CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 02:11 AM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55

I have a bunch of decisions to make in the project, input from you guys is welcome !

I have recently purchased a 2004 CLK 55 AMG. I tried the Mercedes OEM route for my audio by purchasing two updates for the system:
Bluetooth Adapter for car kit
Updated Nav CD

In doing this I ran into two problems - one the bluetooth interface whilst rock solid in its connection to the phone doesnt interface with the phone book, and provides very basic functionality. I wanted more. I use a Windows Mobile phone and it doesnt interface well to the unit.

Two - for where I live - South Africa Mercedes and Blaupunkt (who makes the CDs) stopped updating the road network maps in 2005 on CD - which means my disk is 4 years old. Johannesburg has changed alot - and many areas have become "gated communities" by shutting off roads and fencing them off - so half the time the car tells me to turn into a fence. Also the CD is missing many towns which I visit so the system has to be updated.

Lastly - for some unexplained reason - the comand head unit stopped working - all sound stopped, it tells me there is no phone plugged in, and no cd changer when there clearly is. So even though the car is still under warranty (here the warranty is 6 years long) Mercedes wants a 20% contribution which is almost 500 dollars for the equipment they say is broken (everything). They want to fit a new amp - head unit, and "control module" for the phone

So for those reasons-and because I love sound, I am overhauling the CLK's AV system.

Whats coming out:
Comand unit, Bose Amp, Bose Subwoofer
I am assuming its impossible to marry a non-factory head unit with the Bose amp given the fiber optic in.

Whats going in - Phase 1:
Head Unit
Kenwood DNX 8220BT - which I believe the US model is an 8120
Accessories
Kenwood back up camera -CCD 2000
120Gb Hard drive to be connected to USB interface
Kenwood CAW-MB1110 Stalk adaptor for Steering wheel control
Amps and Sound
Orion HCCA - 2400 Amp mono Class D amp for sub-
http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Product...?ProductID=508
Heavy Gauge Wiring kit from battery to sub amp
Hertz HBX252S - Twin Coil Subwoofer - I had it from my UK car it sounds awesome !
To be Determined 4 channel amp - havent decided it yet
To be determined 5th speaker amp/speaker kit. For fitting into the center console- probably in the grill where the top air vent is- I want to have full 5.1 in the car so I reckon its better to run the little amp and combination from the front rather than use a 5 channel amp and run the wires for the front speaker all the way back.

Decisions:
Better to run a four channel amp and a separate center channel/amp up front - or run the wires ahead and use a 5 channel amp ?
Fit a CD Changer to replace the MB one ? Or leave it digital music ?
Replace Bose Speakers in Doors ? - will need to research whether the door speakers are crossed over with inline filters - or if the Bose unit had the cross overs internally
Fit a Bass Capacitor to the Sub Amp ?
Use the rear deck space to fit full range speakers (replacing the rear door speakers which rather helpfully point at the drivers seat leather ?

Last edited by fredbaum; 02-11-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2009 | 02:38 AM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
Location of Factory Audio Equipment

The Bose Amp in my CLK55 is located in the right rear trunk area just by the rear tail light (US passenger side - UK Drivers side) - you have to remove the internal paneling

picture 1 - location of Bose amp area with amp removed - you can clearly see the wiring harness for the amp - with the fiber inputs
picture 2 - of the electronics area behind seats
picture 3 - of a mysterious fiber optic output, and unknown cable- I am thinking maybe these would be part of a TV tuner unit ? My car does not have tuner fitted.
picture 2 - of starting state before new head unit

The mobile phone control unit is under neath the tire bay cover immediately behind the rear seats. You have to remove a plastic cover by unseating the two loading hooks which have Torx screws - I may try to fit the cross overs in this area if I replace the door speakers, or the wiring center. I will run a big gauge wire to a junction box- and then distribute power to the amps, from here. I wont need the unit as the head unit has blue tooth built in.
Attached Thumbnails Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55-boselocation.jpg   Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55-telephone-module.jpg   Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55-fiber-wiring-loom-unknown.jpg   Sound Upgrade Project - CLK55-starting-head-unit.jpg  

Last edited by fredbaum; 02-11-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2009 | 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Hey Fred, I'm working on a similar project and your photos are coming in handy. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. When I start, I'll make sure to post my lessons learned on this forum. Share the knowledge.....
Old 02-13-2009 | 06:49 PM

04 CLK 320, 04 BMW 530I, and 09 HD FLTR
I think that I want to do the same thing. I'm ready to get my sounds together for the CLK. When you remove the head unit, do you know if it will show as a malfunction?
Old 02-14-2009 | 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JuicedMB
I think that I want to do the same thing. I'm ready to get my sounds together for the CLK. When you remove the head unit, do you know if it will show as a malfunction?
It will not show as a malfunction, but you won't be able to change tracks or volume from the steering wheel/Dash display. When you scroll to the radio menu, you'll just see a blank screen, no big deal.......
Old 03-17-2009 | 04:48 PM

04 CLK 500
fredbaum, how's the project coming? The pictures and the information are very help.

I was wondering how you will handle the bezel around the Kenwood? It is double dinn so the bottom should look tight, but the top of the command unit flares out. The reason I ask, is that I am working on a similar project but building my one carpc and going to use a double dinn touch screen. Also, what did you decide to do about an amp?
Old 03-17-2009 | 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cbrdash
fredbaum, how's the project coming? The pictures and the information are very help.

I was wondering how you will handle the bezel around the Kenwood? It is double dinn so the bottom should look tight, but the top of the command unit flares out. The reason I ask, is that I am working on a similar project but building my one carpc and going to use a double dinn touch screen. Also, what did you decide to do about an amp?
He already done, he has already posted in the CLK55 forums. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...av-system.html

I'm going to do my own radio install and plan on posting pics when I finish.