CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

The Black Series wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
The Black Series wheels

Has anyone ever tried to fit CLK63 AMG Black Series wheels to the stock CLK W209? I'm wondering are they compatible. Anyone please help me. I'm about to order the BC wheels for my stock W209 but did not want to waste big dollars for nothing. BS sizes are 19x8.5 offset 25 front and 19x9.5 offset 31
cheers,
Ron
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 AM

W209
sorry, front wheels are 9" not 8.5"
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 AM

06 clk350
I don't know the answer to your question, but THANK GOD you posted offsets. I've seen people post this type of question way too many times and not put the offset, and its impossible to answer without that information. Props, and good luck finding your answer.

if you post the most agressive wheels you know of on a clk, I can help you do some calculations on if these wheels will fit. (aka if you find something more agressive, than these will fit).

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

that should help a lot. Also, backspacing is key. If the tires are the same diameter, and the backspacing is the same, then they shouldn't rub. (assuming similarly agressive tires for that width wheel. So an 8 inch wheel with 235mm tires matches to a 9 inch wheel with 255mm tires)

for example: try some mitsubishi evo 8 wheels on the front (the enkei and bbs's are the same size) if you can access them readily. They are similarly aggressive assuming a 255/30/19 tire is used on the black series wheels. The backspacing is the same, and the diameter is larger on the evo wheels. Find a high offset car and try its wheels, thats an easy way to tell you if you'll have room inside. (I say high offset because you aren't likely to find 9 inch wide wheels for cheap, skinnier wheels with a higher offset will have the same backspacing.)

Last edited by tstkl; 12-29-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM

W209
Originally Posted by tstkl
I don't know the answer to your question, but THANK GOD you posted offsets. I've seen people post this type of question way too many times and not put the offset, and its impossible to answer without that information. Props, and good luck finding your answer.

if you post the most agressive wheels you know of on a clk, I can help you do some calculations on if these wheels will fit. (aka if you find something more agressive, than these will fit).

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

that should help a lot. Also, backspacing is key. If the tires are the same diameter, and the backspacing is the same, then they shouldn't rub. (assuming similarly agressive tires for that width wheel. So an 8 inch wheel with 235mm tires matches to a 9 inch wheel with 255mm tires)

for example: try some mitsubishi evo 8 wheels on the front (the enkei and bbs's are the same size) if you can access them readily. They are similarly aggressive assuming a 255/30/19 tire is used on the black series wheels. The backspacing is the same, and the diameter is larger on the evo wheels. Find a high offset car and try its wheels, thats an easy way to tell you if you'll have room inside. (I say high offset because you aren't likely to find 9 inch wide wheels for cheap, skinnier wheels with a higher offset will have the same backspacing.)
Thanks mate, that's very useful.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
i run 19 x 8.5 up front with a 10mm spacer up front to clear my coilovers. my wheels are 34 offset. it will be close but i think they will fit. the rears will not be a problem. i am running 19 x 9.5 with a 15 mm spacer. the backspacing will not be an issue because those wheels are designed to clear AMG brakes both front and back.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 PM

06 clk350
Uhhhh,... backspacing has nothing to do with brake clearence, that is all spoke design and the brake rotor offset. For that you look at the depth of the rotor, width of the caliper, and the area under the curve of the spoke on the inside of the wheel with respect to the mounting face of the wheel. Its 1000 times easier to just try the wheel than calculate it, but I can if anyone really needs me to.

As for your set up, both your front and your rear wheel selection leads me to believe that the black series wheels will rub. Can you run your rear wheels without those spacers? If you are using those spacers only to make the wheel flush with the bodyline of the car, then it is possible that these black series wheels will fit. The black series wheels in the rear have a backspacing of 164mm, while your specific set up has a backspacing of 152mm. So if you have more than 12mm of clearence on the inside, these wheels will fit without spacers. If you don't, then he will need spacers.

The fronts on your set up are in the same situation. Your effective backspacing is 144mm, while these black series wheels are 158mm in the front. thats 14mm more he needs on the inside, AND you have coil overs. Coil overs normally provide more room on the inside than the factory equipt suspention, as most coil overs use 2.5" ID springs, while factory uses significantly larger.

So thanks for telling us 144mm front and 152mm rear backspacing will fit. Lets look for something more agressive so we know what the limit is. Obviously suspension complicates things as it can add space on the inside, but the lower fender will limit space on the outside. Camber will also effect this greatly, (also the way in which the camber is induced). Its all rather complicated, much easier to explain on a situation to situation bases.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM

W209
Easy dude, I respect to both of your comments. Happy new year.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 AM

06 clk350
Sorry if my comments were taken to be hostile. I can be overanalytical at times. Purely for the sake of argument.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
C350
thats an awesome online toool
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM

W209
Originally Posted by tstkl
Sorry if my comments were taken to be hostile. I can be overanalytical at times. Purely for the sake of argument.
totall understanable Well, I had a sizing from one of a custom wheels company, they gave me 20x8.5 ET30 front and 20x10 ET32 rear are the best fit without rub and tires 235/30/20 and 285/25/20. Do you think these combination will fit? cheers.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 AM

06 clk350
Those wheels would be 150mm front and 171mm rear for backspacing. Most times rwd cars have a lot of room in the back since the rear tires don't turn. The front is really where you need to worry, although it could technically not fit in the front.

You should also consider what everyone else said in the other thread about 20 inch wheels. Plus, those are some pretty low profile tires. You'll definately feel everything the road has to tll you.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM

jhgjughj
dont bother wont work