CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

C.A.R.B Certified Headers for M113 Engine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
C.A.R.B Certified Headers for M113 Engine.

I'm planning out the my exhaust setup and I have everything figured out except for the headers. My problem is that I live in smog strict California and my car will have to get visually inspected in order to pass smog. If the headers don't come with a C.A.R.B number, then it will fail the inspection. I don't like the idea of slipping the smog shop owner some $$$ in order to get it to pass smog and risking his smog license to do it.

I know it takes lots of $$$$ in order to get C.A.R.B certification and the costs get passed to the consumer. But the way I look at it, the long term cost of removing/installing Non-C.A.R.B headers (over and over again) would be the same.

I think the Kleeman headers are C.A.R.B certified (couldn't verify that on their website) and the Evosport headers are C.A.R.B pending (unless they are finally approved).

Does anyone know of any C.A.R.B certified headers for the M113 engine?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
i have Kleeman headers and i had 2 cut my cats so i dont think u will past but renntech might pass and ams might pass i would try them out
Old 04-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I highly doubt any set of headers that deletes primary cats is CARB certified (that would defeat the whole point).

A few customers have passed with the AMS headers but again it just depends on the car & owner. If the rest of the car is stock you can usually pull it off. Over time the stainless headers do turn a goldish bronze color so they become even more stealthy with age.

But again, no guarantees. You are correct though CARB certification is ridiculously expensive and is really nothing more than a way for gov to raise more revenues (which ironically enough still results in massive deficits ) .

Hope that helps
Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
I highly doubt any set of headers that deletes primary cats is CARB certified (that would defeat the whole point).

A few customers have passed with the AMS headers but again it just depends on the car & owner. If the rest of the car is stock you can usually pull it off. Over time the stainless headers do turn a goldish bronze color so they become even more stealthy with age.

But again, no guarantees. You are correct though CARB certification is ridiculously expensive and is really nothing more than a way for gov to raise more revenues (which ironically enough still results in massive deficits ) .

Hope that helps
I was thinking more along the lines of shorty headers, but looking at the prices of Evosport's and Kleemans's, I'm not sure it's worth it.

AMS,
I've been reading this thread your participated in the CLK ///AMG forum:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...aust-note.html
and you had lots of useful information for the CLK55/63s. But I have a CLK500, so I would like to know what you suggest.
Here are all my assumptions:
* I have a stock MB muffler (restrictive - verses the free flowing ///AMG muffler)
* I have a stock MB resonator (restrictive - verses the free flowing ///AMG muffler)
* My headers and cats are the same as the CLK55s

My goals:
-Better engine performance
-Better exhaust sound (with minimal droning)
-Pass the Smog test (at least the sniffer test, I can work around the visual part)

My plans so far:
^Delete resonator
^Headers (Most likely AMS Headers)
^Replace the Primary and Secondary Cats (any suggestions?)
^Replace the muffler with a high performance muffler (///AMG mufflers are nice, but the cost is too restrictive. I plan on doing a Quad setup in the future and getting an aftermarket performance muffler will help with that. Suggestions?)

How does all this sound?

Last edited by 2MCHCAR; 04-09-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updated to do list.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
Ams has the best bang for the buck and will pass
I have kleemen and they rock 4 power and sound but I don't think u will pass
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
The best route to take is simply find a nice used AMG muffler setup (resonator & rear muffler) and simply bolt them on (or weld if its been cut off donor car).

The optimal route is to upgrade 2nd cats to high flow and not touch resonator or muffler. However, since you are in cali and worried about carb you may not want to touch the 2nd cats. The headers do open up the sound significantly so you will want that extra resonance muffling capacity. If you stick with stock 2nd cats then you can probably get away with stock 2nd cats (but then you leave a good 10 HP/TQ on the table @ wheels). The AMS headers do work at their best in conjunction with the high flow 2nd cats and really do make the car sound fantastic, very meaty & sporty, yet still refined & smooth with minimal drone during daily driving. Basically its loud @ WOT when you want it, quiet when you aren't.

hope that helps,
~AMS~
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
hey 2mchar, did you figure out what your going to do with highflow cats in ca? haha
im doing my research but come up with a 600 part from magnaflow... what are you using?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bheng
hey 2mchar, did you figure out what your going to do with highflow cats in ca? haha
im doing my research but come up with a 600 part from magnaflow... what are you using?
I'm going with 300 Cell Metallic high flow cats from ebay (2.5 inlet/outlet; $85; this is what AMS recommends). They are not C.A.R.B certified, but unless you tell the Smog Tech you changed them, they won't be able to tell the difference (and you will still pass the sniffer test).
Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
I'm going with 300 Cell Metallic high flow cats from ebay (2.5 inlet/outlet; $85; this is what AMS recommends). They are not C.A.R.B certified, but unless you tell the Smog Tech you changed them, they won't be able to tell the difference (and you will still pass the sniffer test).
i wonder how long it will last? but i am down to try. haha. last time i got my smog, the guy didnt even look below the car or under the hood. rofl i just want it to pass the sniffer.

can you PM me the link? couldnt find it
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
Nice. Any updates on pics/install? I like your plan with the AMS headers and 300 cell cats. Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Nice. Any updates on pics/install? I like your plan with the AMS headers and 300 cell cats. Keep us posted.
No problem SoCal, I plan on doing this within the next 6 weeks. I will create a thread with pics, my performance/sound review and detailing my lessons learned.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Looking forward to that Carlos!