CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Service B Questions - Building a DIY - Searched the forums already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Service B Questions - Building a DIY - Searched the forums already

Hey guys,

I've decided to complete most of my service alerts on my own, or at least most of what i can. I've obtained a copy of the service manual in a pdf format and began to read it through. I found how to complete most of the things including the filter changes both for cabin and engine. Im going to be writing up a do it your self Service B thread to explain how you can complete each of these steps without spending $500 on a dealer. Here is the things i came across that i did not understand:

-Check Driveshaft flex discs ( Where do i find these? I know that they are tightened by a bunch of bolts and to test if they are worn, you should look out for holes and major breaks) I do not know exactly where to find it and how to get to it to replace it, i'm wondering if any one can help me out.

- Activated Charcoal Filter, i know that in some cars this filter is underneath the glovebox. I'm also aware that the cabin filter is located where the battery is in the front. My question is where is the charcoal filter and is it the same thing as the cabin filter?

- -Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots - Where do i find these exactly and how do i test if they are still okay or need replacement

- - Check conditions of steering mechanical components and rubber boots -Also the same question, how do i check and where is it?

- Check condition of poly-V-belt - Is that the main belt on the engine? Where would i find

- For my last question is there any way for me to check these fluid levels:

Brake system 4210
Power steering
Windshield washer system

Thank you guys i would appreciate the help and i think that after i'm done many will find this useful
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
WOW.......those are really basic infos and you don't know where they are on the car?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 PM

2014 GL450
Maybe an independent shop can check the items for you at less cost than the dealer.

Sorry to agree with Klinh but if you do not know what these things are it is likely you will not know if they are in good or bad condition when you find them.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 PM

CLK
Well telling what i do not know is obvious fellas :-P Just because i do not know where it is, does not mean i can't check it if there is a reasonable explanation on how to find it and see if it is okay.

I'm trying to avoid going to other shops, thats why im learning this on my own. I'm new to the clk and i want to figure out it out.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM

CLK 500 & E55 AMG
I agree these are very basic things have you even looked under the hood?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM

W209 500
Originally Posted by Klinh
WOW.......those are really basic infos and you don't know where they are on the car?
LOL.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM

W209 500
For all the questions you said, you don't have to worry much. If you take your car to service A or B or C the dealer or the indie will usually do an inspection for you. They will tell you if something is wrong. Actually don't take it to the dealer, find a good Indie. And your car is pretty smart, the computer may tell you when stuff fails too. When something gonna fail, it's gonna fail, you can't stop it. So just do your fluid checks and that's pretty much all you need.
Your brake fluid is under the cover on the top right side of your engine.
Steering as far as I remember, the location is pretty obvious.
Windshield washer? who cares man, just add it when there's nothing coming out. I think even Hyundai cars have a windshield washer low indicator, so MB prob have it also.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by michaelnovikov
-Check Driveshaft flex discs
These are at the rear of the trans, and the rear diff...

- Activated Charcoal Filter
Your car does not have one

- Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
- Check conditions of steering mechanical components and rubber boots
Theses are all under the car at the front wheel location areas...hard to check with out a lift, or at least raising the car off the ground.

- Check condition of poly-V-belt - Is that the main belt on the engine? Where would i find

Brake system 4210
Power steering
Windshield washer system
All this is extremely basic stuff, honestly if you can not locate any of this, you really should not be poking around under the hood.

It might be worth the extra money to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM

CLK
Your car does not have one
How do you know that it does not have one? How do i check if i have one, is there a button on the dash somewhere??

I understand that by not knowing these basic locations i should not touch anything. I'm sure that you had to go through some schooling before you knew where it is so please we all need to start somewhere, i'm just asking nicely for some help.

Thank you,
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM

10 speed bicycle
Because a 209 chassis does not have an activated charcoal filter.

I was not being mean, just honest.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM

CLK 500
what about sparkplugs?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Because a 209 chassis does not have an activated charcoal filter.

I was not being mean, just honest.
I know you were not, sorry if it came off a little wrong.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM

CLK
Steering as far as I remember, the location is pretty obvious.
Where would this obvious location be if you dont mind me asking. Is it located in the left hand side of the hood with a black cap and a white see through container? To what level should the steering fluid be? As far as the break fluid goes, thats located right on top of the master cylinder right? What type should i use? I know most cars use .3 and it should be an amber color. I also know that i should fill it up about half an inch before the edge. Is this all info correct, if not please do correct me.

Last edited by michaelnovikov; 02-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM

W209 500
Our cars use dot 4 +, it's best to pick up some fluids from the dealer. If not, just pick up some dot 4 brake fluids.
I can't remember where the steering reservoir is, I can check for you tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by guofan
Our cars use dot 4 +, it's best to pick up some fluids from the dealer. If not, just pick up some dot 4 brake fluids.
I can't remember where the steering reservoir is, I can check for you tomorrow.
Ill definitely be picking it up from the dealer, thanks for clarifying the type needed and thank you for your help into looking up the steering reservoir. I know most caps say power steering or steering fluid on it but i cannot seem to find the cap that says or maybe it just does not say it.

I also did some research on the poly v belts, just to clarify this is the belt that has the multi v shaped marks on the inside of it right? Its also flat on the outside. Slight cracks are usually nothing to worry about but if i notice major cracks and wearing then i should be replacing it, is this all correct.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 PM

CLK
Originally Posted by directordat
what about sparkplugs?
Spark plugs are replaced at 78,000 miles.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where would this obvious location be if you dont mind me asking. Is it located in the left hand side of the hood with a black cap and a white see through container? To what level should the steering fluid be? As far as the break fluid goes, thats located right on top of the master cylinder right? What type should i use? I know most cars use .3 and it should be an amber color. I also know that i should fill it up about half an inch before the edge. Is this all info correct, if not please do correct me.

OMG........
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 AM

CLK
OMG........
Smarty pants, i'm not asking for your dumbass comments. If you can help, please do. If not, please keep refrain from showing off how much you know about everything.

I like how you think you're a big guy, you're really not.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM

CLK 500
Spark plugs are replaced at 78,000 miles.
who replaces them?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smarty pants, i'm not asking for your dumbass comments. If you can help, please do. If not, please keep refrain from showing off how much you know about everything.

I like how you think you're a big guy, you're really not.

Dude...........thanks for the
Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by directordat
who replaces them?

Didn't need to replaced on the Clk 500 yet but I did replaced them on my Clk 430 and CL 55. When I did it, the hardest part were removed the plugs coil without breaking it because I didn't have the plug coil puller. I used my hands hands to pull it out and it won't come out. The only way I were able to get it out were by using the open wrench 17mm to pry it out. Or you can spent around $30-$40 for the plug coil puller. The 2 plugs on the back each side of the engine is the hardest one to removed. Anyone that want to try it, do the back one first or don't waste your times. If you can do that, then the rest is very easy.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 AM

CLK
Dude...........thanks for the
My pleasure
Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys,

I've decided to complete most of my service alerts on my own, or at least most of what i can. I've obtained a copy of the service manual in a pdf format and began to read it through. I found how to complete most of the things including the filter changes both for cabin and engine. Im going to be writing up a do it your self Service B thread to explain how you can complete each of these steps without spending $500 on a dealer. Here is the things i came across that i did not understand:

-Check Driveshaft flex discs ( Where do i find these? I know that they are tightened by a bunch of bolts and to test if they are worn, you should look out for holes and major breaks) I do not know exactly where to find it and how to get to it to replace it, i'm wondering if any one can help me out.

Under the car, between the tranny and rear differentail, you have a drive shaft. The flex disc connect one end of the drive shaft to the tranny and the other end to the rear differential. The flex disc is there to absorbed the sudden power transfer from the tranny to the rear differential that turn/spin the wheels. The flex disc is rubber that will crack due to heat/abuse. When it crack, the first sign, it will cause major vibration from the drive shaft due to mis-alingment on the shaft and the worse case, dis-connect the tranny from turning/spinning the wheel. It a little hard to inspect it because the exhaust system is in the way plus you need to jack the car completely of the ground so that you can turn the rear wheel to spin the flex disc 360 degree for a complete inspection.

- Activated Charcoal Filter, i know that in some cars this filter is underneath the glovebox. I'm also aware that the cabin filter is located where the battery is in the front. My question is where is the charcoal filter and is it the same thing as the cabin filter?

I don't think we have the on our car

- -Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots - Where do i find these exactly and how do i test if they are still okay or need replacement

As for axles ball joints, our car is rear wheel drive only, so it in the back. It the black rubber that go between the differential and the wheel drive shaft. In reality, you can't really inpect the axle ball joint unless you remove the rubber boots. Usually when the ball joints is bad, the first sign to go is the rubber boots. The rubber boots is design to hold the grease to lube the joint. When the rubber crack/damages, the lube is lost and the joint will go bad due to no lubrication.

- - Check conditions of steering mechanical components and rubber boots -Also the same question, how do i check and where is it?

The steering mechanical is under the engine between the 2 front wheels. There's one rubber boot each side of the steering. Again, you can't inpsect the internal part seal because of the rubber boots. So when it bad, the first sign to go is the rubber boot.

The poly-V-belt is just the named of the belt itself. On our car, there's only one belt that running everything. Just make sure that it does not have any crack on it. Btw, when inpsect, look on the inside (the groove) NOT the out side of the belt for cracks.

- For my last question is there any way for me to check these fluid levels:

Brake system 4210
Power steering
Windshield washer system

First, left side is the "drive side" and "right side" is the passenger. The brake fluid reservior (clear color) is on the driver side right under the windshield and next to the drive side strut/shock. There's a black plastic cover that you need to remove to see it. The fluid level should be
at the top level mark or in between the 2 marks on the reservior bottle/container. The fluid level should NEVER be below the bottom mark or air will get in your system. When the fluid level is low and your system does not have a leak, it because the brake pad is wearing down. The power steering reservior (brown color) is on the driver side right next to the oil cap, oil filter housing and under the black airbox tube. The level should be at the top mark or in between the two mark at all time. And winshield washer reservior (clear color with blue cap) is right next to the power steering reservior. Just fill it up with washer fluid until it spill out. NEVER fill it with just water alone. In winter time the pump will freezed and damages. The pump is under and on the side of the reservior bootle.

Thank you guys i would appreciate the help and i think that after i'm done many will find this useful

Hope that will help.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM

10 speed bicycle

As for axles ball joints, our car is rear wheel drive only, so it in the back. It the black rubber that go between the differential and the wheel drive shaft. In reality, you can't really inpect the axle ball joint unless you remove the rubber boots. Usually when the ball joints is bad, the first sign to go is the rubber boots. The rubber boots is design to hold the grease to lube the joint. When the rubber crack/damages, the lube is lost and the joint will go bad due to no lubrication.
Front axle ball joints refer to the ball joint that attaches the steering knuckle to the lower control arm. On a 209 chassis these are actually part of the lower control arm. There is also a ball joint on each thrust arm at the front axle. These are checked at the front axle by raising the vehicle and exerting pressure up and down on the joint while monitoring the reading on a dial indicator, or an experienced tech will know what the proper feel is.

What you are referring to is the CV joint on the rear axles themselves.

Any time MB uses the term "front axle" does not mean there is a drive axle there. The term "front axle" just refers to front wheel location.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Front axle ball joints refer to the ball joint that attaches the steering knuckle to the lower control arm. On a 209 chassis these are actually part of the lower control arm. There is also a ball joint on each thrust arm at the front axle. These are checked at the front axle by raising the vehicle and exerting pressure up and down on the joint while monitoring the reading on a dial indicator, or an experienced tech will know what the proper feel is.

What you are referring to is the CV joint on the rear axles themselves.

Any time MB uses the term "front axle" does not mean there is a drive axle there. The term "front axle" just refers to front wheel location.

I do know what you're saying now. Another example are the steering outer joints and those joint are sealed but when the term "axle ball joints and rubber boots " are connect together. I'm thinking more of the drive shaft, bearings and CV boot joints.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service B Questions - Building a DIY - Searched the forums already