CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

spent my lunch with an 03 CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 430
Thumbs down spent my lunch with an 03 CLK

Just got back from my lunch date with an 03 silver CLK 320 at the Princeton MB dealership. In my honest opinion, I can not say I love it. One can argue I am biased because I currently lease an 02 CLK 430, but regardless of the make model or year of a car, when I see a hot car I give it props.

My personal comments are as follows, love the no pillar design. The interior looks great and instead of the old square vents and knobs everything is circular. However, the profile of the 320 is very similar to the honda civic (I didn't believe it until I saw it either), and the rear is way to acura CL for me. The front view is definatley the 320's best side. Overall it appears MB just took the hatch back benz a step or two further. Its very subtle and refined. Nowhere near as aggressive, meaty and masculine as the 208 body style.

I am sure the CLK 500 will be hot and so will the AMG 55, but the overall body style is just to smooth and slender for my personal taste. With the success of 208 CLK I thought Benz was going to keep with an aggressive sports coupe. Now it seems as though they have a skinny, smooth, refined two door.

This is only my opinion. There were three people with me at the dealership. All three agreed with my comments and the salesman said other younger customers were expressing similar concerns. I did not drive the car and two others did along with the salesman and they said it rode great.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:28 PM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
You know, I share some of your views on the CLK's new look. A little too sleek, not as muscular and beefy as the 208, but I test drove the 03 CLK 320, and I loved it. I'm turning in my '99 SLK 230 for CLK. I should have it by Friday. I was a little concerned by going from a manual on the light little SLK to an automatic on the CLK, but once I drove the car, I was a convert. Wish I could go for the CLK 500 but I think the 320 will be fine for weaving through Manhattan traffic.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:57 AM

Mbslick
Friday ? that's Tomorrow.
Have you ever test run a C32AMG before your decision ?
The reposnse is very close to a short based SLK.
Anyway, CLK is a nice car, congrats !
Old 08-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Originally posted by Shine
Mbslick
Friday ? that's Tomorrow.
Have you ever test run a C32AMG before your decision ?
The reposnse is very close to a short based SLK.
Anyway, CLK is a nice car, congrats !
Actually, I'm picking it up today but in reference to your question about the C32, no, I didn't test drive it. I didn't even really consider the C32 since I'm not too fond of the body style. I guess I should have before making a final decision. Besides, I felt like the CLK might be a little more my style. Thanks for the advice though.