CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Power connect and routing for new CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 500
Power connect and routing for new CLK?

I need to hook up a few electronic accessories to my new CLK and I have two questions. I know these are brand new cars so I don't expect a lot of recommendations based on actual experience, but I was hoping maybe there was some general Mercedes suggestions that may be helpful (this is our first MB).

First, I wired my radar detector in direct and found power in the fuse box to the left of the dash. But... only constant +12v, no switched power that I could find. Is there a good place inside the car to pick off a key-switched 12V?

Second, I need to wire in an electronic deer whistle that will require an on/off switch mounted under the dash (for those who don't live in deer country, this hopefully alerts the deer to your rapid arrival and has them moving the other direction when you pass. We have lots of deer in our area and collisions with cars are daily occurances, with lots of damage. I don't want to even think about my new CLK with a pair of antlers sticking out of the hood!) Anyway, where is the best place to get a wire from the engine compartment into the interior? Is there a standard pass through point for most MB? Or will I need to drill a hole somewhere?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:37 PM

'03CLK500,13 Panamera GTS,00 BOXSTER,96CARRERA CAB
Same Questions.....

Let me know too.........
Old 11-29-2002, 05:28 PM

'03CLK500,13 Panamera GTS,00 BOXSTER,96CARRERA CAB
answers

There is a plastic punch through hole in the fire wall near the engine bay fuse black that will enable access from the passeger compartment to the engine fuseblock (for key swithed 12 volt). If you drop the under dash plastic trim panel (driver side, held on to the under dash lip by three torx screws) and look up there at the "fire wall" you'll see a black plastic disc on the upper left section of the fire wall that if you pop it out or access through it will come out in the engine compartment a few inches from the fuse box. This is not easy to reach, but I used this path for some after market electronics and found a constant 12 volt and a switched (by Ignition key) 12 volt available at the fuse box. There is a ground point a few inches foreward of the fuse box.
Good luck