CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

manually lowering cabriolet rollover protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
manually lowering cabriolet rollover protection

Hi,
I'm checking this for a friend, who just got a 2005 CLK500. He hit a pothole so hard, it raised the rollover protection "headrests" in the back seat, and the manual cautions to NOT try to manually lower them (with the top up, that is), and to go to the dealer. Does anyone know how the dealer lowers them? Special tool or some other voodoo? BTW, I did try to search, but to no avail. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450
On my 2006 there is a switch on the dash with a headrest logo. If you push that button, the headrests should drop down.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by archony
On my 2006 there is a switch on the dash with a headrest logo. If you push that button, the headrests should drop down.
That button doesn't drop them if they've deployed as the result of an emergency. The impact of this bump deployed the headrests and engaged the hazard lights. The owners manual instructs you to bring to the dealer to reset them.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Mercedes CLK
Once i asked the dealer to teach me how to fix this problem my self he replied that the emergency bridge locks and i need a specific tools to unlock it besides he said it will take around 2 hours of working, i think if the process were to easy they will submitted the solution in the manual, but its really annoying.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I searched again and found this other thread HERE that has this instruction:

To reset the rear headrest, which MB calls a roll bar, press the upper half of the button and hold it for 8 seconds until you hear the mechanism engage, then press the lower half of the button to lower the headrests.

This is explained on page 51 of my operator's manual.

Sounds just crazy enough to work!

Last edited by eddieo45; 10-31-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 AM

CLK 320 2004
This solution worked for me and its very simple using a suitable tool.
http://mercedesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29336

My dealer wanted the car for a day, it took twenty seconds !
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM

CLK 320 2004
"This is a fairly straightforward reset. Each of the headrests has a springloaded latch that must be released in order to get the headrest to go back down. The latch is on the driver's side (left) (UK Right) of each headrest down in the well where the headrest nestles. You can't visually SEE the latch but it is inside a little cut away in the base of the well that is about 6mm X 12mm or 1/4" X 1/2". If you can insert the handle of another slender screwdriver between the displaced headrest and the top of the seat you can visually see where the long screwdriver needs to enter the chamber where the latch resides. You must press the tip of the screwdriver into the hole and feel the springloaded latch depress as you simultaneously press the headrest all the way back into position. You must remove the screwdriver from the latch beforereleasing the headrest or it will spring back up to its locked position. "

Last edited by alfswan; 01-21-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 PM
apb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
I have the locked roll bar with the top up. Are you saying I can reset it manually after all on a 2005 CLK?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM

CLK 320 2004
Hi apb,

I did this twice on my 2004 clk. The hardest bit is finding the latch! Once you do it one side you won't believe how quick and simple it is to fix.It is a two man job though one to push the latch down and the other to physically push the roll bar down.
The car is now sold, but will be happy to help if possible.
Alf
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
apb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
thanks! I managed to do it!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM

2012 E350 4Matic Wagon
OK, this is an old thread, but I just had this issue with my '04 500 cabriolet yesterday. Scared the crap out of me when I hit some railroad tracks. Very loud noise when it happens, and the 4-way flashers come on and the car tries to make an SOS phone call. I read the threads here and gave it a try today. First I used a metal ruler - don't bother trying that. Next I used an old fondue fork, and that worked for me. The latches you have to depress are (facing the back seat) on the right side for both headrests. When the headrests are in the up position there is a small thread visible on the headrests that lets you know where to push down (right in the middle, front to back). I got the passenger side by luck very quickly. I was by myself, by the way, so you don't need two people. On the drivers side I used a flashlight to see the spot that needs to be depressed. Once I saw it it was easy to find. Once depressed with my right hand, I used my left to push down the headrest, which does not go down easy. On the first try I released the button too early, and the headrest popped back up. I got it on the second try. Once the hedrests are back down, the convertible top can be lowered. Hope that helps somebody. If I get around to it I'll post some pictures.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM

CLK500
Question Reset Roll Bars now there's a noise rear driver side?

Originally Posted by alfswan
"This is a fairly straightforward reset. Each of the headrests has a springloaded latch that must be released in order to get the headrest to go back down. The latch is on the driver's side (left) (UK Right) of each headrest down in the well where the headrest nestles. You can't visually SEE the latch but it is inside a little cut away in the base of the well that is about 6mm X 12mm or 1/4" X 1/2". If you can insert the handle of another slender screwdriver between the displaced headrest and the top of the seat you can visually see where the long screwdriver needs to enter the chamber where the latch resides. You must press the tip of the screwdriver into the hole and feel the springloaded latch depress as you simultaneously press the headrest all the way back into position. You must remove the screwdriver from the latch beforereleasing the headrest or it will spring back up to its locked position. "
Sooo... I was backing out of my driveway and as I hit the street, which wasn't very hard at all and was going maybe 5km/h, the emergency roll bars activated for the first time. Using the above method worked perfectly. With a flashlight, a mirror and a tool it was fixed in about 10 minutes!!

BUT...I took it for a test drive to make sure everything was ok.... and now there is a "noise" coming from the rear driver's side, sounds like it's coming from the rear tire area, it makes a single "clanging" sound only sometimes when I turn or hit small bumps in the road... Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Last edited by RexdaleBenz; 02-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

2003 clk 320 cab. 2007 S550
Smile Lowering 2003 CLK roll bar

I ran over a parking lot speed bump and my roll bar extended automatically.
Could not find anything in my manual, but the forum saved me again.
As advertised, I held the up button for 8 seconds and re-engaged the system, then I lowered the roll bar by pressing the down side of the button.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM

2003 clk 320 cab. 2007 S550
Thanks edieo45, it worked just as you said
Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
FYI, a MY203 CLK Cabriolet is a W208. It has buttons to raise and lower the rear head restraints. The W209 only has the lower button - the rear head restraints are raised manually. If they "deploy" as roll bars, the W209's have to be lowered manually with the tool.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 AM

2006 CLK 350
I have read all of these posts on manually lowering the rear headrests and I can't find the spot where I need to push down so that I can reset the head rests so that the top will operate again. I hit a pothole, head rests popped up, roll bar engaged. hazard lights came on, what a mess. Now the top won't go down and the headrests are blocking my vision in the rear window. There is no reset button on the dash. My car is a 2006 CLK 350. I would really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by benz girl
I have read all of these posts on manually lowering the rear headrests and I can't find the spot where I need to push down so that I can reset the head rests so that the top will operate again. I hit a pothole, head rests popped up, roll bar engaged. hazard lights came on, what a mess. Now the top won't go down and the headrests are blocking my vision in the rear window. There is no reset button on the dash. My car is a 2006 CLK 350. I would really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 AM

2006 CLK 350
Thank you so much SilverCLK for the video. I wasn't even pushing around in the right place. I will let you know how I make out as soon as I get a chance to try it. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you so much SilverCLK for the video. I wasn't even pushing around in the right place. I will let you know how I make out as soon as I get a chance to try it. Thanks again.
I have only done it once, so I am far from an expert, but here are a few pointers:

- The headrest have about 3 stitched to mark the location of the switch
- you cannot use something with a big handle - you have to go straight down and a big handle will force an angle and you cannot reach the switch
- you need to keep the switch engaged while pushing down the headrest and then release when the headrest is in place. The switch does not require a lot of force, so this should not be a problem
-if your car is a lighter color or with a flashlight you can actually see the hole if you push a little back
- the tool has to fit about 1/4" x 1/8" or even less (have not measured)
- Keep the tool in the trunk of your car - i probably spent more time on finding the right tool than actually reset the headrest

Good luck
Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 AM

2006 CLK 350
Hi SilverCLK !! Thank you so much for the additional detailed information. I have not had a chance to try yet since it is dark when I get home from work. Hope to try this weekend. Would a metal coat hanger work? Sounds small enough. I am under the impression that once I have lowered the headrests that my top will operate again. Do you know if that is true? I am missing a lot of lovely top down days!! Thanks again!! : )
Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 AM

Hi SilverCLK !! Thank you so much for the additional detailed information. I have not had a chance to try yet since it is dark when I get home from work. Hope to try this weekend. Would a metal coat hanger work? Sounds small enough. I am under the impression that once I have lowered the headrests that my top will operate again. Do you know if that is true? I am missing a lot of lovely top down days!! Thanks again!! : )
A metal coat hanger may work - absolutely small enough, but it may bent - only one why to figure out.

All you need is to reset the headrest and your top should operate as before.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 AM

2006 CLK 350
Well, I tried to do it today. I found the right spot with the help of your video and explanation. When I am holding the switch down I am unable to push the headrest down with only one hand. They are really tough! I did get it about half way and couldn't go any farther. I will need to get someone to help me. It would be a lot easier if the top would have been down instead of up! There is no room to work and I need 3 hands. Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:35 PM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
Well, I tried to do it today. I found the right spot with the help of your video and explanation. When I am holding the switch down I am unable to push the headrest down with only one hand. They are really tough! I did get it about half way and couldn't go any farther. I will need to get someone to help me. It would be a lot easier if the top would have been down instead of up! There is no room to work and I need 3 hands. Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it turns out.

Your RIGHT ! Its very hard had to get a second person for me.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 AM

2006 CLK 350
Well I have great news!! I was able to recruit someone to push the headrests down while I pressed on the switch. They were easily shoved back into their proper position and I was delighted that when I pressed the button to put my top down, it worked!! I am so happy. : ) Thank you so much for all of your help, video and detailed instructions. I could not have done it without you. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 PM

2006 CLK Convertible
It worked well for me

Thanks very much for your video. I bought my car and the top never pulled up. I have been very worried about it cause I know MB would charge pretty much for an easy fix like this one. After watching your video, it didn't take me up to 3 minutes to get the head rests to their position. Now my top can roll down just like it was meant to.
Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: manually lowering cabriolet rollover protection