CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering loose problem - seen on C-class too!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Steering loose problem - seen on C-class too!

I was trolling the forums, and I found this post from the C-class forums about steering, and it sound just like me!

>>so i have this problem that after many times to the dealer, will not go away. The problem feels like very loose steering, specifically at speeds over 65 mph and whenever the car hits a bump. When the car goes over a bump or hump in the road, at any speed, the steering wheel is jerked to the side of the leading wheel. At higher speeds or when cornering, any small undulation throws the steering off dramatically and can get a bit scary. Also, there seems to be significant play in the wheel while traveling straight to the point where i can turn the wheel from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock without turning the car much at all as well as the car feels like it is wandering in the lane. I have brought to dealer for several months and have had my front shock replaced, lower control arms, front sway bar and bushings, motor mounts and some bushings (not sure which ones). I have also swapped tires, rims, brakes and have had alignments done at 2 separate benz dealerships and independent alignment shops. I have also tried adjusting tire pressures and using the nitrogen fill for the tires. I dont know what could be the problem but i just want it fixed. Anyone have similar problems or could suggest some potentials? Could it be steering rack or maybe a failing speed sensitive steering solenoid? any suggestions would be great so i can take the car back to the dealer and direct them to fixing this. thanks so much...cheers!

Someone recommended checking either the steering rack or the "pinion gear on the steering wheel shaft" - what's the pinion gear on the shaft? I know there's a gear in the steering rack, but what's that one?

This is exactly how my 04 CLK drives with 75K miles. "The dealership said that's just the way it goes, they get loose with age."

I would love to know if it's the steering rack and/or pump. I found this place on ebay (garo_steering_parts_international (1717)) that will rebuild your current rack for $370, and I found an indy shop that will charge 2-4 hours to swap the rack at $60/hr, so it is in the reasonable sort of price range.

Suppose I should replace the pump too? I've heard a buzzing sort of noise from it...