CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Service B Questions - Building a DIY - Searched the forums already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
See the attached parts illustration. The circled part is what is know as a front axle ball joint. The top one is at the end of the thrust arm, the lower one is at the end of the control arm.

Also Notice at the top of the document it states front axle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
J2PrinterWorks print document.pdf (90.7 KB, 1268 views)

Last edited by MBtech1098; 02-13-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: change to PDF
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Yes, I do know what you meant even without looking at the pic. Those joints are also on the sway bar links...etc. Based on your screen name, you're MB tech and I hope that you work for the Mercedes dealer because I have a question for you. Since the dealer get paid by Mercedes for all warranty works. Why do the dealer charges EXTRA $$$ for service A and B when 90% of the work is just "check" even when the car is still under warranty? Should all the "check" item be free? Because it benefit the dealer as much as the owners. Like every shop when a customer bring it the cars for any service, the mechanic would look over everything and report any problems finding to the owners and hope that they get more services. These type of free "check" services benefit the shop more. I have no problems just pay for things like oil change, tranny services, brake flush, coolant flush....etc. I only paid one time for the service A after looking at the services paperwork and realize I paid $$$$ for an oil changed.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Thanks alot for the help guys. One question i have for the fluids is should i ever replace them fully? What i mean is, flush the old ones out and put in new ones. If so, when should i do it and should i do for brake and steering fluids?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michaelnovikov
Thanks alot for the help guys. One question i have for the fluids is should i ever replace them fully? What i mean is, flush the old ones out and put in new ones. If so, when should i do it and should i do for brake and steering fluids?

Power steering service are not required but I fluch mine anyway. Brake fluid flush are every 2 years. Get yourself a "power brake" bleeder kit. I did all 4 calipers for less then 30 mins.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Klinh
Yes, I do know what you meant even without looking at the pic. Those joints are also on the sway bar links...etc. Based on your screen name, you're MB tech and I hope that you work for the Mercedes dealer because I have a question for you. Since the dealer get paid by Mercedes for all warranty works. Why do the dealer charges EXTRA $$$ for service A and B when 90% of the work is just "check" even when the car is still under warranty? Should all the "check" item be free? Because it benefit the dealer as much as the owners. Like every shop when a customer bring it the cars for any service, the mechanic would look over everything and report any problems finding to the owners and hope that they get more services. These type of free "check" services benefit the shop more. I have no problems just pay for things like oil change, tranny services, brake flush, coolant flush....etc. I only paid one time for the service A after looking at the services paperwork and realize I paid $$$$ for an oil changed.

Not to hijack this thread...
I agree and dis-agree with you. The way a tech gets paid is for the work he does, if he spent all that time, and did not find anything, he got paid nothing, if the service was no charge. If you want to go into detail PM me and I'll make it clearer.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Power steering service are not required but I fluch mine anyway. Brake fluid flush are every 2 years. Get yourself a "power brake" bleeder kit. I did all 4 calipers for less then 30 mins.
Thank you. As far as the power steering fluid goes, i saw a few interesting articles on the power steering fluid exchanger machine but i have not found one that is made for consumer needs. Most of these things are in the price range of $800+ and are meant for commercial use. Do you think i can just get away with a pump like this http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...d+extractor.do ?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBtech1098,

When doing the coolant exchange/flush, do you really need to remove the block coolant drain plug? How much do you think coolant still in block if not remove the block drain plug? See alot of people DIY and not remove the block drain plug. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM

10 speed bicycle
MBtech1098,

When doing the coolant exchange/flush, do you really need to remove the block coolant drain plug? How much do you think coolant still in block if not remove the block drain plug? See alot of people DIY and not remove the block drain plug. Thanks.
Not necessary, there is very little coolant remaining in the block. Some of the block drains are easy to get to, some are not.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Not necessary, there is very little coolant remaining in the block. Some of the block drains are easy to get to, some are not.

Thanks !!