CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie -- Two CLK500 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie -- Two CLK500 questions

My wife and I saw and sat in the new CLK 500 last week, and decided that we needed to get one. We had intended to purchase an M3 Conv., but decided to pull our deposit and shift our attention to the CLK.

So, I find a car in another city that the salesmonkey tells me is immediately available -- Black CLK500, Charcoal Leather, Standard Audio Electronic Radio, Burl Walnut, K3 package -- for MSRP. I'm dealing with him by phone, so I can only go off of what he tells me.

First, does anyone know whether the Standard Audio Electronic Radio is the Bose system? If so, does it come with an in-dash CD player? I've only seen the COMMAND system, which I know has the cd/cd-rom slot.

Second, the guy told me that the glove box is prewired for a CD changer, but that the changer will not be available for another six months. He added that any MB dealership can install the changer once it arrives. Can anyone confirm this?

Third, what's this Saks promotion that I've read about?

Great forum, guys. Thanks in advance for the info.

Chance
Old 08-28-2002, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Re: Newbie -- Two CLK500 questions

Originally posted by chance
My wife and I saw and sat in the new CLK 500 last week, and decided that we needed to get one. We had intended to purchase an M3 Conv., but decided to pull our deposit and shift our attention to the CLK.

So, I find a car in another city that the salesmonkey tells me is immediately available -- Black CLK500, Charcoal Leather, Standard Audio Electronic Radio, Burl Walnut, K3 package -- for MSRP. I'm dealing with him by phone, so I can only go off of what he tells me.

First, does anyone know whether the Standard Audio Electronic Radio is the Bose system? If so, does it come with an in-dash CD player? I've only seen the COMMAND system, which I know has the cd/cd-rom slot.

Second, the guy told me that the glove box is prewired for a CD changer, but that the changer will not be available for another six months. He added that any MB dealership can install the changer once it arrives. Can anyone confirm this?

Third, what's this Saks promotion that I've read about?

Great forum, guys. Thanks in advance for the info.

Chance
Hi Chance,

Yes, the standard audio package is the Bose, but there is no in-dash CD. There's an optional factory installed glove box mounted CD changer for $400. It can also be installed at the dealership, but it may be more expensive. Seems to me that other posters on this forum have mentioned receiving their cars with the CD changer installed, so I don't know what the six month delay in availability is all about.

The Saks Special Edition is a limited edition of 61 cars. You can find out more at GermanCarFans

Last edited by LeroyC; 08-28-2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:02 PM

Thanks, LeroyC. Looks like I need to have another chat with my salesman.

Cheers.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
my understanding was that cars built prior to some date in July, as was mine, had the CD changer installed at the factory or the port; whereas now they are either factory or dealer; I think there was some change in MB's procedure, hence the confusion.

I have the CLK500, which I wish had more 'bass' response, but is otherwise fine. In mine the CD slot in the Command is normally used by the navigation, while the changer in the glove box is for tunes. It indicates that it will play CDRom's too, but I haven't had the chance to try that. I don't think there is an upgraded sound system for the CLK, as such, just either with or without command and with or without the CD changer. I think the E does offer one.

Either way, quite happy with the car so far.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If the CD was installed at the port (which it was not) it was $400. The dealer installed lists for $945 (part and labor). I got it for $645 which is what Clair's sells the part for mail-order.

I too didn't take a M3 I had ordered, glad I went with the CLK.