CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Oil Dipstick for 2004 CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Oil Dipstick for 2004 CLK

I am starting this new thread because there was lack of interest in the other thread "Oil Change".

My buddy in MB gave me a dipstick. I tried it, not sure if it reached the bottom but I did see the oil came up to a certain level of the dipstick. Well, I saw the oil was a little dark, my buddy told me that the synthetic oil used in MB was a bit darker than regular oil. Is this true?

Is there anything wrong if I leave to dipstick there permanently?

By the way, on the handle of the dipstick, I saw a MB logo with the number 27204 desides it.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
It's a coincidence that you posted this today. Last week I decided that if I am going to do oil changes myself, I really need a dipstick. I have no idea how the CLK electronic system really works.

On previous visits to the MB parts desk I have been told that MB did not make such a device. Then I read elsewhere that my same engine in different models did (does) have a dipstick, so they should be available.

So last week I was in there picking up a filter, and I asked a different guy about a dipstick. He spent a while poring over exploded engine views, and then said he would order one - no problem. Trouble is, when it arrived and I tried it out it showed zero oil, while the cluster system indicated an OK oil level. So it must be for another model with a 'less-deep' engine.

Well today MB ordered another part number for me. This time MB are calling it a 'measuring stick', and it cost 4 times as much as the wrong dipstick!

I'll put up a picture of this 'measuring stick' when I pick it up on Saturday. I have no idea if it can remain in the car.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
These images show the tool that I now have. It is graduated in mm along it's length to suit different engines. I was given a table to relate my engine (2597cc V6) to the depth marks for the correct oil level.