CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Quality?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4 2.4 SE
CLK Quality?!

I've now done approx. 900 miles.

On delivery my speedtronic wasn't working properly. The local dealer fixed it and all was well for a whole week.

Then, on Saturday, I started the car and tried to use the windscreen wipers - no joy! They wouldn't work at all. All I could think of was to open and close the bonnet and that fixed it - but I didn't have a 'Malfunction' on the dash.

Then that afternoon the CD player decided not to eject a CD or change tracks or make any noise at all...

Within a hour it's working perfectly again.

Oh, and the cupholder doesn't pop out 50% of the time - gets stuck 1 cm out. And the glovebox won't close without slamming it very hard.

Anyone else had similar problems? It's going back to the dealer this week for diagnostics.

I'd expect better from Mercedes.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:59 AM
Aus

only the glovebox which needs quite a wack to close
Old 10-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Almost a Member!

My issues so far -

- The panic button does not work. Rollin down/up all windows require to be very close to the car and in a particular angle..
- The wiper is very noisy
- Yesterday, the radio went blank for a second (i.e the entire command system power offed) and came back again. It was like a brief amnesia

Apart from that every thing looks OK so far. Visit to the dealership to fix the above, tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3 Issues:

My sunroof makes 2 noises while closing and sometimes catches and opens back up...dealer says its a track issue and needs half a day.

Keyless entry (not GO) is very intermittent. I will sit there and push lock 20 times before the car will finally lock...same for unlock sometimes.

When the windows are up, radio off, AC off i hear a ticking noise...much like 2 marbles clanking together. Sounds like it is coming from one of the rear pillars or the sunshade. Has anyone experienced this??? My dealer claims not to hear it, but 5 other people have also heard it in my car.

If anyone has experienced these please reply!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:50 AM

Sounds like the typical problems of a first model year car.....for makes other than Mercedes.

Is this typcial of Mercedes Benz for now on?
Old 10-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4 2.4 SE
Rollin' up/down all windows

harish_m

I have the same thing - to roll up/down all windows I seem to have to point the key at the driver's door handle. I didn't think this was an issue..but maybe it is.

Does everyone have a glovebox that requires a good slam to close it?
Old 10-14-2002, 11:08 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
ya know there is nothing magical about mercedes benz vehicles,they too arent perfect,people just expect them to be
they are designed by humans,they are assembled by machines,both which make mistakes and are not perfect either.
get over it .
you have puirschased the safest car made.....
just be happy and accept a little inconvenience as part of the mercedes benz experience

BESIDES IT IS STILL JUST A CAR
Old 10-14-2002, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The windows are closed by infrered...so you have to point at the handle. That is normal.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:44 AM

A few complaints of my CLK500:

Seat belt extender on the driver's side went out
I hear the now infamous "clicking sound" at acceleration
Ergonomics of the seat adjuster is such that my knee hits it
The remote transmitter works only if its 2 feet from the car
The cupholder is in Egypt
The winshield wipers are loud
The windshield rain sensor is stupid and inaccurate
The car makes 17" rims look tiny
No automatic "up" feature on the back windows
When the trunk opens, anyone near it is physically assaulted
The mirrors don't fold like my S430

These may seem like a lot of complaints, but you should see the list I have for both my Acura CL and my S430. Overall, I love the car and will proabably keep it
Old 10-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4 2.4 SE
Wiper 'failure'

I spoke to my dealer today and they say that the wipers won't work if a door isn't properly closed.

I don't recall this being in the manual.

That might explain the problem I had on Saturday.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Aus

500AMG is correct the about the windows being closed/ opened by infrared and therefore needing to be close to the handle.

The glovebox does need a slamming

I agree the boot does open suddenly and with force, if you want someone else to enter the trunk/ boot i think let them pull the lever. If you want it open its good- its open when you get there
Old 10-15-2002, 11:30 AM

The infared control of the windows etc. is for security. Imagine a code grabber getting the code to open everything? Yikes!

Is there an adjustment on the glove box strike?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:38 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
quality control has been unfortunatly a issuse sine 96 it has been going down hill.
mercedes is no longer an elite vehicle ,the make vehicles for the masses,i:e c230 kompressor
they are trying to bring owners into the product at a younger age to keep them as part of th mb family.
however they are neglecting quality ,,in my opinion
Old 10-15-2002, 06:13 PM

CLK240 (W209)
I guess with each new model (from any manufacturer), if you are lucky enough to get a model in the first couple of months you can expect some problems. The main issue is how well does your dealer resolve the issue.

I have my car about 3 months now, lucky to get one of the first models into the country (to be built from spec) and I am very pleased with it.

The problems I have noticed would be:

- glove box hard to close
- wipers can be tad noisey sometimes
- rain sensor doesn't work well at night

The most annoying problem I had was a wind like noise, I could hear at speed (> 50 mph). I thought it was coming from the vent. Brought it to the garage, and within a couple of minutes the mechanic trace it to the passenger window, he then checked out the window and also door alignment. It looks like it needs the seals replaced. They ordered them, and I should get them replaced soon.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:42 PM

glovebox problem is VERY VERY COMMON
in ALL models not just clk....

my bro's c320 and my friend's c240 have the same problem...
i wonder if the other models also have the same prob...

or is it because the clk is baesd on the c-class?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:58 PM

mercedes quality is going to hell, but still... the clk just came out, you know the first yr a model comes out it sucks *** (as far as reliablity is concerned)
Old 10-18-2002, 07:27 AM

My Problems :

1. Sometimes when the car is dirty a little bit and i want to close or open the window i hear an annoying noise ...(have anybody solved this problem )
2.When i drive above 140KM\h i start hearing an air noise ???
Old 10-18-2002, 07:28 AM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
GOOD POINT MOMBA
Old 10-18-2002, 09:43 AM

CLK240 (W209)
Momba,

Your air noise problem maybe similar to mine. With somebody else in your car, you could be able narrow down the location of the noise. I would talk with your dealer about it

See my issue in an earlier post.

Donal
Old 10-20-2002, 12:15 AM

2005 SL65
hi all,

i may be going in the wrong direction a bit by writing about the w208s, but perhaps my comments will be helpful.

my clk430 has a ticking/clicking sound that the dealer has heard twice, but which they cannot identify. guess they just can't fix it! (i'd make a joke about sweeping the car for incendiaries, but times are such that it wouldn't go over well.)

about the first MY of any car, i can tell you that i had 2nd MY 430 and do have a 3rd MY 430. both had fairly long lists of problems (all acknowledged by maintenance), some of which were common to both cars. that means MB didn't resolve known issues through at least two w208 MYs.

about MB still being just a car, try telling that to the salespeople. they're selling far more than just a car.

i hope all your auto problems are resolved quickly.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by david_101
[B]hi all,

i may be going in the wrong direction a bit by writing about the w208s, but perhaps my comments will be helpful.

my clk430 has a ticking/clicking sound that the dealer has heard twice, but which they cannot identify. guess they just can't fix it! (i'd make a joke about sweeping the car for incendiaries, but times are such that it wouldn't go over well.)

about the first MY of any car, i can tell you that i had 2nd MY 430 and do have a 3rd MY 430. both had fairly long lists of problems (all acknowledged by maintenance), some of which were common to both cars. that means MB didn't resolve known issues through at least two w208 MYs.

about MB still being just a car, try telling that to the salespeople. they're selling far more than just a car.

What were your 208 problems?

RJC
Old 10-20-2002, 09:02 PM

2005 SL65
i can hardly remember all the w208 problems, but i'll try...

common to both were:
faulty fuel tank sensors
hunt-and-peck transmission
something else i can't recall
loose rear ash tray cover

the first also suffered from:
a faulty "porcupine" allowed the HVAC to run even with engine off
a broken trunk lock, which couldn't be opened with keyless or key
i think one headlight had a bad connection
the sunroof had to be reset a few times
i think the whole instrument cluster was replaced
there were other problems, but after two years, i can't remember them and i don't particularly care to dig out the service docs.

the second (my current) had:
a faulty COMAND fiberoptic module
a sticking HVAC temp control button (the entire head unit was replaced)
loose cupholder lid finish panel
again, there were other problems, which i don't recall right now and which i'd prefer not to relive.

i forgot to mention in my last post that my IR keyless requires a short line of sight to operate the windows and sunroof. not so for the locks and trunk, which i can control from a fairly remarkable distance. i've never used the panic button, so i can't remark about that.

enough problems popped up to sour me on the legendary, vaulted MB quality. i'm very happy to report i've never tested the equally legendary safety.

no way i'll ever again get a first-MY car. and i can't say i sense any value in the near 70k a loaded clk500 would cost. i'll let you guys break them in so i can get an idea how they're performing. i was thinking about the e500, but posters haven't been exactly glowing in some of their comments. who knows... i won't part with this car until after the warranty's out and something major goes wrong.

please keep posting your experiences...

david.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM

2003 CLK 320
Would like to know if the problems you where having are on a clk 320 or clk 500. Some of you guys that have listed problems did not say which car you owned. Let use know please. Britton

Last edited by britton; 11-12-2002 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Today's Wall Street Journal (11/12) had an article regarding quality.....this year not one Benz made the Consumer Report's recommended list (a first) and J.D. Powers Chevrolet and MB rated as equal in quality.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK320 Cabrio 2020 E 450 Wagon '92 VW
Originally posted by DSMIT
ya know there is nothing magical about mercedes benz vehicles,they too arent perfect,people just expect them to be
they are designed by humans,they are assembled by machines,both which make mistakes and are not perfect either.
get over it .
you have puirschased the safest car made.....
just be happy and accept a little inconvenience as part of the mercedes benz experience

BESIDES IT IS STILL JUST A CAR
You must work as a service adviser at my dealership or you've been through the Mercedes-Benz customer assistance training program. You've got the corporate script down pat!! I'm impressed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK Quality?!