CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK 550, 2006 S350, 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD
snow

I do apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes:

yesterday, my wife took her 2009 clk550 out for a drive in the snow, and she had almost no control on the vehicle. I know RWDs are fairly lousy in the snow, but will putting winter tires on this car help a lot or not make much difference? This is in Maryland, where it does not snow much, but the folks don't clean up the road as quickly as upstate NY, for example, and so the slush and snow sits around, making traction a bit tricky. Also, if we do get snow tires, do they have to be installed by MB dealer or can any TireRack recommended guy (who can deal with TPMS) do it? Lastly, will my S350 with all-season tires fare any better in the snow than the smaller clk? The 350 has been sitting in the garage most of the winter (using the family AWD van instead) and it is not as much fun to drive the van vs the S.

Last edited by bugzbunny; 02-02-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by bugzbunny
I do apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes:

yesterday, my wife took her 2009 clk550 out for a drive in the snow, and she had almost no control on the vehicle. I know RWDs are fairly lousy in the snow, but will putting winter tires on this car help a lot or not make much difference? This is in Maryland, where it does not snow much, but the folks don't clean up the road as quickly as upstate NY, for example, and so the slush and snow sits around, making traction a bit tricky..
Good snow tires will make a HUGE difference--night and day, and totally worth the money. Put some extra weight in the back as well (I put some cement blocks in the trunk), and she'll be in good shape.

Also, if we do get snow tires, do they have to be installed by MB dealer or can any TireRack recommended guy (who can deal with TPMS) do it?
I've found the dealers to be fairly competitive/reasonable when it comes to tires, so I'd go with them unless there's some other reason not to.

Lastly, will my S350 with all-season tires fare any better in the snow than the smaller clk? The 350 has been sitting in the garage most of the winter (using the family AWD van instead) and it is not as much fun to drive the van vs the S
I've had a RWD C class with snow tires, and two 4Matics with all seasons. Both perform very well, but my preference in very bad Michigan winters is for the 4Matic.
Hard to make a call on the AWD Van (stability control or not?) vs the RWD S (ESP), but when you've got all that weight up front and the drive train in back, I'd guess that the van would be better. Give them both a try in an icy parking lot and report back!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
As FraK mentioned, snow tires are a world of difference. also keep in mind that with a 500 you must father the throttle allot. put very little power to the wheels and you'll be fine.
As i mentioned in many posts, my last 4 cars were RWD, all had winter tires, no extra weight ever added to the back, was fine. Personal i like Nokian WRs, been using them on 3 mercedes and a lexus. all year round. However for CLK will be getting a set of Summer wheels.
a 350 will be easier in the snow since it's not pushing out as much power. Winter tires on that will be even better. And i would rather drive an S even with a RWD than a minivan but that's just me.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM

2009 CLK 550, 2006 S350, 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD
Originally Posted by malahhaor
As FraK mentioned, snow tires are a world of difference. also keep in mind that with a 500 you must father the throttle allot. put very little power to the wheels and you'll be fine.
As i mentioned in many posts, my last 4 cars were RWD, all had winter tires, no extra weight ever added to the back, was fine. Personal i like Nokian WRs, been using them on 3 mercedes and a lexus. all year round. However for CLK will be getting a set of Summer wheels.
a 350 will be easier in the snow since it's not pushing out as much power. Winter tires on that will be even better. And i would rather drive an S even with a RWD than a minivan but that's just me.
Thanks, FraK and Malahhaor, for the great advice. I am going to order 4 tires from TireRack and have them delivered to my MB dealer for swapout for the CLK. The great thing about the van is it has AWD, VSC and winter tires (plus a video display for the kids at the back). Is not a Merc in any sense, but when the kids are in the back row, it is almost like they are in a different country.... I guess the positive spin is that I am protecting my 350 from the harsh stuff they put on the road in winters; and it is only 4 more weeks at most.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 AM

W203-4M W163
Thanks, FraK and Malahhaor, for the great advice. I am going to order 4 tires from TireRack and have them delivered to my MB dealer for swapout for the CLK. The great thing about the van is it has AWD, VSC and winter tires (plus a video display for the kids at the back). Is not a Merc in any sense, but when the kids are in the back row, it is almost like they are in a different country.... I guess the positive spin is that I am protecting my 350 from the harsh stuff they put on the road in winters; and it is only 4 more weeks at most.

You'll be happy with that option I think. Unless she's driving around in Sudbury, your wife should be fine with some good winter tires.

I'm with you and Malahhaorr on this one...Protect the S350 and trash the van if you can stand driving it. Of course, I can't stand driving anything other than my MBs!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 AM

W209 500
It's still snowing. DC area usually doesn't get this much snow. When its snowing like that, our cars are immobilized.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
I would suggest a set of rims to go with those tires, that way you can easily swap for winter or summer driving.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Blizzak LM-60 + CLK = snow tank

Put a set on my OEM wheels for the winter months here in KC. They have performed way beyond what I was expecting. This has been the snowest winter in years here, and more to come tomorrow. No worries.

Bad thing is... I fly out to DC in the afternoon. Forecast looks well.... snowy. M
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

W209 500
Originally Posted by Mka77
Blizzak LM-60 + CLK = snow tank

Put a set on my OEM wheels for the winter months here in KC. They have performed way beyond what I was expecting. This has been the snowest winter in years here, and more to come tomorrow. No worries.

Bad thing is... I fly out to DC in the afternoon. Forecast looks well.... snowy. M

Better get out of here while you can before the weekend hits. 20 inches of snow.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
No question about it. My CLK handles like a 4x4 now. I can still take turns sideways if I want to but it drives VERY well in Chicago snow and ice.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...now-tires.html

I installed a new set of Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 winter tires.

Got my tires from Tire Rack website at a great price plus they had $70 mail in rebate and no tax. I think you can still get the rebate. Installation with balancing was $65 at National Tire & Battery. Discount Tires wanted $108 for the install. These are also on the stock 16" rims. I still want to do alignment but it does not feel like it needs one. Firestone Service has lifetime alignment deal that is a good way to go especially if you switch winter/summer wheels. I will just store them in the garage for the summer while I have the 19" Monarch EURO 63's on.