CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

burning smell & smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burning smell & smoke

i get home the other night and turn off the car. i get out and notice smoke coming out of the fog light area in the front bumper(the foglights were never turned on), in addition the car was giving off a burning smell that could be smelled when standing near the front hood. i never noticed this during the day but was able to spot the smoke in the evening when the delayed running lights are on. a couple weeks ago i would smell a burning smell that would briefly come out of my a/c vents and then it would disappear. i thought nothing of it. i took an appt. with my dealership to take the car in later today. anyone have an idea of what it may be? i hope it's not another oil leak.

also, does your car make a loud noise when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left or right? mine makes this loud whining noise that's uncomparable to my s-class or even my infiniti qx. i also noticed that the steering wheel vibrates as i accelerate. this only occurs when my a/c fan is blowing at full blast.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK350C
Originally Posted by xsta_c
i get home the other night and turn off the car. i get out and notice smoke coming out of the fog light area in the front bumper(the foglights were never turned on), in addition the car was giving off a burning smell that could be smelled when standing near the front hood. i never noticed this during the day but was able to spot the smoke in the evening when the delayed running lights are on. a couple weeks ago i would smell a burning smell that would briefly come out of my a/c vents and then it would disappear. i thought nothing of it. i took an appt. with my dealership to take the car in later today. anyone have an idea of what it may be? i hope it's not another oil leak.

also, does your car make a loud noise when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left or right? mine makes this loud whining noise that's uncomparable to my s-class or even my infiniti qx. i also noticed that the steering wheel vibrates as i accelerate. this only occurs when my a/c fan is blowing at full blast.
it sounds like you either have an oil leak or a wiring issue with the harness. I'm sure your dealer will be able to figure it out. As far as the loud whining noise, it should be power steering fluid. mercedes are notorious for the "evaporating" power steering fluid. it shrinks in cold weather. just top it off with recommended mb fluid and the noise will go away. the vibration could be a motor or transmission mount. just some ideas. have a technician check it out to be certain. good luck!!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks, i guess you were right. turned out to be another leak.