CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

If I replace my HK w/Comand ... what do I lose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 350
If I replace my HK w/Comand ... what do I lose?

Sorry - I have looked through stickies on this but can't find a comprehensive answer. Just got this car. It has the HK with COMAND but no phone. There (appears) to be a very small AUX jack in the glove box. But I would like true iPod function and Bluetooth... So I am considering removing the entire setup and going with something like an AVIC.

Thing is I see the COMAND also does things like set the clock, and of course there is the matter of the steering wheel controls.

If I make the switch what happens to my clock? What happens to the steering wheel controls? Is there a proper mask and mounting kit available for something double-din like an AVIC?

Many thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by Oracle
Sorry - I have looked through stickies on this but can't find a comprehensive answer. Just got this car. It has the HK with COMAND but no phone. There (appears) to be a very small AUX jack in the glove box. But I would like true iPod function and Bluetooth... So I am considering removing the entire setup and going with something like an AVIC.

Thing is I see the COMAND also does things like set the clock, and of course there is the matter of the steering wheel controls.

If I make the switch what happens to my clock? What happens to the steering wheel controls? Is there a proper mask and mounting kit available for something double-din like an AVIC?

Many thanks!
Contact fellow MBworld member bheng, I believe he runs a AVIC in his CLK
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Hey Oracle.a lot of info is on 2mchar's thread and v12's i will be starting one of my own tonight actually. and i have an avic installs. lol perfect timing.

i have an avic in my car. love it.

i had a couple of questions tho. cant you adjust the time thru your steering wheel or through the main board?

Other than that,
Yes you can retain everything. It would be better to say that you;d be gaining if you get the avic. with an avic, you get: full ipod control, bluetooth, nav, touchscreen, ability to watch movies whether in motion or stopped (if bypassed), you have the option for rear camera. The options are unlimited and depend on how much cash flow you have.

As for sw controls, there are two options. One is the pac audio products which allow you to program your sw controls, which mean you can retain everything or customize to your liking. I used something else, it was the ca.r.pi-131. its a european adapter specifically for the avic. I currently have options for volume and track changes.

But i never used it for bt yet. lol I will attempt it later and see what happens.

Other members have custom made a dash kit. For the updated CLKs, i just found this one.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+MZ2347.html

that should fit your dash and what was recommended when i entered in an 06 CLK. If you can adjust the clock from sw, then i dont see why not. Also, the avic has its own clock on the top right corner of the screen in the navi option. and IMO, the navi looks a lot better than stock.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i compared my avic to my friends stock nav from an 09 C W204 and he said my nav can out do his nav =D so everything is pointing to the avic. please let me know if you have any more questions. a lot of the install questions are on 2mchar's and v12's thread as i stated earlier. and i'll see if i can snap some photos of my set up later tonight.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by bheng
Hey Oracle.a lot of info is on 2mchar's thread and v12's i will be starting one of my own tonight actually. and i have an avic installs. lol perfect timing.

i have an avic in my car. love it.

i had a couple of questions tho. cant you adjust the time thru your steering wheel or through the main board?

Other than that,
Yes you can retain everything. It would be better to say that you;d be gaining if you get the avic. with an avic, you get: full ipod control, bluetooth, nav, touchscreen, ability to watch movies whether in motion or stopped (if bypassed), you have the option for rear camera. The options are unlimited and depend on how much cash flow you have.

As for sw controls, there are two options. One is the pac audio products which allow you to program your sw controls, which mean you can retain everything or customize to your liking. I used something else, it was the ca.r.pi-131. its a european adapter specifically for the avic. I currently have options for volume and track changes.

But i never used it for bt yet. lol I will attempt it later and see what happens.

Other members have custom made a dash kit. For the updated CLKs, i just found this one.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+MZ2347.html

that should fit your dash and what was recommended when i entered in an 06 CLK. If you can adjust the clock from sw, then i dont see why not. Also, the avic has its own clock on the top right corner of the screen in the navi option. and IMO, the navi looks a lot better than stock.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i compared my avic to my friends stock nav from an 09 C W204 and he said my nav can out do his nav =D so everything is pointing to the avic. please let me know if you have any more questions. a lot of the install questions are on 2mchar's and v12's thread as i stated earlier. and i'll see if i can snap some photos of my set up later tonight.
+1. Do some research and post any other questions on those threads.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM

2006 CLK 350
Nix on the SW clock control - I can only adjust time via the main screen using COMAND. The option does not appear on the speedometer dial when I cycle through. Possibly this is something that gets bypassed when COMAND is installed, and perhaps could be made to return is COMAND is removed, but that's more research to be done.

I have AVIC in two other cars and I do like it, so there is no question as to the improvement in features. I just don't want a lot of dead controls in my car. But the kit you mention that will allow me to reprogram my SW controls may be exactly what is needed! Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
you might want to call the dealer or indie shop to see if you can figure something out with the clock. but yeah the pac audio will let you program whatever you want. and i believe the newer ones will allow you to take control of the bt function from the avic.

when i call my service advisor, i'll ask about it as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 AM

2003 Mercedes CLK 500 & 2006 E55
Hey guys,

if you can customize what the steering wheel controls are, can you customize what the navi display shows as well? I like the feature on the comand that shows you a progress bar and was wondering if that would go away once you swap out the system. Thanks!

~James
Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
progress bar?

well i never started with command but the avics have like a little countdown and you can choose between time left, distance left and i believe the last one is expected time of arrival.

i also believe there is an option for a shortcut on screen to look at the overall course that you are driving.

hope that helps
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 AM

2003 Mercedes CLK 500 & 2006 E55
hey bheng,

sorry I should have clarified. On the oem navi, when you're scrolling through the available views on the speedometer, your navi view has a progress bar showing how many more ft before the turn. I was just wondering if that goes away when you switch to the avic. Thanks!

~James
Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Oracle

Many thanks!
Please let me know if you are going to sell your OEM Navi. Although I like the idea of aftermarket, Im hesitant to change to it. Guess it's the age thing, I'm getting old!!!

Please reach me if you are interested in selling it. Thx.

Jack