CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tranmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Tranmission

I have a 2004 CLK320 Coupe with about 94K KM.

My MB service advisor drove my car overnight and told me that I might need a new tranmission covered by the extended warranty. This car is my daily commute asnd while I did not find anything wrong with the tranmission, I am not a mechanical expert.

I guess changing the CLK tranmisison is a big job. Should I go for it? Not sure if it will be a new one or a refurbished one.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
If MB USA is offerring a new or rebuilt transmission, I'd recommend taking it. Here's why - if you don't take it now, and the transmission fails right after the warrantee ends, they'll offer you the exact same transmission. The difference is who's paying for it. Your SA isn't in the "giving away transmissions" business. If they say you need one, you probably do.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK
Originally Posted by mis3
I have a 2004 CLK320 Coupe with about 94K KM.

My MB service advisor drove my car overnight and told me that I might need a new tranmission covered by the extended warranty. This car is my daily commute asnd while I did not find anything wrong with the tranmission, I am not a mechanical expert.

I guess changing the CLK tranmisison is a big job. Should I go for it? Not sure if it will be a new one or a refurbished one.

The 2003/04 models are proned to transmission problems due to faulty radiator hosing which contaminates and damages your transmission. If they offer you the new transmission I would take it. Make sure you ask them to replace the Behr radiator hosing with the new ones. It will save you a whole lot of headache in the long run. This job will run you about $10k in parts and labour.... I would take your dealer's offer as I've alread had pretty much the entire drive train replaced under warranty.