CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 factory HU + HVAC replace with CLK350 HU + HVAC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
CLK 320 factory HU + HVAC replace with CLK350 HU + HVAC

Guys is this possible if I want to replace my stock HU + HVAC (1st pics) with the one in CLK350-07 (second pics) ? I know that I will need a new dash top one(above the headunit) and the one for HVAC panel but are those just plug&play ? Any special cable needed ? The Headunit in the second pics (CLK350-07) has no Navigation but thats fine as long as the CD & and the radio are working. Anyone here have done that before ?

CLK 320 Stock HU + HVAC,

CLK 350-07 HU + HVAC,

Thanks,

Andy
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Get an Audio 10 CD player. Lot less headache.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
what do you mean by that "Audio 10" ? I know I wont have any headache if I just go head and buy one of those aftermarket CD/DVD/navigation system but I just want the stock looks...calll me krazy lol

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-12-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
Audio 10 is the other "OEM" head unit for our years. I believe the wiring is different on the 05+ years compared to the 03-04 years. Plus all the parts and labor wouldn't be worth it. Stick to what you have or get an OEM Comand, those are your best bets.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by kiamcoj
Audio 10 is the other "OEM" head unit for our years. I believe the wiring is different on the 05+ years compared to the 03-04 years. Plus all the parts and labor wouldn't be worth it. Stick to what you have or get an OEM Comand, those are your best bets.
The one in the second pics is the OEM im confused.

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
The one in the second pics is the OEM im confused.

Andy
That's an OEM unit from an 05+ CLK, stick with a Comand from an 03-04 CLK or 02-04 C class. The electronics are different between the newer and older models, which is why they look different. Not sure how else I can explain it.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by kiamcoj
That's an OEM unit from an 05+ CLK, stick with a Comand from an 03-04 CLK or 02-04 C class. The electronics are different between the newer and older models, which is why they look different. Not sure how else I can explain it.
I know thats an OEM from 07 CLK 350 but just wondering if I can swap them with my...but I guess I have to stick with the stock one

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 03:27 AM

CLK 320
Do 03-04 W209's have fiber optic wiring?

I'm no expert, but just installed my aftermarket navi. It was kinda pricey, but it looks awesome and works wonderfully.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Originally Posted by astropat

I'm no expert, but just installed my aftermarket navi. It was kinda pricey, but it looks awesome and works wonderfully.
Did you add the Kenwood DNX8120? I see it as discontinued at couple stores. How do you like it? Did you replace the speakers or had to add amp or were you able to use the existing ones? How much was the installation and do you have any pics of the installed unit?

Thanks
Darius
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
what do you mean by that "Audio 10" ? I know I wont have any headache if I just go head and buy one of those aftermarket CD/DVD/navigation system but I just want the stock looks...calll me krazy lol

Andy
Audio 10 is a european version of an OEM headunit. It has CD instead of cassette. Its plug and play in your case. Search on here for pictures and more info.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500

Go Aftermarket, the wiring is different on the '05+ CLKs and will not be able to switch it out. Don't get me wrong, I like the factory look myself; but there are several advantages for going aftermarket.

1. The best factory units are no match for the best aftermarket units
2. LCD screens, navigation, expandability, and sound quality is better.
3. Will probably cost the same as getting a factory unit.

If you are planning to sell the car in the near future, then I can see the importance of getting a factory unit; but if you're in it for the long haul (like me), get the aftermarket unit........

Just my two cents......
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla

The answer is yes. Any pics of ur aftermarket navi. ? do you have to re-wire everything ? I mean to all ur speakers.

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
Go Aftermarket, the wiring is different on the '05+ CLKs and will not be able to switch it out. Don't get me wrong, I like the factory look myself; but there are several advantages for going aftermarket.

1. The best factory units are no match for the best aftermarket units
2. LCD screens, navigation, expandability, and sound quality is better.
3. Will probably cost the same as getting a factory unit.

If you are planning to sell the car in the near future, then I can see the importance of getting a factory unit; but if you're in it for the long haul (like me), get the aftermarket unit........

Just my two cents......
ah got it . Did you do ur already ? Mind to show some pics ?

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
ah got it . Did you do ur already ? Mind to show some pics ?

Andy
Ha, Ha! It looks like you have been thinking about this for a while (you were the last one to post on the following thread). Here is my radio install thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...o-install.html

I'm always happy to lend a hand on radio install questions, just post the question (so all MBworld members can gain the knowledge).
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I didnt know I had a few posts on ur theard lol. Anyway, that looks pretty good man . Where do you live ? U need to come to my house and help me out j/k. I think I have to bring it to the one of the local audio shope here. so is that true if you want to replace the headunit you have to re-wire all your speakers too ? what about the CD changer ? I bet you lost that option too huh?

btw, the installation for the amp & sub are perfect...looks neat man

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM

CLK 320
I had a long *** post earlier, but my tethering went out for a second and I was S.O.L., but anyway I'm back with some pics and quick answers.

Originally Posted by dariusf
Did you add the Kenwood DNX8120? I see it as discontinued at couple stores. How do you like it? Did you replace the speakers or had to add amp or were you able to use the existing ones? How much was the installation and do you have any pics of the installed unit?
I love the DNX8120. It's discontinued as the 9140 came out, but I don't want to spend $1800 on a HU. I bought mine off craigslist for $650. I didn't replace the speakers, but probably should have since I went with a different amp. My amp is pretty strong for those speakers and will probably blow 'em out eventually. It does sound better than stock though... way louder. Though you don't have to change the speakers, you do have redo all the wiring. I've heard different things about whether or not you can keep your stock amp, but I upgraded anyway. I bought my amp off a friend for $200.

For my installation, I was quoted the following:
HU swap - $80
Amps Installation - $110
Wires + installation - $110
Fascia fitting - $30

I bought my Scosche faceplate online and it said it is made for the C/CLK, but it didn't fit the CLK without shaving it down. They also installed my PAC steering wheel controls so I skip tracks and control volume.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
dude thats what I want . Did you do that all by yourself ? and does that has the Navigation ? what about the Ipod ? u have to buy the adapter/cable (not sure what it called) for that right ?

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-13-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM

CLK 320
I got it done at Gold Star Audio through a lot recommendations from other SoCal forum dudes. They handle a lot of hi-end cars and their prices seem reasonable. They did a really clean job too.

When I bought it off the guy on craigslist, he gave me the iPod cord with it. I think it usually cost $30. I forget the exact part number, but it's like iLuv KCA-301 or something. You can play video and everything off it if you have the 301 connector, not 300. I had them install the dock connector in the center console instead of the glove.

The Navi works really well. It's pretty responsive. If you're in a parking garage, it's a little annoying cause you have to get out of it so it can acquire the sattellites. Other than that, if you're blasting your music, it quiets the music to provide driving directions. It's pretty sweet. Overall, the unit is very user friendly.

The bluetooth is awesome. Once I paired it, it displayed my contacts and everything. You can also stream music via A2DP if you want. It works well that way too.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I'm getting that fosho since that Unit is disconnected what do you recommend beside your ? The newer one DNX9140 ? too much for me lol any other ?

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
I love the DNX8120. It's discontinued as the 9140 came out, but I don't want to spend $1800 on a HU. I bought mine off craigslist for $650. I didn't replace the speakers, but probably should have since I went with a different amp. My amp is pretty strong for those speakers and will probably blow 'em out eventually. It does sound better than stock though... way louder. Though you don't have to change the speakers, you do have redo all the wiring. I've heard different things about whether or not you can keep your stock amp, but I upgraded anyway. I bought my amp off a friend for $200.

For my installation, I was quoted the following:
HU swap - $80
Amps Installation - $110
Wires + installation - $110
Fascia fitting - $30

I bought my Scosche faceplate online and it said it is made for the C/CLK, but it didn't fit the CLK without shaving it down. They also installed my PAC steering wheel controls so I skip tracks and control volume.
That was a great price, will have to hunt a bit as well but now its the wheels, AMG bumpers and spoiler. If I could keep the amp. I would. The speakers suck as they are Bose (not a fan at all) but then its a car so not much one can do sound wise. At least when comparing to higher end home setups

Got to look in to the PAC steering wheel controller. I don't care much about loosing the console display mostly want a good ipod and phone integration. I have the 2009 C300 now and while it has the ipod integration it really sucks. Its almost like an afterthought and just to be able to say its there.

Thanks for the info and the pics!

Darius
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
Andy, i didnt read the whole thread and replies but the new clk350 unit will not work in your 320. You will need to replace the whole dash and wood trim and what not. Lets not talk about wiring because that will cost ALOT to replace.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by ZEEK
Andy, i didnt read the whole thread and replies but the new clk350 unit will not work in your 320. You will need to replace the whole dash and wood trim and what not. Lets not talk about wiring because that will cost ALOT to replace.
The only part that bother me is a re-wiring part...I mean I can find all the dash without any problem...but like you said it will cost alot of $$ to rewire everything to make it works so yea I agree with you guys on that .Anyway, I think im going to get the aftermarket NAV + Amp but now another problem which one should I get ? lolz Kenwood , Pioneer or ?

EDIT:

Someone in my area try to sell this Unit for $500 he said its brand new he never opened but the question is this price reasonable ? or any problem with this model ? Anyone knows ? Im NOT familiar with this kind of system lol.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...IN/AVIC-F900BT

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-14-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
thats a good deal Andy, that system is good. I think $500 is good, Make sure IT IS brand new when the seller says its brand new. Get the serial and call pioneer 1-800-421-1404 confirm it, maybe they can tell when it was bought and stuff and if its stolen or not. But try to negotiate more . Overall, its a very good unit. Good luck
Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
Also you dont need aftermarket amp unless you want more out of your music.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by ZEEK
Also you dont need aftermarket amp unless you want more out of your music.
I thought that if we changed the HU then we need to replace the stock amp too? isnt that right? Ok this is what I understand you replaced ur HU you will lose your CD Changer (stock) because there is optic cable running from the stock HU to our changer and I think there's another optic cable hooked it up to the stock amp from the headunit ...correct me if im wrong

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-14-2009 at 10:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK 320 factory HU + HVAC replace with CLK350 HU + HVAC