CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Coilovers for a CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Coilovers for a CLK

What is the best coilovers i can get for the CLK? By best i want something that is purly for daily Driving. My car will NEVER see the track....i just wanna go as low as i can yet have a comfy ride/a UN-bouncy ride. I had Tein C/S (comfort sports) for my Z and i loved it, anything close to that? Also what is the pricing? thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
i've also been looking for coilovers for my CLK and have seen that KW and Ksport make some. if i do buy some i may look into the Bilstein PSS9's.

i have Tein Flex's on my 240 and i love the feel of them for daily driving. if they were made for the CLK i'd get those.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 AM

2005 CLK500
KW makes one of the best quality suspension systems, in my opinion. used them a couple times on different cars.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM

CLK 320
Some guy is offering my H&R coilovers for $780. What are your thoughts on these coilovers? Good deal or should I just buy a brand new set of another brand?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM

2005 CLK500
$780 for H&R isnt bad. just depends on the spring rates, how used they are, etc. sometimes you'll buy them and install em come to find out theyve got issues. blown struts, etc.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM

2005 CLK500
make sure they're not leaking also.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
i paid a $1000 for my KW V1 coils.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM

CLK 320
What is the range in the drop you can get with the KW coilovers?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
i am dropped a little over 2inches. i have less than a one finger gap from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well. i believe tucked is the term
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM

CLK 320
Yeah... I'm liking the tucked look. I'm also thinking it's probably worth the piece of mind to pay the extra 200 for a new set of KW. I'm assuming they come with a warranty also.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by astropat
Yeah... I'm liking the tucked look. I'm also thinking it's probably worth the piece of mind to pay the extra 200 for a new set of KW. I'm assuming they come with a warranty also.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You will need to used spacers if you want the tuck look with KW. I used to have KW stages 2 coilover and I have wheel rubbing problems in the front with my 19x8 with ET-35 and 235-35 tires. The set-up were only haft way dropped about 1.5 finger gap when I ran into the tires rubbing against the springs itself. I found out that alot of the C-clas and Clk class has this problems with KW. I e-mail KW regarding the problems and they told me that it my wheel and have nothing to do with their kit. I told them that I didn't have rubbing problems with my aftermarket 19" wheel until I changed out my suspension. They responsed back and said that they tested out with factory wheel with with no problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by Klinh
You will need to used spacers if you want the tuck look with KW. I used to have KW stages 2 coilover and I have wheel rubbing problems in the front with my 19x8 with ET-35 and 235-35 tires. The set-up were only haft way dropped about 1.5 finger gap when I ran into the tires rubbing against the springs itself. I found out that alot of the C-clas and Clk class has this problems with KW. I e-mail KW regarding the problems and they told me that it my wheel and have nothing to do with their kit. I told them that I didn't have rubbing problems with my aftermarket 19" wheel until I changed out my suspension. They responsed back and said that they tested out with factory wheel with with no problem.
I'm not sure what you mean by needing to use spacer? What seems to be the problem with your wheels? is the off-set too lil? And by spacers do you mean to flush out the wheels? becuase if you need spacers to push out the wheels then you couldn't get the tucked look...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
I'm not sure what you mean by needing to use spacer? What seems to be the problem with your wheels? is the off-set too lil? And by spacers do you mean to flush out the wheels? becuase if you need spacers to push out the wheels then you couldn't get the tucked look...

Let me try to explained it to you once more times. Since we're talking about tuck in look. I weren't able to do the tuck in look with my car 19x8 w' ET35 and 235-35 tires. Before I changed my suspension to KW II coilover, i have no rubbing problems with the same 19" wheels. Then when we changed my suspension to KW II coilover, we were able only drop the car haft way (that's about 1.5 finger fender gap) before my tires starting to run against the springs. For us to drop the car any farther to get the tuck in look, we would have to used the spacers to push the wheel/tire out toward the fender so the the tires won't rug against the spring. My wheel, tire size and offset is pretty normal for 19" but KW blamed my wheel instead of their kit for the rubbing problems.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
So what do u have now Klinh? H&R springs and biltein shocks right ?? I just took my car out of the shop this afternoon and I was not happy with the result because the rear seems lower than the front which I already know from our members experience. What do u say if I take the front out and cut like a coil to get even with the rear ? I have Eibach Pro. Kit or should I just give it some times to let those springs settle ???

Andy
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
So what do u have now Klinh? H&R springs and biltein shocks right ?? I just took my car out of the shop this afternoon and I was not happy with the result because the rear seems lower than the front which I already know from our members experience. What do u say if I take the front out and cut like a coil to get even with the rear ? I have Eibach Pro. Kit or should I just give it some times to let those springs settle ???

Andy

I have Eibach spring and Bilstein "sport" shock. If you are happy with the front then just use pad to even out the fender gap. Before you cut the spring why not just wait about about 1k miles for it to fully settle (mine did lower a bit after it settle). As for cutting the spring, I did that also on my stock spring (because I was waited for my spring and shock) but it didn't work out to well for me with stock shock. The stock shock damper was fine but the re-bound was terrible when I ran over pothole like those rice racer bouncing off the road. But then this is the stock spring that I talking about. I heard from other people cut their Eibach and it work just fine.

Last edited by Klinh; 04-10-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by Klinh
I have Eibach spring and Bilstein "sport" shock. If you are happy with the front then just use pad to even out the fender gap. Before you cut the spring why not just wait about about 1k miles for it to fully settle (mine did lower a bit after it settle). As for cutting the spring, I did that also on my stock spring (because I was waited for my spring and shock) but it didn't work out to well for me with stock shock. The stock shock damper was fine but the re-bound was terrible when I ran over pothole like those rice racer bouncing off the road. But then this is the stock spring that I talking about. I heard from other people cut their Eibach and it work just fine.
Thats what im thinking too give it some more times to let those springs settle...but is it right u have to wait 1K miles ? fck i cant wait that long lol. I dont know but I looked at the car this morning and for some reason it looks good now hahaah..anyway we'll see how it goes.

Andy
Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM

CLK 320
Will I run into the same problem when I run 18" wheels? I have a set of Carlsson Evo's on the way from my brother. I guess I'll just have to do a fit test before I finalize anything.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM

your wheels were rubbing on the coilover up front. you will need about a 7-10mm spacer up front to clear the spring perch on the KW coilovers. the stock CLK suspension is a little less bulky than the KW coilover up front. i was running spacers front and rear anyway for the perfect stance so it was not a big deal for me. it is not uncommon to have to make some adjustments when running aftermarket suspension.

a fit test is always a good idea. as you know there are a lot of factors involved: wheel size, wheel width, offset, tire width, etc.

i am running a +34 offset, an eight inch wide wheel, and a 10mm spacer.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM

never, ever cut a coil spring. it is dangerous as it destroys the overall integrity of the spring. play with various spring pad sizes to even out the look.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM

clk55
Can your car be lowered by just switching spring pads?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by lychyrychy
Can your car be lowered by just switching spring pads?
no that much...
Old 04-10-2009, 02:41 PM

clk55
no that much...
Is your ride significantly stiffer lowered?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Is your ride significantly stiffer lowered?
I dont know what kind of suspension u had but I lowered mine with Eibach Pro kit and no its not dat low but Im happy with it ....I just have to wait the front settle so they can be even looking because right now the rear looks lower than the front (not dat much) lol but if u look close enough then u can see it.

Andy
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM

clk55
I dont know what kind of suspension u had but I lowered mine with Eibach Pro kit and no its not dat low but Im happy with it ....I just have to wait the front settle so they can be even looking because right now the rear looks lower than the front (not dat much) lol but if u look close enough then u can see it.

Andy

Ahh I see.. what about the ride quality?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Ahh I see.. what about the ride quality?
even better than stock I have no clue why lolz and no I havent replace those shocks yet Im using the stock one with those Eibach Pro kit right now . I will replace those soon but not just right now cause I only drive like 2 days in a week (weekend only ) .

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coilovers for a CLK