CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New CLK...and their designers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
330Ci
New CLK...and their designers...

I used to write on these forums a lot, until I got a BMW. I was originally deciding between a CLK 430, a new CLK 320 with AMG Package, or 330Ci. I obviouslly chose the 330Ci. But that's besides the point. I'm here to say that I'm happy I chose the 330Ci because I just don't like the look of the new CLK. It looks less masculine and has lost its muscle look. The 208 seemed to have prestige and power, but this doesn't look like it has power. I know the 500 is packing major heat, but that doesn't make a difference to me if the car doesn't look like it is capable of that. I don't want you to think I am partial towards BMW either, because my parents have 3 MBZ's (92 400SE, 02 E430, 01 CL600), and I love those cars. But I am truly disappointed with the new CLK. It seems like MBZ is just trying to save money by throwing spare parts from the C-class onto all their other classes. And their cars seem to be losing their muscle look. And I was hesistant to make judgements off of pictures, so I visited the dealer today. And to tell you the truth, I didn't like it. One thing I thought for sure was that I would love the CLK interior compared to my BMW interior. But I was wrong. The 4-buttons on the steering wheel are odd looking; they stick out...weird to me. And the car just seems really cramped inside. I'm not a big kid either, I'm about 5'6''-5'7'' about 135lbs. I'm actually pretty skinny, but I felt like i was trapped in a bubble. And the visibility was limited in the front windshield and back. I could continue, but this is getting extremely long. Please, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about the car. And please don't start a BMW vs. MBZ battle, that will get us no where. I don't want to talk about BMW...I want to talk about the new CLK. Thanks
Pkorkis
P.s. A few nice points about the W209, no b-pillar. I LOVE THAT!!! I wish the 330Ci had that capability...And the new grill with the MBZ emblem there instead on the hood is way better!

Last edited by Pkorkis; 08-25-2002 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:35 AM

1992 300E
Yeah, you are getting a little long in the tooth. Clearly, you must be rebelling against your parents because I can't imagine anybody picking a 330 ci over a clk. "Truly disappointed" I would recommend you take your friends and girlfriend back to the Mercedes dealership and asked them, "Who's prettier" and I bet you will find the Real Unbiased Truth. "The best thing I love about the car is the B-pillar", dude are you serious? The best thing I love about the Bmw is when you open the door the window slides down about a 1/4 of an inch from the seal. Otherwise, a nice review of the Clk.

Sonny
clk 500 Oct.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:30 AM

E320
pkorkis -

How old are you? How many cars have you had?

Wow. Quick question -- how many did YOU pay for? If all, what do you do.

The CLK redone is not as masculine as the BMW, I'll give you that.

If you are looking for a car that will turn heads, the CLK will absolutely do that. With the exception of about 10 people on this forum, everyone who has seen one thinks it is awesome through and through.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, lay off the guy, he gave his honest opinion. He is entitled to his opinion. Just like you guys felt that you had to state your opinion, he has every right to do so too. And it doesn't matter how old he is or he got the car (parents or otherwise), don't hate, more power to him. If he has the money to get those cars, then great for him.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

re: looks of the new W209

As for MY opinion of the W209, I think it has lost it's distinctive Mercedes look. When this new Mercedes is even being CONSIDERED to look like an Acura or Volvo or upcoming Honda Accord then it is not distinctive Mercedes. Go read the new E-class forum re: comments what people think the new model looks like. All you read in the CLK forums is doubt about the new look, except from those who have taken delivery of the car or are scheduled to, who defend their decision. You can know, without even reading the signature, who has or has ordered the W209 and who hasn't, just by the tone of the message. The E-class forum is different, because the new E-class is distinguishable as a Mercedes. This is nothing to say about the performance of the car. The car may have a bigger engine and more rigid frame but we're talking looks here.

Honestly, I think the W209 looks like a p***y car. I have the W208 and was scheduled to pick up the W209 first week of delivery, but I cancelled it once I saw it in person. If I had to change my W208, I would pick the 330ci before the new W209 (for looks.)
Old 08-25-2002, 12:24 PM

'03 CLK500
Wow. I couldn't imagine taking a 330ci over a CLK. Even a 320. There's no use in starting a BMW vs. MB argument, but being a soon-to-be CLK500 owner.. my take is this: There may be a few MB enthusiasts who don't like the look of the new CLK.. but I love it, and the average person is going to be wowed by it, no question.

I've taken several of my friends to the local MB dealership and side-by-side, they all agree that there is no comparison between the 208 and the 209. The 208 looks a little 'bulkier', but moreso 'dated'.

The old S-Class was a bulky tank, and I loved that car, but the current one has vertainly grown on me. The new generation of MB's are sleek and sophistocated.

I'm not a big kid either, I'm about 5'6''-5'7'' about 135lbs. I'm actually pretty skinny, but I felt like i was trapped in a bubble.

Are you serious? I'm 6'2'', 170lbs. I felt very comfortable in the car. I made a point of sitting in all 4 seats, and had no comfort problems anywhere - even in the back. Granted that the vast majority of people are shorter than myself, I don't think there will be a problem with space.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Likuid,

Yeah I'm not so sure about the too little room argument, I'm 6'1"-6'2" 205 lbs and there's plenty of room in the CLK IMHO even in the back seats (for a total of 4 people.)

Like I said in a prior post, everyone is entitled to their opinion: you may like the 209 better, that's perfectly fine. I think the 208 looks better. To each their own.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:27 PM

'03 CLK500
I've said this many times before, and I will say it again. The 208 is a great car, no doubt about it. It is 'bulkier' than the 209. It has more of a presence than the 209. And its been out for 4 years - enough time for people to let it grow on them and for people to really feel comfortable with them. This, I cannot deny.

But the 209 just has so many things going for it. The slimmed down, sleeker exterior is really a taste thing, whether you like it or not. You can't say its flat out ugly, because its not. Its a gorgeous car - but because its a preference thing, we'll say its on par with the 208.

Next, you've got the lack of a B-Pillar. To somebody who has a 208 and loves it (and dislikes the 209), this may not be a big deal. But for a soon-to-be 209 owner like myself (and probably to the average person), its a striking feature that really sets the car apart from the others.

How can you compare the interior of the 208 to the 209? I mean really. Back in May, before I knew about the 209, I was debating between a loaded Lexus GS300 and a CLK430. The thing that was holding me back from making what should be an obvious choice was the CLK's stark interior. I'm sorry, but it just screams "last generation", and it did even before the 209 was around. Not that its bad, but c'mon. Anybody who has sat in a 209 is really pushing it if they say they prefer the interior of the 208. Again, its personal preference, but please.

Then, there is the driving experience. I can't speak from personal experience, as I've yet to have the pleasure of driving a 209. However, one of its strongest points is the improved ride. Better handling, brakes, and speed.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the 209 looks FUGLY, but people will eventually get used to the look.

For performance/driving I can't comment on as I've never driven it.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:36 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Re: New CLK...and their designers...

Originally posted by Pkorkis
...I just don't like the look of the new CLK. It looks less masculine and has lost its muscle look. The 208 seemed to have prestige and power, but this doesn't look like it has power. ...
Amen! I don't care for what they (the designers) did to it either - with its Volvo-looking butt end and Mr. Peanut eyes. Although personally I've only seen the 209 sitting still, the "CLK on the Move!" thread confirms my belief that the car isn't as refined looking as the 208. (I'm definitely hanging on to mine.) But for those who prefer the 209, go to it. Daimler-Chrysler has to sell them to somebody and it might as well be you.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:13 PM

1992 300E
Talking Denial?

It's funny how all the negative opinions are from 208 owners. Atleast pretend you drive a Dae Woo so you can give us an unbiased evaluation.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:54 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Re: Denial?

Originally posted by rexdog29
It's funny how all the negative opinions are from 208 owners. Atleast pretend you drive a Dae Woo so you can give us an unbiased evaluation.
Is that what the folks drive who like it? If so, it explains a lot.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:02 PM

Re: New CLK...and their designers...

Originally posted by Pkorkis
I used to write on these forums a lot, until I got a BMW. I was originally deciding between a CLK 430, a new CLK 320 with AMG Package, or 330Ci. I obviouslly chose the 330Ci. But that's besides the point. I'm here to say that I'm happy I chose the 330Ci because I just don't like the look of the new CLK. It looks less masculine and has lost its muscle look. The 208 seemed to have prestige and power, but this doesn't look like it has power. I know the 500 is packing major heat, but that doesn't make a difference to me if the car doesn't look like it is capable of that. I don't want you to think I am partial towards BMW either, because my parents have 3 MBZ's (92 400SE, 02 E430, 01 CL600), and I love those cars. But I am truly disappointed with the new CLK. It seems like MBZ is just trying to save money by throwing spare parts from the C-class onto all their other classes. And their cars seem to be losing their muscle look. And I was hesistant to make judgements off of pictures, so I visited the dealer today. And to tell you the truth, I didn't like it. One thing I thought for sure was that I would love the CLK interior compared to my BMW interior. But I was wrong. The 4-buttons on the steering wheel are odd looking; they stick out...weird to me. And the car just seems really cramped inside. I'm not a big kid either, I'm about 5'6''-5'7'' about 135lbs. I'm actually pretty skinny, but I felt like i was trapped in a bubble. And the visibility was limited in the front windshield and back. I could continue, but this is getting extremely long. Please, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about the car. And please don't start a BMW vs. MBZ battle, that will get us no where. I don't want to talk about BMW...I want to talk about the new CLK. Thanks
Pkorkis
P.s. A few nice points about the W209, no b-pillar. I LOVE THAT!!! I wish the 330Ci had that capability...And the new grill with the MBZ emblem there instead on the hood is way better!
well hello there stevos brother. i agree that it looks a little feminine but others like it.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/revie...ry.asp?ID=4261
Old 08-25-2002, 07:24 PM

330Ci
Originally posted by clkfrk
pkorkis -

How old are you? How many cars have you had?

Wow. Quick question -- how many did YOU pay for? If all, what do you do.

The CLK redone is not as masculine as the BMW, I'll give you that.

If you are looking for a car that will turn heads, the CLK will absolutely do that. With the exception of about 10 people on this forum, everyone who has seen one thinks it is awesome through and through.
Thank you Safet for giving me a chance. What does my age or job matter (besides the subject of appeal of the CLK to certain age groups)? I think you need to realize that I'm not bashing on MB here, as you can see from my sig., my family likes MB a lot. My parents are the "old money" (Shine) customers who remain loyal to MB. I'm simply stating my opinion on the new CLK.
Safet and likuidM5, you were confused about my statement regarding the room inside the CLK. I was referring to the top of the car (not leg-room). It might have been that the seat was raised up, but whatever the case was when I sat in it, I felt like my head was really close to the roof. Maybe it was just the fact that I'm used to my BMW, and getting into a new car is a completely different feeling.
Regarding the W208 vs. W209 comparison. My heart still belongs to the W208. Everytime I see that car in black, I have to stop and watch as the car moves past me. If it were not for the release of the W209, I would be driving a Obsidian Black with black leather CLK 430. I think the car is absolutely beautiful. I like the look it has. It contains a 275 hp. engine that hits 0-60 in about 6 flat. But looks like a classy car that has "prestige" (said before). To me, it seems to have the best of both worlds. Whereas the W209 doesn't have that powerful look.

Lastly...rexdog29, you said, "It's funny how all the negative opinions are from 208 owners. Atleast pretend you drive a Dae Woo so you can give us an unbiased evaluation." Then wasn't your first post biased also because you have a W209 on order? You have to realize that of course the posts are going to be biased if someone drives a W208 rather than a W209; its because he chose the W208 because he likes it more than the W209. Are you saying that we need someone who likes the W209 more, but bought the W208 (which isn't going to happen)? Because we're not going to find a guy driving a Daewoo in this forum. All these posts will be biased one way or another according to the car we drive, simply because we bought the car that we like most. I bought the 330Ci because I like it more than the W209, so how can I be impartial?

Don't turn this into an argument (*cough* rexdog29 *cough*), keep it as a discussion.

P.s. Hey JFawwaz! You got me, I'm stevo's brother from the other BMW forums. And yeah, I read that article, very informative. After reading, I'd like to test drive a new CLK (but that won't happen, MB salesmen won't even look at me when I walk through the dealership unless its a scoul or mean look - I'm young that's why).

Last edited by Pkorkis; 08-25-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Denial?

Originally posted by rexdog29
So if we said only good stuff about the 209, would that then be a valid opinion on this board?

This is not the "Let's pump up the W209 Forum." This is the New CLK-Class (W209) "Discussion on the new up and coming CLK-Class" forum. All valid opinions both positive and negative are welcome.

Let whoever like it or not like it, I think the new 209 is ugly. I'd rather put my money towards a new E500/E55 than a $60k Volvo.

Last edited by Safet; 08-25-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:44 PM

1992 300E
Wink

Describing a Mercedes as "fugly and truly disappointed" is not a little off to you? I thought you were talking about the ml320 for a minute. I'm not a hater, I almost bought a 2002 clk 430 until I found out it was being replaced. C'mon guy lets keep it real.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:29 PM

2005 SL65
MB or not, i don't care for the 209. i also didn't care much for the big RR sedans. now the new bentley GT on the way, that's another matter entirely. rumored to have 500 hp, 4-wheel-drive and so on, anybody who wouldn't like that car would be a FOOL!

now, if any of you don't lust after that car, will you be fools? NO.

i'm on my 2nd 208, every option. i dropped my 209/55 order NOT after seeing pre-release images, but after seeing the officials. after seeing the 209 in person, i wasn't disappointed by my decision.

call me whatever you like...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with you David, I had the CLK500 ordered for first week delivery and dropped the car after I saw it in person too.

Frankly I also don't care what anyone calls me.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:57 AM

Talking

Many many thanks !
We need more allocation, 70+ for this year.
Not enough at all, keep saying it's "fugly" & cancelling the order to help buyers in other countrIES get more allocation.
Thanks again, gentlemen.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:35 AM
Aus

All right, fair enough one may not like the new 209 in comparison to the 208; or you might find it a little less masculine than the 208: agreed. But there is no way anyone with a sense of style can call it FUGLY- there is really little to hate about it, in fact i think its bloody beautiful!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:54 AM

2005 SL65
i don't begrudge anyone their pleasure with the 209. ENJOY. there are plenty of matters and issues which invite righteous indignation. shine, i'm not certain that my cancellation will help you where you are, but i certainly hope it helps someone, somewhere. safet, i think we're on the same page, both figuratively and literally. keep your eyes open for the bentley GT with the bumper sticker that reads: "my other car is a 208." later.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

David,

Agreed. Good luck with the Bentley.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:01 AM

Talking

It's about time... this thread is getting unnecessarily long...
My brother thinks Jennifer Lopez is hot, has the best body, and the most beautiful eyes... I don't think she's that pretty... Her butt is a bit too big for my taste, I think she has an ugly nose...
Me and my brother can go on and on but our preferences are set and the argument is meaningless.

So, some like 208, some don't, some like 209, some don't...
and I LOVE MY BLACK OPAL CLK500!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:20 AM

2005 SL65
schumacher, though this post will lengthen this thread beyond what you already added, i have to agree with you, too...about j. lo. hope the 209/500 serves you well.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:45 AM

BMW 330i
My unbiased opinion. The 208 has more presence than the 209. The 209 has a nicer interior. The 208 is close to being oldschool. The 209 looks very nice. Advantage 209

As for J.Lo you guys are in the minority. The rest of the world thinks that she is hot. A woman does not have to be shaped like a skinny 11 year boy to be attractive.

Last edited by Spoonie; 08-26-2002 at 10:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New CLK...and their designers...