CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Touchless car washes and window trim discoloration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Touchless car washes and window trim discoloration

has any one noticed how their window trim looks after an automated touchless carwash. Not sure if its just the brand/company (Esso) that I use but each and everytime I find that these automated washed end up leaving a film on my window trim (a dark black chrome-like finish to begin with) which ends up looking somewhat like an oil slick - thankfully this discoloration rubs out with some effort but in my opinion this just defeats the whole point getting a supposedly effort-free car wash.

I've read some posts in the pasts where owners have posted issues with oxidization/discoloration on their wheels after a car wash, not sure if this related or not.

Just curious to know if anyone has had the same experience and if there any chemicals/products we should be avoiding.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Someone made a comment that to be effective, those car washes use very strong chemicals. I used to use them too, and I have a similar discoloration (purple) of my black trim but I don't know if the two are related. I have used both a cleaner wax and a metal polish but they are only a temporary fix.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM

2003 CLK500
well, that explains it!

Should I use a Sharpie?

Can the trim be replaced, or would I have to replace the whole window?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 PM

CLK500
well in my case the discoloration is not permanent. So with some elbow grease i'm able to effectively rub off the discoloration.

So now I either have to find a brand of automated car washes without these ill effects or avoid them completely.

if your trim is permanently damaged i suppose you could try and get it replaced under warranty - otherwise i would recommend what Musikmann suggested above, that is to use some detailing products to at least temporarily camoflauge the discolorations.