CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tire wear very fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire wear very fast

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what might cause tire to wear out fast? My factory tires on 16" wear out in less than a year. Sometimes my car would skid during rain or snow and I couldn't stop the car. So I changed it to Pirelli P Zero or Nero I couldn't remember the name. But, it also lasted only about a year before I start to skid on the rain especially when I turn (even at low speed..about 40 mph or so). And sometimes I couldn't stop the car with the brake. What might cause this? Also, can anyone recommend good all-season tire that would last longer?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What mileage?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by vodc4
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what might cause tire to wear out fast? My factory tires on 16" wear out in less than a year. Sometimes my car would skid during rain or snow and I couldn't stop the car. So I changed it to Pirelli P Zero or Nero I couldn't remember the name. But, it also lasted only about a year before I start to skid on the rain especially when I turn (even at low speed..about 40 mph or so). And sometimes I couldn't stop the car with the brake. What might cause this? Also, can anyone recommend good all-season tire that would last longer?

Thanks
I'm not surprised.. Tires these days just don;t last that long. Especially if they are summer tires. I don't know how many miles you do in a year, but if you get 15K on factory tires, you did good.All high performance tires are going to wear really Fast.. Because of this, you have to deal with the lesser of the two evils,

1. A cheaper tire that is noisy and wears fast, or
2. an expensive tire that is quieter and wears fast..

I kinda miss those big old tires like the 225 70 r 15 LOL.. at least you could get some miles on them, but those days are far gone....
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM

'05 SLK350
My personal recommendation would be Kumho Ecsta ASX's. I've had very good luck with Kumho's in the past on a couple of my Corvettes. For being a high performance tire they treadwear rating of 420 is amazing. I put nearly 20,000 miles on the set I had on my 2001 Corvette before trading the car in and still probably had another 10-15k miles left on tires. The only drawback I found was the tire is a tad on the noisy side, but then again my Corvette was not the best insulated car in the world.

I just looked at the specs on the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and it shows to have a tread rating of 400. So its pretty odd they wore out so quick. The only things I can think of would be alignment/caster/camber issues or you're really racking up the miles each year.

- Richard

Hey guys,

Thanks

Last edited by thanatos69; 09-26-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Hey guys,

Thanks

First, is the tire wearing evenly? If it's wearing in the center of the tire you're overinflating it. If its wearing on the shoulders of the tire it's underinflated. If they're not worn evenly that might be the cause of your need to replace them so often.

Second, how many miles were on them? high-performance tires aren't really going to last you more than 15,000 miles.

Third, how hard are you braking in the rain? How sharp was that turn you were describing? If you were going around a street corner at 40mph thats not really that slow and you can expect some sliding in the rain.

I'd second thanato's recommendation on the Kumho Ecsta ASX's. Great tire for the price. Great all season tire in general too. But you also have to remember using an all season tire causes you to give up some traction and performance in the rain than in a summer tire.