still hasn't gone back. The only way that I have been able to intice her into finding employment is by saying that I will replace her current SUV with a new X5 or ML...There goes the CLK 55 I wanted...

PS. I don't mean to offend any females browsing the forums...I guess if I could have found a wife with a good career, I may have stopped working...but I still would have negotiated a CLK out of the deal/marriage:p :p :p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I saw the new CLK in person for the first time...