CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Could somebody explain what comes with the Motorola V60 phone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2002 | 07:35 PM

'03 CLK500
Question Could somebody explain what comes with the Motorola V60 phone?

Ok. I'm getting the voice activated Motorola V60 phone with my CLK. Could somebody please give me some (ANY) information about it?

I currently have a Motorola StarTAC phone. I know I'll have to get rid of that. Will I be able to keep the same service (Verizon) and keep my same phone number? I've got such a good #, I'd be really pissed to lose it!!

Also - how does the voice recognition work? I've heard that having a voice recognition phone activates several other VR features on the COMAND system - like being able to use VR for CDs, Radio, Navigation, etc. ??

So please - somebody who has a little knowledge about the phone, gimme the scoop.
Old 08-20-2002 | 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just bring the phone to any Verizon store (or call up with the # inside the phone behind the battery) and they'll switch your service to the new phone. Takes about 5 minutes.
Old 08-20-2002 | 08:31 PM

an old Z, of course....
I had a family member that tried it...

and it was a pain in the a**. It wasn't a Verizon phone, it was AT&T. The AT & T rep. through his hands up, told them to go to MB and have them figure it out. The MB rep. said "Use one of the plans we recommend!"...not really what we wanted to hear.

On a positive note, it is a really COOL phone. I want one just for the looks....

GOOD LUCK..and post pic's as soon as you take delivery.
Old 08-20-2002 | 08:34 PM

an old Z, of course....
Old Brochure

Per the 2001 C-Class Brochure...

"Just tap the stalk on the steering column and talk normally. You can make calls and select your favorite music without ever taking your hands off the steering wheel..."

Cool....
Old 08-20-2002 | 10:45 PM
Almost a Member!

'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
i don't know anything about the car-related features, but i just got a V60i, and it's a great phone!
Old 08-21-2002 | 01:04 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
the V60 in the car holds signal in areas that the regular V60 (that I've had for almost a year) didn't. Not sure if there's a booster for power, or just the antenna...but works superbly.

Also, surprised if anyone had to take it anywhere for set-up. The MB salesman (Peter McGinnis at Ft. Laud. MB) programmed it for me while the pre-delivery tour was provided by the MB gal. So long as you use a TDMA carrier (like AT&T) as your existing cell provider, it should be set-up for you before you leave the showroom. It's simply an issue of calling them for an ESS change and though I could have, I'm glad they did, and they also placed a number of my phonebook entries in it; which downloaded to the car immediately.

Also; to my surprise, I get the impression that Tel-Aid is not using the same cell phone; but is a separate cellular transmitter in the car, tied-into the GPS; that's the impression I got logging-onto the service for the first time. Most important; excellent reception.

good luck; thought twice about ordering the phone months ago, but actually glad I did (would be a waste without the voice module).

cheers..
Old 08-21-2002 | 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
the V60 phone is pretty sweet... its too bad u have to use verizon as the provider (in so cal at least, not sure about the rest of US). If they could accept a GSM V60, that would be awesome. That way I could keep the same phone which i could use overseas in Europe and Asia.

oh well, can't have everything
Old 08-21-2002 | 11:49 AM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
I have a 2003 ML500 with the V60 voice command system you're getting. You will love the voice command. I do. While the phone is docked in the car, you can store numbers in the V60 using voice input. It's nice to touch the stalk, say "Dial name," then say the name and have the call go through. When you're finished with the call, the system will go back to what it was doing before the call. If it's on radio and you want to hear a CD, you can say, for example, "CD," "CD 3," "Track 6," and the next thing you know the song is playing. I haven't tackled the Nav system yet. Mine in the '03 ML is DVD-based. The salesman walked me through it, but who can remember all that crap they show you. Anyway, he noticed that some of the Nav system screens have changed with the DVD system (1 Nav disc total). He liked the new screens better than the ones the old CD-based version has (Also, 10 different Nav discs!!). Hope this helps.

P.S. I have Verizon for the telephones in both my CLK cabrio and the ML. They're great here in DC. Also, since TelAid is Verizon-based, it makes everything (including changes to your plan or whatever) very easy.

Last edited by woodyww; 08-21-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2002 | 12:28 PM

'03 CLK500
Thank you woody, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

mmgrad - In the North East, Verizon is by far the best cellular provider. My friend told me that they have 5 times more towers than AT&T in the tri-state area. Dunno if its true or not, but I know that Verizon is much better than AT&T, Sprint, or Voicestream around me.

On a side note, if the Voice Recognition is as cool as woodyww describes, I will be a very happy camper. Sure, Bi-Xenons would be nice, and I'll probably get them done after-market, but my dad would have never gone for the Motorola phone if we had a choice in the matter. We had to take the car that became available 'as is', so everything works out very nicely. When it comes down to it, I think voice recognition and a V60 cell phone are going to suit me better than Xenon headlights.

Last edited by likuidM5; 08-21-2002 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2002 | 12:51 PM

Glad that my comments helped to give you a feel for the voice command system. Again, you’re going to love it. A 15-page (or so) booklet will come with the V60 telephone explaining all the voice controls for each function – telephone, radio, CD, and tape. It’s easy reading and it will be painless to master the system. By the way, I think you can switch from what you’re doing to the Nav system using voice, but that’s about it. I believe that the entries into the Nav system have to be made manually using the joystick.

Last edited by woodyww; 08-21-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2002 | 01:05 PM

'03 CLK500
I'm sure some of the more technical stuff you've gotta do manually, that I'm not worried about. But if I can say catchy phrases like "CD4!", "Track 3!" and "Call Home" without the lady in my passenger seat wondering what the hell I'm doing.. then I'm set.
Old 08-21-2002 | 08:40 PM

You'll be able to do all that - easy as pie. And the person sitting next to you will be amazed (unless she's really jaded). My passengers were somewhat awestruck as I showed off the system to them. At first, the radio stations have to be accessed by saying the frequency numbers. For example, if the radio is on FM (and if it's not, you just say "FM), then 98.7 can be accessed by saying nine-eight-seven OR ninety-eight point seven. After that, you can nickname each station -- for example, "Jazz" or "Favorite" or "WMZQ" or whatever. For the third time, YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT..and it's fun, to boot! As the to xenons, I agree with you, the VR has more utility. I have xenons in my CLK and ML but I'd give them up in a heartbeat in exchange for the VR. CNN.com recently published a Swiss transportation study on xenons vs. halogens. The verdict was that the xenons did a better job of illuminating the sides of the road (good for curvy roads) but the halogens were better for illuminating straight ahead down the pike (distance).
Old 08-22-2002 | 12:34 AM

'03 CLK500
Music to my ears.