CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 factory HU + HVAC replace with CLK350 HU + HVAC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
I thought that if we changed the HU then we need to replace the stock amp too? isnt that right? Ok this is what I understand you change ur HU you will lost your CD Changer (stock) because there is optic cable running from the stock HU to our changer and I thought that there's another optic cable hooked it up to the stock amp from the headunit ...correct me if im wrong

Andy
Optic cable going to the CD I see, as then you use the DAC in the HU to decode the digital to analog, but unless they use a digital amp, you would only run normal analog wires to the amp. Digital amps are not very good unless you spend a few $k. In most cases on the lower end analog will be much better.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by dariusf
Optic cable going to the CD I see, as then you use the DAC in the HU to decode the digital to analog, but unless they use a digital amp, you would only run normal analog wires to the amp. Digital amps are not very good unless you spend a few $k. In most cases on the lower end analog will be much better.
whats that "DAC" ?

Andy
Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
I didnt know I had a few posts on ur theard lol. Anyway, that looks pretty good man . Where do you live ? U need to come to my house and help me out j/k. I think I have to bring it to the one of the local audio shope here. so is that true if you want to replace the headunit you have to re-wire all your speakers too ? what about the CD changer ? I bet you lost that option too huh?

btw, the installation for the amp & sub are perfect...looks neat man

Andy
Yes you do have to rewire all the speakers; the Bose amp is in the rear and the speaker wiring harness is located there. I did lose my CD changer control, but if I really wanted one, I could have replaced it with a compatible unit. I traded CD changer for iPod/iPhone integration and USB integration

You are going to love your new radio........
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whats that "DAC" ?

Andy
Digital to analog converter. The CD player reads the digital CD data and it needs to be converted to analog to feed the speakers. Typically this is done in the CD player with the CD players build in DAC or you use the CD players optical (toslink or coaxial) connection to feed the digital signal to the receiver and use its build in DAC (there are external DACs as well). There are also digital amps that work deferently then your analog (solid state or tube amp). Still the bothom line is that in a none digital amp setup the conversion has to take place somewhere.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some info on digital amps

http://www.stereophile.com/news/10312/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_amplifier
Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
ah ic ic...what have you done to your system? I wana see it lol

Andy
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
Yes you do have to rewire all the speakers; the Bose amp is in the rear and the speaker wiring harness is located there. I did lose my CD changer control, but if I really wanted one, I could have replaced it with a compatible unit. I traded CD changer for iPod/iPhone integration and USB integration

You are going to love your new radio........
oh so I was right on the optic cable that connected from the headunit to our stock amp (BOSE) ? correct ? Basically you changed ur HU you will lose your CD Changer and the stock amp ?

Andy
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ah ic ic...what have you done to your system? I wana see it lol

Andy
oh so I was right on the optic cable that connected from the headunit to our stock amp (BOSE) ? correct ? Basically you changed ur HU you will lose your CD Changer and the stock amp ?

Andy
Nothing yet, I have the same stock unit pictured in the original post. Still looking for the options. Mostly want ipod and cell phone integration. If I loose the build in CD player then I'm ok with it. More room in the glove box

Depending on how the cable connects to the stock amp, one might be able to just connect from the new head unit using digital connection if there is one available in the new head unit. Need to investigate this more. If not then just replace the amp or use one build in to the head unit if there is one there.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Got it....just came across this Double Din kit wonder if it fits ? Lets just say I will buy that Pioneer (link above) and now I need the Ipod cable & the PAC steering wheel controller.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+MZ2347.html

Andy
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

to be honest, I did not even look for the amp in my car. Only have the car for a bit over two months and its at the dealer now. Perhaps someone here can fill us in on what connection is used. I would think its a normal toslink connection but maybe using some proprietary plug to make live harder

here is the normal connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

If that's the case then using HU with toslink connector would allow to use the existing amp. Then from there there should be regular analog wires going to the speakers. I do despise Bose (expensive low end stuff) but for the sake of not spending when not needed I would keep it in the car
Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
You do not need to replace your amp or rewire your amp, forget about the amp, just rewire the speaker wires and thats it. You guys think way too much, it not that hard. Finding the wire harness to fit the mb is the hardest part.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by ZEEK
You do not need to replace your amp or rewire your amp, forget about the amp, just rewire the speaker wires and thats it. You guys think way too much, it not that hard. Finding the wire harness to fit the mb is the hardest part.
I wonder how is the amp works w/o the stock HU ? Finding the wire harness to fit Mb is actually not that hard because I remembered some our members have done the whole setup like I want it..I just have to go back and search for those threads.

Edit: here we go,

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-images-3.html post#69

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-15-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes I do think to much, why would one need to rewire the speakers? Should be normal analog cables from the amp.

Concerned more with the trim. Would be nice to keep the wood finish around the new unit.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
yes I do think to much, why would one need to rewire the speakers? Should be normal analog cables from the amp.

Concerned more with the trim. Would be nice to keep the wood finish around the new unit.
see post#16.

Andy
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

see post#16.

Andy
Yes I did see it but it does not look like a perfect fit. See the top corners sticking out on the sides? Also I have wood trim around the stock radio on the sides. Would be nice to just replace the inside opening.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Yes I did see it but it does not look like a perfect fit. See the top corners sticking out on the sides? Also I have wood trim around the stock radio on the sides. Would be nice to just replace the inside opening.
dariusf has an '03, so some of the trim goes around the radio. Try this kit for a double din install: SCOSCHE MZ2340B

For a single din: Metra 99-8710
Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
dariusf has an '03, so some of the trim goes around the radio. Try this kit for a double din install: SCOSCHE MZ2340B

For a single din: Metra 99-8710
my car and his car we have the same dash/trim but the kit you mentioned above it for C230 Coupe...is it gona fit ? what about the one I posted above ? is that one made for CLK 500 05 + up ? The link below is the kit that you mentioned,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+MZ2340.html

Andy
Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
my car and his car we have the same dash/trim but the kit you mentioned above it for C230 Coupe...is it gona fit ? what about the one I posted above ? is that one made for CLK 500 05 + up ? The link below is the kit that you mentioned,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+MZ2340.html

Andy
I'd call the shop to confirm. I used MZ2347B for mine, but despite what it says on the product description, they had to trim and shave it down to fit.

MZ2340B looks like it would fit better, but they would still need to cut out the stuff in the middle. If I recall correctly, there was a guy who used this same part and had it fitted for his car without any trouble.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by astropat
I'd call the shop to confirm. I used MZ2347B for mine, but despite what it says on the product description, they had to trim and shave it down to fit.

MZ2340B looks like it would fit better, but they would still need to cut out the stuff in the middle. If I recall correctly, there was a guy who used this same part and had it fitted for his car without any trouble.
You used MZ2347B because your is 05...its different from mine but anyway, why are they listing MZ2340B and the other without the letter B what is the different ? one for single din and the other for double din ?

Andy
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
well thats why, i went with the factory comand system in my car, because i didnt want a aftermarket unit and take away all the beauty inside. I went with the factory comand with nav and ipod cable. I didnt need anything more.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

CLK 320
If you're an electronics guy, you'll love having an aftermarket unit. Granted, this is my first in-dash multi-media/navi system... but it's the ****!

Seamless iPhone/iPod music and video integration... Parrot bluetooth makes streaming music via A2DP easy and also automatically syncs your phone's contacts/address book. The navigation works great especially while you're using the other functions of the system. And personally, I think my pictures don't do the system justice since I didn't take them straight on, but I think it makes the interior look a lot more sleek and modern... again, that's just me.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
well thats why, i went with the factory comand system in my car, because i didnt want a aftermarket unit and take away all the beauty inside. I went with the factory comand with nav and ipod cable. I didnt need anything more.
Any pics of your ? would love to see it

Andy
Old 03-28-2010, 03:12 PM

CLK 500
Hey any chance I can get this simplified for a simple guy like me?

Background: I have a 2006 CLK500 with the simple radio in it right now - no big screen or nav, 6 cd changer in the glove and no Aux jack at all. I want to get a HU with - Nav, BT and XM, optional iPod support would be nice but if there is a usb connector on the front would be good enough.

Question:

1. Which HUs have all this that would fit in the CLK that you guys would recomend (my installation guys are recommending DNX6960)?
2. What are all the other parts that i need to buy to get this done? and how much about would they cost?
3. About how much should an install cost (labor)

I would just like to have the info to keep my installation guys honest.

Sorry but there are people saying i need a new amp (installation guys) which will cost $500 plus installation. Than i read hear that it isn't needed. all this is confusing and my installation guys are having a really hard time finding a dash kit (double din).

let me know if you can help so that i can help the installation guys out and get this done... Thanks!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...o-upgrade.html

Search around there's more. I have seen alot thread about this matter.

Andy
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
im not sure about the 06 CLKs with the updated stereo. but i have an 03. i use an avic z-110bt. great unit has BT, ipod, nav connectivity. i have the option for a rear camera and didnt opt for it. XM and all other sat radio too. its a bit pricey but the new z120bt is coming out. its pretty pricey tho.

do you have a price range for the HU?
i mean its all about the options. with a new HU, options are somewhat endless. you dont need a new amp if you are using your old speakers from what i remember when doing my research last year. HOWEVER, i would recommend getting new speakers which means new amp. and to be honest, you dont need a 500 dollar amp if your not going to running like crazy priced speakers.

im running JL audio C2 components and coaxials and the amp ran me 210 +tax retail. and thats ran my system perfectly fine. dont listen to what your installer is saying.

go to best buy or and audio shop (more recommended) and ask a **** ton of questions about audio. decide if you want amp or no amp. which HU: go press a lot of buttons, see which one is more comfortable. see which speakers you like from the bunch at the audio shop. there are a lot to choose from.

sorry to keep it short. but that should get you started. gotta run.

Brian

edit: btw. yeah look at the link andy sent above. we have discussed this as well as in other threads.

Last edited by bheng; 03-28-2010 at 04:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 320 factory HU + HVAC replace with CLK350 HU + HVAC