CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Winter is coming up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Winter is coming up!

So winter is slowly approaching and this is going to be my first winter with my CLK350.
What tires should i be using? I read that Bridgeston Blizzak or smth like that are the best around for sport cars.

Do you guys recommend anytihng else to do to the car knowing that i will be driving it in winter?

Any suggestion would be very appreciated. I want to be as careful as i can and damage my CLK in any way

Thank you
Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
whats up and congrats on the purchase of your clk. haha welcome to the family. since im going to assume the car is fairly new, i would say nothing. is it going to be snowing in your area. if not, then dont worry. if yes, then get chains if needed and drive slow? haha i mean theres not much more you can do to your car in terms of safety. i mean after are you are driving a benz.
i mean check the basics, anti freeze, tire wear, wipers...

however if you are willing to spend bank, new tires would be good..but i wouldnt go that far.

best suggestion tho is to drive slow.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Snow

Get the best tires you can afford. In fact, get the best tires and borrow the money if you have to. I'm guessing somewhere with a lot of snow and with a RWD vehicle like this, you'll need all the help you can get. Don't be afraid to load up the trunk with sand bags for some extra weight in the back. But whatever you do, don't skimp on the tires. The first time you land in a ditch will cost you more than the best tires would in body shop repairs at a minimum.

I live in Michigan, with some very tough roads, and would not consider driving a RWD Benz without some very serious snow tires on it.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by bheng
whats up and congrats on the purchase of your clk. haha welcome to the family. since im going to assume the car is fairly new, i would say nothing. is it going to be snowing in your area. if not, then dont worry. if yes, then get chains if needed and drive slow? haha i mean theres not much more you can do to your car in terms of safety. i mean after are you are driving a benz.
i mean check the basics, anti freeze, tire wear, wipers...

however if you are willing to spend bank, new tires would be good..but i wouldnt go that far.

best suggestion tho is to drive slow.
Hey there and thanx for the welcome

I am definitely going to by tires just in case you know. And it does snow here but we only get about 20 days of heavy snow storms.

Also a question about the windows?! SOme morning i bet most of us find the whole windows frozen and since the while think is basically a windows it would be bad to open the door and break the ice i guess! Will using the instant deicer damage the plastic seal between the 2 windows?

Also on my old C class i used to spray my windows with vinegar after parking my car for the night and there would be no ice in the morning so that something to keep in mind!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Get the best tires you can afford. In fact, get the best tires and borrow the money if you have to. I'm guessing somewhere with a lot of snow and with a RWD vehicle like this, you'll need all the help you can get. Don't be afraid to load up the trunk with sand bags for some extra weight in the back. But whatever you do, don't skimp on the tires. The first time you land in a ditch will cost you more than the best tires would in body shop repairs at a minimum.

I live in Michigan, with some very tough roads, and would not consider driving a RWD Benz without some very serious snow tires on it.
What tires do you use?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
I live in Michigan too. The last winter, I can't even drive my CLK350 out of my community. So I drive another car in the winter, toyota RAV4.

If you got another car, like 4WD SUV. Drive another car.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
I live in Chicago and unfortunatly I will have to drive the clk through the snow, last winter was a pita and I am expecting this one not to be much better. I have the 500 so all that torque low down wont help. Im going to buy a set of studded winter tires.