CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Notice of Class Action Suit against MBUSA received in mail.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
haha
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by BadDebt
For the record, if you don't know that low profile tires are more prone to blowouts and damged rims, you are an idiot and should be treated accordingly.
Are you refering to a general "you", as in anyone who doesn't know that is an idiot?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by Clkboi
oh now i get it damn wtf. I was thinking weird sorry.

That is actually very cute
Baby holding his dad's finger.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM

2008 ML550 P2. 2010 E350 P2
yeah I am just saying in general, it doesn’t take a disclaimer to realize that when you put less rubber between yourself and the road, you are more susceptible to problems.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
Originally Posted by BadDebt
yeah I am just saying in general, it doesn’t take a disclaimer to realize that when you put less rubber between yourself and the road, you are more susceptible to problems.
You are giving humans too much credit. We need caution coffee hot labels for coffee on our cups so people don't burn themselves.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Off topic, but what the hell the thread is dead anyways. It died 5 years ago.

What Most People Heard

I’m sure we all heard about the case where somebody spilled McDonalds’ coffee on themself and sued the establishment for millions of dollars because there was no warning on the cup. Some would say this is ridiculous and would be outraged if the Plaintiff was successful in getting any sort of compensation for such an incident. However, not many people actually know the truth behind this case. Did you know that...
What Most People Don't Know - [1] McDonalds' coffee is REALLY HOT

Usually coffee is served at approximately 130-140°F, whether it be from home or your friendly neighborhood coffee shop. However, in order to maintain optimal taste for their particular brand of coffee, McDonalds served their coffee at 180-190°F. That’s a 50°F difference, just so their coffee wouldn’t taste like … bad tasting coffee.

What Most People Don't Know - [2] REALLY HOT coffee burns you REALLY QUICKLY

A thermodynamics expert testified that any liquid at 180°F spilled on flesh will cause a full thickness burn in about 2-7 seconds. That's a 3° burn (Google what it looks like – I dare you) in less than the amount of time it generally takes me to remove my clothing.

What Most People Don't Know - [3] McDonalds COULD HAVE PREVENTED the accident

At about 155°F, the burn hazard would have been dramatically lowered; meaning after a spill, the liquid would have time to cool down to a safe temperature thus averting any serious injury. Or maybe McDonalds could have just purchased better coffee. Even a simple sign that specifically warns their customer about their special scalding hot coffee would have at least been helpful. But none of these things were done.

What Most People Don't Know - [4] McDonalds' own people advised against serving REALLY HOT coffee

McDonalds’s own safety inspector was aware that coffee served over 140°F was a burn hazard. He testified that the temperature which McDonalds was serving their coffee was in fact not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat of their customers. After being warned by their own expert, McDonalds chose to ignore this problem and refused to lower the holding temperature of their coffee. They chose to expose their customers to unnecessary risks.

What Most People Don't Know - [5] McDonalds knew that their customers would IMMEDIATELY CONSUME the REALLY HOT coffee

Furthermore, their own research shows that McDonalds knew that coffee bought from a drive-thru window would be consumed immediately in the vehicle.

What Most People Don't Know - [6] The Plaintiff was SEVERELY harmed

The plaintiff in question was a 60 year old lady. The coffee fell on her and she suffered 3° burns on her groin area that required extensive surgery; skin was grafted onto her inner thighs, buttocks, and genitals. She was hospitalized for 8 days and underwent extensive rehabilitation.

What Most People Don't Know - [7] McDonalds had LOTS of prior complaints about their REALLY HOT coffee

McDonalds knew that people were being burned by their coffee. Prior to the lawsuit, there were 700 (SEVEN HUNDRED!) claims made against McDonalds, and yet they did nothing to protect their customers – not even a warning about their special scalding hot coffee was added to their cups.

What Most People Don't Know - [8] The Court felt that McDonalds behavior DESERVES PUNISHMENT

McDonalds’s conduct was held by the Court to be reckless, callous and willful. Punitive damages were awarded against McDonalds in excess of millions, but was later reduced. McDonalds tied up the lawsuit with various appeals and then there was a confidential settlement between the parties. At the beginning, the plaintiff would have settled the case at $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

Last edited by BadDebt; 03-01-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Or better yet Birth Control that states ORAL tablets clearly on box yet you still have to have a take by mouth label so they don't stick it in other places (because yes, sadly it has happened to numerous patients)
Eventually we'll have a label every 5 feet that says, if you can please take a moment and remember to breathe.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
This thread is a hot mess!! Going in all sorts of different directions lol
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
3 pages of fun. I wonder why the original 3 posters haven't chimed in.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

BENZ 550
I need to SUE the ****! i just hit a small pot hole and again i got a **** impact bubble i jus got the **** tires 2 months ago. i already have replaced 6 sets of tires 2 sets of rims and repaired bent rims. THIS IS **** ****!!!!

Last edited by Nola; 03-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM

2004 e320 awd
Hey guys there is a class action suit in place and it was filed in 2009. Mercedes knows they have a problem about the amg wheels cracking and I have the TSB statement to prove it. In fact I am working with the attorneys who have filed the law suit. So if you have a MB AMG car 2006 to present you need to contact me. If you still have the wheels that are cracked that is even better.

CSIDAN
704-216-0081
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Why would you need to have an AMG car, couldnt you just have AMG wheels? I had stock amg wheels on my 04 CLK500.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 PM

2004 e320 awd
Hey BD maybe so, do you have any cracked AMG wheels? I will ask the attorneys about it. Also MB by a TSB they are against chrome plating aluminum MB wheels, still MB sells chrome plated aluminum wheels.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM

2008 350CLK Convertible
So anyway, here I am in Afghanistan. One day back in Dec I got a message telling me that my wife was in the hosp because the left front tire on the '08 350 CLK fell apart at 70mph. Luckily she came out of it with just a few bumps and a broken foot. I have heard that there were problems with some wheels. However these were not AMG wheels. I do not know if that made a big difference. Unfortunately we did not get the wheel. However we did get a photo showing the tire still on the rim with no center spokes.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM

2004 e320 awd
cracking MB wheels

MB has a silent TSB out to their MB dealers about this problem (see statement below). There is a class action lawsuit in place now and one of the class plaintiffs went through 11 wheels. So, I am searching for MB owners who has a wheel cracking problem. The wheels must be the OEM originals that came with the car at the time of purchase. The attorneys I am working with need MB 2006 and up with wheel cracking problems to contact me, so I can see if the cracks are in the same location or various locations. I feel the cracking of the wheels are from a bad casting. Please let other MB 2006 and up know about this problem and have them to contact me via email and phone.

CSIDAN
Danny Wyatt
dwyatt@csiofnc.com
704-216-0081

Date: March 10, 2009

MY-All, Models All
Radial Crack in Light Alloy Disk Wheel

Through inspection of returned warranty parts, it has become evident that light alloy disk wheels are being replaced under warranty for radial cracks. This type of damage is attributable to driving over obstacles and resulting punctures. The rim flange becomes deformed and a radial crack occurs immediately or later due to the vehicle's operating load.This type of damage is not covered under warranty.

Low section tires also significantly contribute to mechanical damage because of their lower side wall height and the possibility of a crack can be exacerbated by low tire inflation pressure.

For safety reasons, a tire should be replaced after it has been punctured to preclude internal fabric damage of the tire carcass.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 AM

2004 e320 awd
here is the link to read about the law suit

http://www.thecorporateobserver.com/...nt%20Filed.pdf
Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 AM

2007 CLK 550 Cab
Originally Posted by csidan
here is the link to read about the law suit

http://www.thecorporateobserver.com/...nt%20Filed.pdf
Thanks for the info, csidan. I have a 2007 CLK550 with the AMG package, including AMG wheels, which I've owned just over a year. The wheels have a big positive offset, and on getting them rebalanced because of vibration, I was told that the inner edges of the front wheels are out of round because of the big unsupported offset. The dealer I bought the car from (it was a CPO vehicle) told me that they always check that the wheels are perfect as part of the CPO process and that the damage is not covered under warranty. I haven't replaced or repaired the wheels yet, but I'll look into this lawsuit thing. Thanks again.
And for you old timers - yes, I'm a newbie and while I realized low profile tyres are more prone to damage, I didn't think that the wheels themselves would fail so easily.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

2004 e320 awd
cracking MB wheels

Joe you are welcome and I did forward your responce with the one of the attorneys. You brought up a good point to about the offset, makes me wonder if that is also causing a problem.

Danny