CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Nav for my '04 CLK 320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK 320
Smile Nav for my '04 CLK 320

Hey guys! I'm a new CLK owner (2004 CLK 320, Pewter on Charcoal), and I love it! I really want to get a nav system, and am wondering if there is a good solution to replace the command audio/phone system and blank space underneath with an all-in-one unit. The system I have is Bose as well.

My state (WA) also just passed a law about using the phone in the car, so it should have bluetooth also. I'd love to get the OEM command nav system but I don't know where to find it. I am new to this sort of thing (I've never had a car that I've upgraded/added anything to before).

Also, for future reference, how do I find out what my "WXX" model number is?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Daniel
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM

2003 CLK500
I had the same idea, but after having a long talk with an MBRA tech, and my buddy at the MB Parts Dept., the recommend getting a Garmin if you want NAV. Besides the cost of a NAV System, I guess there are a mess of things you need to buy to install it.

If you really want one, you can find 'em on eBay on occassion.

As for me, I'm probably going to get an aftermarket (Alpine, Dennon) CD/NAV player.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
You can get the factory MB nav for your car but it's an old, outdated CD-based system with limited functionality (no bluetooth). If you're interested anyway, lookup posts from Steve (MBenzNL). He can get all sorts of factory MB accessories.

The newer (2005+) DVD-based MB navs do not work in this car due to the completely redesigned electrical interfaces.

The easiest way to get what you want is to purchase a garmin or similar portable nav as the above poster suggested. If you want the built-in look, it can be done with an aftermarket double-din unit but it's a good bit of work to integrate it in with the car.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK500
bump this!

Please explain.....I mean can you just remove the stock stereo and slap in a double din? I know you would need a face plate and would probably lose the steering wheel controls but does it matter for the speakers (bose) or is it just plug n play? I am also looking into the aftermarket nav because of the complications with putting in a euro unit in a non stock nav car!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by musicmaker1586
Please explain.....I mean can you just remove the stock stereo and slap in a double din? I know you would need a face plate and would probably lose the steering wheel controls but does it matter for the speakers (bose) or is it just plug n play? I am also looking into the aftermarket nav because of the complications with putting in a euro unit in a non stock nav car!
Putting a Euro unit into a stock non-nav car isn't that difficult. Steve (MBenzNL) provides everything you need. He did it to an '03 CLK 500 that I had a few years ago. But again, by today's standards, you end up with an out-dated, CD-based unit without any bells and whistles (bluetooth, mp3, etc.)

Adding an aftermarket unit probably requires that you run new wires to each of the speakers, bypassing the MB wiring and Bose Amps. I don't know of anyone that makes a plug and play harness. Maybe there is one somewhere but I haven't seen it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by Eich
You can get the factory MB nav for your car but it's an old, outdated CD-based system with limited functionality (no bluetooth). If you're interested anyway, lookup posts from Steve (MBenzNL). He can get all sorts of factory MB accessories.

This is not true, you can add bluetooth to the CD based Comands. The integration of this unit with all the cars components cannot be touched by any aftermarket navigation unit out there.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Sold - CLK500
mercedes of walnut creek will supply and install for $3000. In my mind thats very pricey when you think that to add bluetooth its an additional 3k.. i just went and bought the latest tom tom... Yeh it may be a hassle to remove when not being used... but i can live with that.. also the navigation is better on this portable device compared to the dvd based mercedes units.

I even considered after market, but i found out the steering wheel controls won't work. I use them all the time so decided to just keep it simple.

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK500
Ok so in conclusion there is no aftermarket nav and/or stereo that can be installed in our cars with running all new wiring to bypass the bose system???
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by husk323
This is not true, you can add bluetooth to the CD based Comands. The integration of this unit with all the cars components cannot be touched by any aftermarket navigation unit out there.
Yes - I stand corrected on bluetooth. There is an option (expensive) for this with the CD-based command.

And integration with the dash and steering wheel controls is unmatched for sure. It's nice to see the directions come up on the speedometer-located display.

But aftermarket navs have a lot of other functionality that the CD-based nav's don't: Much better looking nav screen, ability to play DVD, mp3 and integrate with and control ipods, etc.. And you don't have to load different CD's when you leave the state.

If you're willing to do the wiring yourself, aftermarket is a lot cheaper than installing a factory nav. We have a Pioneer AVIC D3 in our other car and it's packed with functionality. It's not the best nav on the market but it does an awful lot for it's $600 price tag.

Pros and cons either way.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK500
If you were to install an after market double din unit then you would have to run the wires to speakers individually.....ok do they even make a face plate for one of those units or a regular flip out or would it be a custom fab thing?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM

CLK 500
I noticed on my 03 CLK500, it has the pick/hang up buttons on the steering wheel. I have the tape deck with the cd changer in the glove box.

Am I understanding that I'm gonna need to get a $3k NOS oem nav deck to be able to use the bluetooth functionality?

:-(

Did they even make tapes in '03? WTF was MB thinking?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by justuspost
I noticed on my 03 CLK500, it has the pick/hang up buttons on the steering wheel. I have the tape deck with the cd changer in the glove box.

Am I understanding that I'm gonna need to get a $3k NOS oem nav deck to be able to use the bluetooth functionality?

There are still cars TODAY that come with cassette tape players. Why, I don't know.

It does get pretty expensive to get factory bluetooth functionality in this car. I don't know if it can be done without the command nav head unit.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by justuspost

No you can get the bluetooth puck with pse or go with the argos, check the Phone Guide sticky. If you want to add Bluetooth to your headunit the price tag will be under 1k.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 AM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by Eich
Yes - I stand corrected on bluetooth. There is an option (expensive) for this with the CD-based command.

And integration with the dash and steering wheel controls is unmatched for sure. It's nice to see the directions come up on the speedometer-located display.

But aftermarket navs have a lot of other functionality that the CD-based nav's don't: Much better looking nav screen, ability to play DVD, mp3 and integrate with and control ipods, etc.. And you don't have to load different CD's when you leave the state.

Pros and cons either way.
I can play MP3's, DVD's with my head unit.....You can get a DVD player that is Comand Controllable...I have this in my vehicle and I can play mp3 cd's and play dvd's on my Comand unit. I can utilize my steering wheel controls while playing both these types of media....The Ipod thing is also possible but I have sat radio.

With regards to changing CD's that is a pain if you travel a lot but for me its not an issue because I rarely drive out of state, and if I do Its pretty easy to press eject and insert the applicable CD. You might be surprised about the amount of capability of these old cd based Comands.

Its really amazing how ahead of the times this unit is. Its over 8 years old and still has a lot of the capability of the newer units out there.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:29 AM

CLK 320
Is this more work than its worth, for example, rewire speakers, panel removal, rear camera inst etc . . .