CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

interior rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 745i
interior rattle

i have my car for a month now, and as temp's are droping here in chicago my car seems to have more and more cabin rattle!!!!
driver seat seems to start to move 1/2 of an inch only when its pushed all the way back...

do all clk have interior rattle...

i hear everything between 1700-2000 rpms and low gears, with slow traffic i am going insane. my wife doesnt want to hear it anymore... but i really dont know what to do

its a MB certified car, they cant find anything wrong, "THE SOUND CAN NOT BE DUPLICATED AT THE TIME" engine suspention and trans works like a dream...

help
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 CLS 550 4matic
How many miles? What do you mean by the seat moving?
Sometimes rattles/ noises are caused by the stupidest things, like loose hidden change, key chans giggling, etc. What does it sound like? I had a new M3 and went crazy over a high pitched noise, when I went over bumps. Sounded like it was coming from the center dash. I took the BMW tech out w/ me for a ride so I could duplicate the situation and he found that it was coming from the rear seat belt latch. If you cant find the issue yourself, like change, etc. then take a tech for a ride.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 PM

2004 CLK500
My car came out of the shop on Saturday and the SA is not sure what it is either. I think I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. It happens at totally random times. Sometimes it happens in the morning, or on the freeway. My car went into the shop to get new rotors/pads, and alignment was redone so that kind of rules out that as a possibility.

The SA says that my wheels are warped. For some reason I'm not totally convinced about that as it's not on a consistant basis. But what I do need to get replaced on my car is the 'Torque Strut Bushings' and according to the SA that could be it. Again he's just throwing things out there.

Can anyone out there help us out??
Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 745i
I have 20k milles

it sounds like a rattle sneak or metalic version of exposed electric vire...

i am proud TYPE A person, never have any loose coins or anything around the car, only things that travel with me are my coat and brief case. Never the less the sound is present even in absence of my coat in the rear... and there are absoluttley no random subjects at my rear seats or loose around the car, i do have amp-and subwoofer in the back that have cosmetic metal grill, and to prevent any bumping and demadge its very rare i have anything in the trunk, if i do its always in a bag... again the sound is present when car is absolutelly empty
I could swear that it comes from the back, but lattley I am assuming it is from the back (front of) glove depertmnt...
it is very very random sound and car has no other unindetified sound i do have racing exhaust and it is very very loud, yet at slow speed at humms deep and low enough that i olnly hear that rattle...

it could be plastic panel that vibrates at rews? but it sounds so un merceds alike at 20k miles
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM

03 CLK320
my seatbelt presenter rattles from time to time and it drives me nuts, maybe thats it, maybe even the useless sunshade in the back. i hate that thing, as soon as the bass gets cranked up i have to put it up or i'll go insane.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 745i
ill try the shade. first thing in the morning
thank you
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by foza1332
I have 20k milles

it sounds like a rattle sneak or metalic version of exposed electric vire...

i am proud TYPE A person, never have any loose coins or anything around the car, only things that travel with me are my coat and brief case. Never the less the sound is present even in absence of my coat in the rear... and there are absoluttley no random subjects at my rear seats or loose around the car, i do have amp-and subwoofer in the back that have cosmetic metal grill, and to prevent any bumping and demadge its very rare i have anything in the trunk, if i do its always in a bag... again the sound is present when car is absolutelly empty
I could swear that it comes from the back, but lattley I am assuming it is from the back (front of) glove depertmnt...
it is very very random sound and car has no other unindetified sound i do have racing exhaust and it is very very loud, yet at slow speed at humms deep and low enough that i olnly hear that rattle...

it could be plastic panel that vibrates at rews? but it sounds so un merceds alike at 20k miles

LOL, I am type A also. Where the noise is coming from can be very deceiving. W/ my new M3, I was convinced it was center dash and it was the rear seatbelt. The fact that you did aftermarket work on the car, could be the culprit. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 745i
That afetr market work is the problem.... I bought it with the after market parts installed, and the weather was not as frigid, now since I am in artic conditions I am isolated in my car and even hear the ice on my trunk rattling from the bass...
Previous owner had purchased the best of the best audio, but it really looks as he installed it himself or made a project out of it.

THE SCREEN WORKED!!!!

but there is still other rattling noice in the cabin- I cant even mention this to my immidiate familly anymore they all think i am crazy, and im strongly advised to buy a lexus and get over myself
as soon as Chicago reaches over 32F ill rip my trunk apart...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Does it have a sunroof?
The long plastic piece, which runs along the front of my sunroof is slightly loose and rattles. It took me a while to find the source.Sounds like it's coming from all over.....
Check that.........
Hoe you find it.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 745i
it does have a sunroof, what have you done to fix it?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Astra SRi - drive other mb's
Unhappy Most annoying rattle ever!!!

My UK '03 CLK270 CDi (elegance) has 2 mahusive rattles, both in the drivers side and passengers side door trim, where the airbag is. It sounds like glass rattling. Ive asked my mechanic dude wat needs doing to sort them, but nothings been doen yet. If you push the panel 'inwards' it stops- does any1 else have/ had this prob. and if so wat did u do 2 fix it b4 i pay my guy to do it???!
Otherwise she's silent>!!

MorrisMan'91
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 PM

2004 CLK500
Hey foza, any updates on this? Just wondering if you were able to figure it out
Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by foza1332
it does have a sunroof, what have you done to fix it?
Foza,
I actually haven't done anything to fix it yet. It was so difficult to figure out that the noise (rattle) was coming from there.....drove me crazy for a while.
It does it on and off, definitely not all the time.
If I try to tap it with my finger, it will not make the rattle noise. There is just not that much play between the plastic piece and the frame of the sunroof.

Maybe to the dealer if you're under warranty?