CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I will wait for the CLE cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 AMG
I will wait for the CLE cab

I went to the Mercedes dealer In Santa Monica to check out the new CLK.

They had a CLK500 and a CLK 320

The CLK500 looked much better in person than I thought it would. The most impressive part was the wheels with there huge brakes. The profile looks very nice and the headlights were not as C class looking as I thought they would be, they look more like the new SL

The CLK320 was parked next to a C class sports coupe and it was hard not to think of the similarities with them side be side. Don't get me wrong, they do look different, but I wonder if caught in the rear-view mirror, would you think C sports coupe or CL?

I bought the CLK cab ealier this year because it was finally avaliable at window sticker and I love the looks of the 208. It looks like an E class Coupe even though it is on a C class body.

I feel Mercedes deviated from the E class look because it is planning on releasing the CLE E-Class coupe to compete with with the new BMW 6 series. It wouldn't make sense to have 2 coupse that looked like the E-class, so they wanted a totally different look. It looks very nice but it does not look like an E class.

I will wait then for the CLE cab. Since BMW will have a 6 series cab I am sure Mercedes will follow. It will probably be 10-20k more than the CLK cab but I think it will be well worth it.

I cannot speak for all that are "disapointed" with the new CLK but I think the main complaint about it is that it deviated from the E class styling. I don't fault Mercedes at all for the change because I understand the strategy.

I will not consider the 208 CLK officially replaced until the CLE is released maybe sometime in 2004.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:47 AM

no kidding, here's what i found...

[IMG]C:\CLE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-26-2002, 06:49 AM

here it is...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:25 AM

98 CLK 320/99 E430
I totally agree with you donbiz, i bought my CLK because It looked like a 2 door E class, even though it was based on the c platform. As for the 209 , personally i wouldnt pick one up it just way to C class to me. I think the 208 will always have more panache than the 209. I'd put it this way, if you like the way a new Cclass looks buy a 209. For me it would be like downgrading going from a 208 to a 209. I recently had a son so I need 4 doors so a coupe wont be in my plans for the near futre. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:57 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS

actually the new clk looks like the ******* child of a SL and a C coupe from up front, and theres nothing wrong with that. The design is far more modern then the 208, although the outgoing models' stance appears more agressive, and hefty.

as far as it being a step down from the 208, go test drive one and then tell talk about it hands down its a better car, even with the slighty less agressive image.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:24 AM

S63 AMG
I do not think there is much doubt about the new CLK being a better car then the 208. I was only commenting on how the car looks and how it's being positioned in Mercedes lineup.

I think it obvious they are marketing this as a converitble C class and the entire C class line (clk included) is positioned against BMW's 3 series and the New E class and upcoming CLE class will compete against the BMW 5 & 6 series.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:48 AM

In the pic, the SL looks great to me.
I'd like to have one when my kids grow up, a two seaters is then perfect to my retired life.

Buy my kids a BMW or CLK or C coupe whatever they like.
For now, I enjoy the ride of CLK.
There're a few W211 & lots of W220 followed
me on the street, they know CLK is much more expensive & rare
than theirs. I LIKE THAT FEELING.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:58 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by donbiz
I do not think there is much doubt about the new CLK being a better car then the 208. I was only commenting on how the car looks and how it's being positioned in Mercedes lineup.

I think it obvious they are marketing this as a converitble C class and the entire C class line (clk included) is positioned against BMW's 3 series and the New E class and upcoming CLE class will compete against the BMW 5 & 6 series.
I dont see how they are marketing this clk differently then the previous generation, and while auto mags compare the 3 and the clk, in reality the comparisons are a bit skewed:

a fully optioned m3 is about 57k
a fully option clk320 comes to 56k

how is that even a real comparison.... there both coupes thats about it.

its ok to be mad that your new clk (208) is now instantly old looking (you can call it classic if you want) but the 209 does not represent some significant shift in mercedes marketing of the clk model line.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
i agree. that link of the comparison of the clk320 vs the 330ci was interesting but the difference in price is $10000*... for that kind of money, i'd want a stronger endorsement of the clk over the 330ci.

base clk320 = $45k
base 330ci= $35k
Old 08-27-2002, 02:43 PM

S63 AMG
its ok to be mad that your new clk (208) is now instantly old looking (you can call it classic if you want) but the 209 does not represent some significant shift in mercedes marketing of the clk model line.
I think many people agree that the 209 looks more C than E.

There has been enough mention of it both here and in the press that it is silly to assuming that all 208 owners who do not agree with Mercedes decisions regarding the 209 must be bitter over a having an old looking car.

i still like my c280 and in no way was "mad" when Mercedes intriduced the new C class. In fact, I think the C32 looks great.

The new CLK looks great too (just not like an e class coupe) I don't think the 208 will look old until the old E class starts looking old (maybe in a year or two) and buy that time The CLE should be out for those of us that prefer the 2 headlights to the mr. peanut lenses.